Our old classic Paper Mario friends are gone forever

NSY

Celestial Guide
This is the first Paper Mario game not to include enemy Tattles, recipes, Clubbas, Koopatrols, Crazy Dayzees, Amazy Dayzees, Gloombas, Frost Piranhas, Putrid Piranhas, Clefts, the Merlon clan, Peach as a playable character, or Whacka. This is because Shigeru Miyamoto did not want characters exclusive to the Paper Mario series in the game, besides Kersti.

Now he's gained full control.

kill him

Gloombas were based on SMB's underground Goombas, and Headbonk Goombas were based on SMB's castle Goombas. PM just gave them a name and made them subspecies

The complete age of NSMB domination has come.

Well to be honest most of the added enemies, species, etc. were nothing more from other games or just simply modified/edited versions.

It's not really the enemies they took out in sticker star thats a downfall, its everything else.

Isn't Miyamoto supposed to be stepping down from his current position at some point? Let's just hope he does by the time Intelligent Systems begins developing the next Paper Mario title.

Solar Blaze said:
Isn't Miyamoto supposed to be stepping down from his current position at some point? Let's just hope he does by the time Intelligent Systems begins developing the next Paper Mario title.
He already did, but he still goes and sees everything done because people ask him I guess.

I've worried that Shiggy's losing his edge; this confirms it. The uniqueness of the series; the more complex plotlines, the original characters, the unique locations, continue to erode.

Predicting right now: The next PM game will be four-player (Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad), and they will all be exactly the same.

NintendoLife: Paper Mario is a series that gives a greater voice and personality to the Mario universe, with the titles often praised for their comedic and light-hearted qualities. Can you share your views on this, and whether it's a priority to imbue these games with that character against the backdrop of the big-selling platform Mario titles?
Mr Kensuke Tanabe: The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the story or characters we focused instead on paper. We tried to add as many creative uses of paper as we could to the game. The theme of the game is stickers and we also put a lot of effort into this (including paperisation). Creating a world and story using only Mario characters meant for example we had to give each Toad a distinctive character even if they looked the same. So it was quite a challenge but I feel that we succeeded in overcoming it.

Virdrag said:
At least they'll always be with us in spirit...

Well aren't you positive?

True enough but alot of people just want another good mario rpg, like me for example.

Zae said:
Virdrag said:

True enough but alot of people just want another good mario rpg, like me for example.

Oh, I'm fully on board with you there. Sticker Star seems fun and all, and I haven't really beaten it yet, so I don't feel that I can really judge it. However, I personally was kind of hoping that it'd be a bit closer to the original two. I kind of feel like I'm just going through the motions right now while playing it. But maybe I'll warm up to it after playing it a bit more (I've only beaten the first world, so I've barely scratched its surface).

First of all, actaully making new partners exclusive to a Mario game is not a good thing. One reason is that the partners should be the other main characters who can't be playable in NSMB, not original ones. After Peach, Luigi and Bowser got playble in SPM, it's unfair no chance for the others this time in Sticker Star.

The other is that the partners who became Mario's best friends don't appear anymore, which is a waste of recycle. But the staff might also worry about that some new players who never played Paper games know nothing about the partners, unless partners are recurring enough.

Honestly, if the staff don't have a wall-prepared plan, what Miyamoto said might be correct.

Zae said:
Virdrag said:

the sticker star team claims it is its own genre, a "Sticker Battle Adventure"

Dorayaki said:
First of all, actaully making new partners exclusive to a Mario game is not a good thing. One reason is that the partners should be the other main characters who can't be playable in NSMB, not original ones. After Peach, Luigi and Bowser got playble in SPM, it's unfair no chance for the others this time in Sticker Star.

The other is that the partners who became Mario's best friends don't appear anymore, which is a waste of recycle. But the staff might also worry about that some new players who never played Paper games know nothing about the partners, unless partners are recurring enough.

Honestly, if the staff don't have a wall-prepared plan, what Miyamoto said might be correct.

Why can't we add both original characters and other Mario characters?

Thousand Year Door did it perfectly. In fact, no wonder people see it as the best game. It has Toadette in it! And a Waluigi reference!

Baby Luigi said:
Dorayaki said:

Thousand Year Door did it perfectly. In fact, no wonder people see it as the best game. It has Toadette in it! And a Waluigi reference!
And Piantas

*facepalm*

How did I forget one of the best species to ever exist since the creation of man's whipped butter breads?

Piantas make every game they touch SO much better! Even Super Mario Galaxy 2 is (kinda) saved from my criticism of the game.

Baby Luigi said:
I agree with that. I don't mean there shouldn't be any original character, they can appeal fans to buy or lead the story (if resonable), but don't make it only and all to Paper series. Making relationships for other main characters beside Mario is also a good point.

Seven Star would be a better example. I didn't think TT showed it.

Urgh... this doesn't even make any sense to me. No to mention that this is a 3DS installment for the Paper Mario series overall, so I'm not surprised to see all those "extras" not included in this game. Honestly, those cases are best for console installments, anyway; no need to change that.

MeritC said:
Urgh... this doesn't even make any sense to me. No to mention that this is a 3DS installment for the Paper Mario series overall, so I'm not surprised to see all those "extras" not included in this game. Honestly, those cases are best for console installments, anyway; no need to change that.
Well at least many Nintendo fans have 3DSs. Not very many have Wii Us (so expensive!) and they just came out
But I agree, a console game would've been better

I don't get why Sticker Star had to be a Paper Mario game, though, if it resembles more a Metroid game in structure than anything else. They could've created a new IP from it and let Intelligent Systems continue with their own stuff.

I'm sure they were not torturing them into doing it and Sticker Star was quite fun desperate being my least favourite OM game, I just don't like how SM is destroying traditions of the series.

Back