Team Fortress 2: Christmas Calamity 6v9 Event

Crypt Raider

9 more seasons
001ixi.png

(credit to toadbert for cool drawing)
Thank you all for playing! Watch it from my POV here!

Pugilists, bartenders, and Santa Claus all agree one thing; the best way to celebrate the holidays is to violently maim your dearest friends in more ways you would probably care to think of. At Xephfrag, our local Team Fortress 2 server, we figured there could be one way to step it up; an organized maiming of friends! So welcome to the Christmas Calamity!

Previously mentioned in the Team Fortress 2 topic, we are throwing an event just in time for the holidays. It serves as an experiment that could lay the foundation of a more organized and intense, not to mentioned balanced, Awards Tourney II next summer; why not have some fun while playing around with the idea?

Also aforementioned, matches played are organized with 6 of our best Veterans versus 9 Challengers. The Veterans are in competitive 6v6 restrictions, meaning 2 of each class except for 1 Heavy, Engineer, Medic, and Demoman, are allowed to be played at one time. The Challengers are in Highlander mode, meaning they can have one of each class with a max of up to 9 players. While the Veterans team is locked, with the exception of substitute players if one of them is missing, the Challengers team is open to everyone else! It is a come and go process, but players who post what class they want to play before the first match are prioritized for their choice.

Games will be started as long as there are 6 players on both teams; agreements over what classes will be played and any special rules will be made if a worry over skill barrier is present. We hope to have 6v9 in order to reach the full potential of the matches, so please do make an effort to arrive! The games will last as long as people continue to come, and may be played again on other days should people be available.

[size=14pt]Map Rotation

Set I
Attack/Defend: Gorge
5 Control Points: Badlands
Payload: Badwater Basin
King of the Hill: Viaduct

Set II
Attack/Defend: Gravel Pit
5 Control Points: Granary
Payload: Gold Rush
King of the Hill: Harvest

Set III
Attack/Defend: Steel
5 Control Points: Gullywash
Payload: Hightower
King of the Hill: Lakeside

Set IV
Attack/Defend: Egypt
5 Control Points: Foundry
Payload: Hoodoo
King of the Hill: Nucleus

The Teams and Players
Leaderboard_class_scout.png
Leaderboard_class_soldier.png
Leaderboard_class_pyro.png
Leaderboard_class_demoman.png
Leaderboard_class_heavy.png
Leaderboard_class_engineer.png
Leaderboard_class_medic.png
Leaderboard_class_sniper.png
Leaderboard_class_spy.png
StoobenYesYesYesYesYes
TheFreshPrinceYesYesYesYesYes
GrodenYesYesYesYes
ToadbertYesYesYesYes
UnijuYesYesYesYes
MartinimanYesYesYesYesYesYes
LN1Yes
LilyYesYesYes
Mariomario64YesYesYesYes
MCSYesYesYesYes
FireEveeYesYesYesYes
Travis TouchdownYesYes
NaboYesYes
Crocodile DippyYesYesYes
QuizmoManiacYesYesYes
NeurarioYesYesYes
TurbYesYes
Snifit on StiltsYesYesYesYesYes
SnackYesYes
AntonYesYesYes
James FrontierYesYesYes
RedFire MarioYesYesYes
RiseUpAboveItYesYesYes

The veterans are:
  • Leaderboard_class_medic.png
    Stooben - The guy who pays to watch us murder each other. He just heals us so we keep doing it. Kinda sick in the head, ain't he?
  • Leaderboard_class_demoman.png
    TheFreshPrince - The harbinger of gang violence in the quiet Xephfrag, opposed to the regular violence normally found. He blows people up.
  • Leaderboard_class_soldier.png
    Groden - Protects the team's Holy Medic and the Incoming.
  • Leaderboard_class_soldier.png
    Toadbert - A hapless businessman who will dive bomb your Medic to ask if he can have a minute of his time to sell him plastic bowls.
  • Leaderboard_class_scout.png
    Uniju - Here to compliment your shooting and rip your face off with shotgun pellets.
  • Leaderboard_class_scout.png
    Martiniman - Here to compliment your shooting and rip your face off with off-classing.

Mentioned earlier, the Challengers are not in a fixed team. Come and go as you please if you dare to challenge the Veterans.

