Connecticut Shooting

FE, don't be stupid. In average, 66.9% of the homicides in the US are perpetrated using a gun. That's obviously way more than the average rate for bow homicides.

Source, since I am someone who actually thinks what he says and researches it, instead of randomly babbling like a completely oblivious moron: www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/homicide.html

Someone who is going to to kill a bunch of people is not going to care if there are laws against guns.

Even if some won't care, I'm sure most will. Just look at how Japan did after introducing gun control. It should be in the politicians' hands to do everything they can to prevent things like this from happening, and that naturally means introducing gun control. Don't tell me you would like to see more shootings happening just because the stupid 2nd Amendment shouldn't be changed.

There was argument about letting teachers have guns, and saying that had the teachers had the gun, they could have at least prevented most of those people dying.

What I was annoyed (I heard this from someone so I might be a little off) was that the killer had aspergers, and that they were questioning whether or not it was part of the reason he went and did what he did.

Barely any people will aspergers/autism are like that. I mean, yeah, I have that, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to go on a rampage and kill a bunch of people. It was the aspergers, it was some other mental disability that made him insane enough to kill those people.

Of course gun control is not going to stop serial killers, or whatever. But it's going to decrease it. And that is an obvious fact.

After all, I don't live in America, and I never hear stuff like this happening in Australia. There have been drive-by shootings, sure, but no massacres like this.

Perhaps it's because of the fact that young people can get their hands on guns. Not just criminals or anything, but young people. Have you noticed the guy in Norway, the guy in the Batman shooting, and this guy were all in their 20's or so? Because young people, when given this sort of power, have less experience and are more likely to go overboard with the power it brings.

And whoever is saying that guns aren't the only weapon used to kill people, I ask you this - tell me the last time someone has killed over 20 people with a knife alone.

I should've posted earlier. =p

It was saddening to hear about this, especially considering most of these kids were like, 5 or 6. Things like this happen a lot, but it still makes me kinda sad to hear about it...

ChristmasEevee said:
there are tons of other things that could be used as weapons.

like knifes, swords, ropes, daggers, bombs and alll that jazz.
do you honestly believe a knife or worse, a sword can be used to kill 20 people in a matter of seconds

let alone a fucking rope

ChristmasEevee said:
The bow says hello.
you have a very skewed perception of the power and speed of a bow

Tucky the Snowman said:
Even if some won't care, I'm sure most will. Just look at how Japan did after introducing gun control. It should be in the politicians' hands to do everything they can to prevent things like this from happening, and that naturally means introducing gun control. Don't tell me you would like to see more shootings happening just because the stupid 2nd Amendment shouldn't be changed.

You accidentally posted this twice.

Oh God I must be psychic because I knew exactly what this discussion would turn into.

Before I get too pissed, I would like you to explain what you define as "tighter gun control"

And on topic, my prayers go out to the families of those killed by this man.

HoHoHoBanjo said:
Oh God I must be psychic because I knew exactly what this discussion would turn into.

Before I get too pissed, I would like you to explain what you define as "tighter gun control"

And on topic, my prayers go out to the families of those killed by this man.

You don't have to be psychic if you've given the news more than 30 seconds of attention, looked at anywhere else on the internet, or have talked about this with anyone at all. The issue of gun control is in primary focus right now, and you're blind and deaf if you somehow thought this would be a surprise to see it here, too. Gun control is always brought into focus after a shooting.

The thing is, though, this topic should not be a place to discuss gun control. If you really want to get pissed off about it, go do so elsewhere; make another topic about it.

Do not use this as a reason to get flippant about whatever your beliefs are. That is disrespectful and shameful. The issue of gun control is not simple at all, and it is a highly polarizing issue. I have my own beliefs on what should be the case, but here is not the place for it. Heck, the Marioboards is hardly the place for it, but if it's a topic people want to discuss, go for it, as long as there is actual data used and not just screaming opinions and declaring who is right and wrong.

