Worse or better?

Are the Mario games getting better or worse (not just series I mean spinoof too)

• Better

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Worse

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • The same

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Spinoff better Series worse

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Series better Spinoff worse

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

YoshiMonsta

Yoshi! Yoshi!
Are the recent Mario games better or worse than you remember. I think actually worse, they are adding all these new things that they are ruining the original gaming style.

I think the series is worse for this short time but will get better after PMSS and LMDM come out.

I think that the animation, and story development is getting better story plots. Also the game play, enemy variety, boss creativity, and and stage challenge is getting better. Spinoffs are always the same to me, you do sports, use special move, maneuver gimmicks, and get hurt. All in all, I think that games are getting better though spinoffs will never drastically change.

The series is not at it's best right now but it's latest games are looking very good.

Herobrine said:
and story development is getting better story plots. Also the game play, enemy variety, boss creativity, and and stage challenge is getting better.
This is a joke, right?
The plot in a Mario series has never been good (though PM:TTYD and SPM were decent, I guess).
Gameplay? We keep getting rehashed versions of the same game (SMB3 isn't the only game you've made, Nintendo!)
Boss creativity has pretty much sunken to Koopalings and Koopalings only. Even Boom Boom and Pom Pom in 3DL played exactly like the koopalings. As for challenge, I still can't beat the original Super Mario Bros. whereas I never got a single game over in the recent games.

Honestly, truly honestly, I'm not seeing where you're coming from.

I personally think it is getting worse.

Here is why:

First of all, all the New Super Mario Bros games are getting old, Nintendo is not doing anything new
Nintendo is starting to get weaker with their creativity, no longer as creative as even the original NEW Super Mario Bros was

Really, it's lack of originality. If they can come up with something different for the Wii U, I may change my mind.

Though Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon gives me some hope! :)

Herobrine said:
and story development is getting better story plots.
Really? How do you explain the bugs from NSMB? Or do you simply mean some stories from RPG series?

In this topic, I think Mario 3D games have been leveled up. NSMB are more delicate than SMB, but the staff didn't debug the formula and put too much stress on being like the old SMB games.

In spinoff games, sport games are getting more and more refined, but we need some shake-ups and other original spinoff games. The roster of spinoffs is also a longstangding problem. Generally not getting worse or better.

Icanhasgoomba said:
Who voted that Series are getting better and Spinoffs worse?

Some ass-kisser maybe.

Anyway, the series is NOT getting worse in my opinion. For me, it's just stagnating like hell.

Most responses said that it's getting worse simply because it lacks creativity, but actually, it's just remaining stagnant. Which is hurting the series.

E.V.I.L said:
I personally think it is getting worse.

Here is why:

First of all, all the New Super Mario Bros games are getting old, Nintendo is not doing anything new
Nintendo is starting to get weaker with their creativity, no longer as creative as even the original NEW Super Mario Bros was

Really, it's lack of originality. If they can come up with something different for the Wii U, I may change my mind.

Though Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon gives me some hope! :)

Your think games are lacking originality and your hoping that a SEQUEL will be original?

I think that most people agree, in that the games are worse. Nintendo still has yet to realize that using ideas that are old and bringing them back again does not make it original (hence Tanooki suit) and that making sequels is not making better games (necessarily) and even if they add new items, enemies, or characters is it really making it more original? I think not.

Bowser45 said:
Your think games are lacking originality and your hoping that a SEQUEL will be original?

The problem is that you think sequels are automatically simply older stuff built upon into a new game. That's not true at all. Super Mario World is a sequel to Super Mario Bros. 3 and it's really hard to tell the similarities between the two besides looking at core gameplay values. Same can be said with Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 2. New Super Mario Bros. 2, however, shows almost completely no new signs of differentiation than New Super Mario Bros. other than the pathetic coins. You can tell the similarities more than the differences.

There is a difference between sequel through innovation and sequel that looks like a patched, hacked game.

Objectively it's going downhill now that they've realized it's more profitable to market to casuals while "appealing to veterans" by sticking in an old powerup or something.

I think they are on the same par as the other games the only reason people think they are worse is because of a mixture of lack of creativity and nostalgia

Tyrannosaurus Debt said:
I think they are on the same par as the other games the only reason people think they are worse is because of a mixture of lack of creativity and nostalgia
I was actually pretty pissed off with the level design in NSMB2 to be honest.

I'd say they are allright. Some games are really good and keep me playing for ages. Others like 3D land don't but are still fun on the first playthrough. I like the classic Mario games to an extent. I like their design characters and levels but not the difficulty. I cannot even get to World 8 on SMB 1-3. I like the reduced difficulty in recent games but not so that they are too easy like 3D Land though that being said SMG and SMG2 still have their hard missions but they are thankfully only optional. I like Mario games from the N64 era and onward the most personally I think they have the right balance of everything a Mario game is best at. I like the look of the new Dark Moon and Sticker Star games though and really want to get them. The spinoffs have been good for a while now though with Party 9 in my opinion being the best in the series and Kart 7 pretty fun though I prefer Mario Kart Wii.

Lumin Blade said:
Recent Mario spin-offs have always disappointed for me. (Bad roster and gameplay)
But main series have not bad.

???????? Correct your grammar please, this makes no sense. But spinoffs are not disappointing but rather good in their own way. Gameplay may not be the best but they are still okay.

I dunno, addictive with powerups and different enemies, traveling throughout different worlds, to save a princess from a monster that you get to stomp on as well. What is to like about that?

(This is mostly directed at NSMB2 and a bit of SM3DL)

Alright. *breath*

First off, the level design is pretty bad. The levels are extremely boring, with the only "gimmicks" being either used before (autoscrolling) or incredibly tedious/boring (going off-screen in a place makes the camera pan upwards revealing secret location, touching a certain tile reveals stuff) and Star Coins and other secrets either hidden by the ridiculous gimmicks or either being put in stupidly difficult positions (prime example being the one Star Medal in one of the beach levels in SM3DL, where you have to abuse the Boomerang Suit to get it).

The bosses are getting incredibly repetitive as well. I'm getting tired of the "stomp, run, stomp, run, stomp, dead" pattern which is oh so overused with Boom-Boom/Pom-Pom, the Koopalings, and Bowser Jr. You see, NSMB (original) had great bosses because it was a mix of veteran bosses (Petey Piranha, Bowser, Mega Goomba in a way) and brand-spanking-new powered up versions of the common mooks we see so often (Mummipokey, Cheepskate, Lakithunder, Mole Tank). The other two NSMB games have the Koopalings, Bowser Jr, and Bowser. The one problem with Bowser is that in recent games it's been "fucking easy SMB1 style" first form, and then all of the sudden, "fake plot twist bowser turns giant run for your life" second form. Nintendo's become guilty of this since NSMBWii.

The powerup selection is a bad offender. This bad habit of "introduce new powerup (Boomerang Suit, Gold Flower) and bring back old one (Tanooki Suit, Super Leaf) to make veterans happy" is making me want to vomit all over Nintendo's headquarters. This trick isn't working. Either introduce a whole new cast of creative powerups (like NSMBWii) or bring back a barrel full of old ones and fan favorites like the Cape Feather and Kuribo's Shoe.

The problem is that younger kids can't tell if the game's quality, for other than Virtual Console and eBay they have no access to older, more creative games, and even if they did get their hands on them they most likely would criticize them for being "old" and "the graphics aren't good" because everyone fucking cares if the graphics are HD. The graphics (and gore level, apparently) shouldn't control what games you play. This problem is giving Nintendo little incentive, which is why we've been getting so many vanilla games lately.

Back