Special Rules
  • There are significant gameplay changes in order to encourage fairness and skill rather than luck. This includes random critical hits are turned off, damage is consistent, and shotgun spread is predictable rather than random.
  • The game modes we will be playing is 5 Control Points, Attack/Defend, Payload, and King of the Hill. Capture the Flag is too imbalanced considering the player amount and Special Delivery is unpopular within the community.
  • During Attack/Defend and Payload rounds, Stopwatch mode occurs. The first team on Attack have to set a record that the Defense must beat when it is their turn to attack. If BLU captures 2 points in 5 minutes, then RED has to capture the points faster than 5 minutes in order to beat BLU.
  • Tournament mode is also in. What this does is enable pre-game. Teams can be organized during pre-game, allowing for consistent teams, and strategy can be formed before the actual game starts.
  • All-talk voice chat is off so players can use it for strategic reasons, like planning pushes or telling the team to go aggressive or defensive. This is a more competitive event, so casual conversation can be done via regular text chat.
  • There are class restrictions on both sides, the standards for 6v6 and Highlander for the Veterans and Challengers respectively:

Class6v69v9
Leaderboard_class_scout.png
Leaderboard_class_soldier.png
Leaderboard_class_pyro.png
Leaderboard_class_demoman.png
Leaderboard_class_heavy.png
Leaderboard_class_engineer.png
Leaderboard_class_medic.png
Leaderboard_class_sniper.png
Leaderboard_class_spy.png

funny how I'm the only one expected to play Sniper on the Challengers team

Add Engie and Heavy to my list of preferred classes just in case. My first choice is still probably Scout though

Full Sentence Names Would Be A Horrible Fad said:
What gamemode will we likely be playing?

I don't really care so long as it isn't koth_turbine.
Koth_Turbine is not even an official map as far as I know. The game modes we will be playing is 5CP, A/D, Payload, and KOTH. I should probably add that info to the first post.

Snifit on Stilts said:
Put me as a possible attender please. Preferred class is sniper.
Are you still interested in Soldier, as well?

I'd like to add that I still don't know when my pc is going to be back and fast again.

but I hope it comes back early I can practice (I must use that december break time wisely) for scout and heavy.

also groden add me as an possible replacement pyro.

FireEevee said:
I'd like to add that I still don't know when my pc is going to be back and fast again.

but I hope it comes back early I can practice (I must use that december break time wisely) for scout and heavy.

also groden add me as an possible replacement pyro.
Alright. It looks like we have additional Heavies in case you are not available, hope you can come, though.

During Attack/Defend and Payload rounds, Stopwatch mode occurs. The first team on Attack have to set a record that the Defense must beat when it is their turn to attack. If BLU captures 2 points in 5 minutes, then RED has to do the same in order to beat BLU.

Should say RED has to do it faster to beat BLU.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
During Attack/Defend and Payload rounds, Stopwatch mode occurs. The first team on Attack have to set a record that the Defense must beat when it is their turn to attack. If BLU captures 2 points in 5 minutes, then RED has to do the same in order to beat BLU.

Should say RED has to do it faster to beat BLU.
Right, I'll fix that.

Here are some base map ideas for you guys to discuss on. I'm pretty sure 12 matches is more than enough for us all if the event will only last one day, but if we somehow hold more, then we can just vote on it then.

ATTACK/DEFEND
  • Gorge
  • Gravel Pit
  • Steel

5 CONTROL POINTS
  • Badlands
  • Granary
  • Gullywash

PAYLOAD
  • Goldrush
  • Badwater
  • Hightower

KING OF THE HILL
  • Viaduct
  • Nucleus
  • Harvest

My top 5 suggestions:

1. cp_steel
2. cp_steel
3. cp_steel
4. cp_steel
5. koth_nucleus

In seriousness, I think Nucleus, Viaduct, and Badlands should def be on there. Gorge and Upwards are fun too.

Also, how about plr_hightower?

I think I'd prefer Steel to Mountain Lab, honestly. no joke

I'm actually fine with all of those maps listed, except for Mountain Lab.

Gorge, Granary, Goldrush, and Nucleus should be included, no doubt.

Would kind of like to see Dustbowl, Foundry, or Hoodoo included...although I think Foundry is still screwy on our server.

Stooben said:
I think I'd prefer Steel to Mountain Lab, honestly. no joke

I'm actually fine with all of those maps listed, except for Mountain Lab.

Gorge, Granary, Goldrush, and Nucleus should be included, no doubt.

Would kind of like to see Dustbowl, Foundry, or Hoodoo included...although I think Foundry is still screwy on our server.
Dustbowl is veeery imbalanced in Stopwatch mode. There is a reason it is never played in competitive. Foundry, yeah, probably. Hoodoo, sure.

I actually forgot about Steel, I was out of ideas for Attack/Defend.

Yeah I guess I forgot to mention in the previous post but I'm not a big fan of Mountain Lab either. And I like Steel

Snifit on Stilts said:
Are any weapons banned?
No, despite following competitive class restrictions and game rules, no weapons are banned. This does unbalance a few weapons, but usually it doesn't make that big of a difference.

Back