You guys debating and getting angry about policy is not how these people should be remembered. Give your condolences, feel sad, think about the lives that have been lost and use this to be thankful for your own.

Well, today I got an email saying that the whole thing was a government conspiracy or something.

....people today are so stupid.

I would post it up, but I don't want to give it more attention which it was clearly made for.

I have some hunch to believe that the gunman did this because he fell into madness and went insane over the "Mayan predicting the end of the world" crap coming this Friday. Was a motive ever found anyways?

That's messed up. "Oh shit the world is ending, my only hope of saving the world is shooting up a school full of kids"

Why do people even listen to these rumours anyway? Hundreds upon hundreds of times, people have tried to predict the end of the world, and (obviously) not one of those predictions has been correct. And if people turn around to me and say "oh but the Mayans or whatever predicted 9/11", then don't you think that the terrorists saw this and thought "well perhaps we can scare some shit into these guys by making them think that this is happening"

Honestly, I'll be glad when this week is over, Friday the 21st has passed, and we can forget these rumours, because honestly I'm getting sick of them. None of this is directed at you Zero, I know that you're against these rumours too.

It's just that people try not to believe in the truth so hard, and believe in stupid things because they are easier to handle, like Deja Vu's caused by time travelers or aliens.

And I think the gunman had no rational thinking when it came to shooting kids (staying on the idea it was caused by end of the world rumors). He was just insane.

Well, no matter how rational it was or wasn't, I don't think that this was the first killing made by rumours of the end of the world. In fact, I reckon that things that happened earlier in the year, such as the Dark Knight Rises premier shooting was a whole end of the world fear, but I could be mistaken.

Mistletoed said:
The thing is, though, this topic should not be a place to discuss gun control. If you really want to get pissed off about it, go do so elsewhere; make another topic about it.
Per Hypnotoad. Gun control is a different conversation altogether (considering this topic was seemingly designed to mourn the loss of lives in the event rather than politics) and belongs in a different topic. Any further discussion of gun control should go in a topic specifically intended for the discussion of gun control.

EDIT: In case anybody asks, this statement is justified by Forum Rule #5, "Do not derail threads, i.e go off-topic for more than 3-4 posts. An example of going off-topic is debating Capitalism vs. Communism (believe it or not, a big problem here) in a topic about the new Presidential election. Additionally, posts that are completely irrelevant to a topic, (ex: posting "I like frogs" in a topic about 'The Rolling Stones') will be deleted; said poster will receive a warning."

That said, my heart goes out to those who lost their lives, and the friends and family of those individuals as well.

Mistletoed said:
*intelligence*

You know, forgive me. I wholeheartedly agree, and I apologize. I am starting to feel as if I spend most of my posts on this board apologizing, so please understand that even though it is one of many, it is a truthful one.

And I would like to reiterate just how much I feel for the families that lost people to this sick individual.

So I have a close cousin that is in pre-school right now, and her brother that is in 3rd grade. It appears a major reaction is happening all over the country from it, or at least in Michigan.

Any guests or parents or non-students that are to dropped off are not allowed to walk their students in, and that any parents that plan on picking up their students that plan on entering the building in the waiting hallway need to fill out a document every time they do so. I'm not even sure that any parents are really allowed to go even pass the waiting hallway that is right next to the doors.

It is quite an reaction to the shooting and how elementary schools are doing for their security system.

Learning more about the individuals that were killed makes this tougher and tougher to deal with.

They all seemed like amazing people.

Nemo said:
Weigh in your opinions, do you think this is as terrible or worst than Columbine?
My opinion is it is quite tasteless to compare deaths as if the loss of one's loved ones are worse than another's.

Groden said:
Nemo said:
Weigh in your opinions, do you think this is as terrible or worst than Columbine?
My opinion is it is quite tasteless to compare deaths as if the loss of one's loved ones are worse than another's.
Exactly, I get where your coming from. The higher number of deaths shouldn't make it worst; one person being killed is just terrible.

Back