Worse or better?

Are the Mario games getting better or worse (not just series I mean spinoof too)

• Better

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Worse

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • The same

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Spinoff better Series worse

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Series better Spinoff worse

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Icanhasgoomba said:
I don't care if it is repetitive as long as it is good!

Yes, but here's my comparison for you.

A chocolate bar when you first eat it is good. After the 5th one, it's kinda gross.

Same thing with these games. They still somewhat entertain but they are about to become "kinda gross".

E.V.I.L said:
Icanhasgoomba said:

A chocolate bar when you first eat it is good. After the 5th one, it's kinda gross.

Same thing with these games. They still somewhat entertain but they are about to become "kinda gross".

Bad comparison, I can eat as many chocolate bars as I want without getting grossed out.

Gir said:
(This is mostly directed at NSMB2 and a bit of SM3DL)

Alright. *breath*

First off, the level design is pretty bad. The levels are extremely boring, with the only "gimmicks" being either used before (autoscrolling) or incredibly tedious/boring (going off-screen in a place makes the camera pan upwards revealing secret location, touching a certain tile reveals stuff) and Star Coins and other secrets either hidden by the ridiculous gimmicks or either being put in stupidly difficult positions (prime example being the one Star Medal in one of the beach levels in SM3DL, where you have to abuse the Boomerang Suit to get it).

The bosses are getting incredibly repetitive as well. I'm getting tired of the "stomp, run, stomp, run, stomp, dead" pattern which is oh so overused with Boom-Boom/Pom-Pom, the Koopalings, and Bowser Jr. You see, NSMB (original) had great bosses because it was a mix of veteran bosses (Petey Piranha, Bowser, Mega Goomba in a way) and brand-spanking-new powered up versions of the common mooks we see so often (Mummipokey, Cheepskate, Lakithunder, Mole Tank). The other two NSMB games have the Koopalings, Bowser Jr, and Bowser. The one problem with Bowser is that in recent games it's been fucking easy SMB1 style" first form, and then all of the sudden, "fake plot twist bowser turns giant run for your life" second form. Nintendo's become guilty of this since NSMBWii.

The powerup selection is a bad offender. This bad habit of "introduce new powerup (Boomerang Suit, Gold Flower) and bring back old one (Tanooki Suit, Super Leaf) to make veterans happy" is making me want to vomit all over Nintendo's headquarters. This trick isn't working. Either introduce a whole new cast of creative powerups (like NSMBWii) or bring back a barrel full of old ones and fan favorites like the Cape Feather and Kuribo's Shoe.

The problem is that younger kids can't tell if the game's quality, for other than Virtual Console and eBay they have no access to older, more creative games, and even if they did get their hands on them they most likely would criticize them for being "old" and "the graphics aren't good" because everyone fucking cares if the graphics are HD. The graphics (and gore level, apparently) shouldn't control what games you play. This problem is giving Nintendo little incentive, which is why we've been getting so many vanilla games lately.
Firstly I had no problem about the level design in NSMB2, it was ok for the most part. Secondly they brung back Racoon Mario and everyone loved that. I do agree that the bosses need to improve though, everything else here I'm against.

The only problem with the spin-offs is the rosters which I don't care as much as you other roster lovers do. (BLOF, LGM, Lumin Blade, aiming this at you three here)

Icanhasgoomba said:
E.V.I.L said:
Icanhasgoomba said:

Bad comparison, I can eat as many chocolate bars as I want without getting grossed out.

Not true. Try eating just chocolate bars. Have a diet composed entirely of chocolate bars and see how that turns out.

Baby Luigi said:
Icanhasgoomba said:
E.V.I.L said:
Icanhasgoomba said:

Not true. Try eating just chocolate bars. Have a diet composed entirely of chocolate bars and see how that turns out.
Exactly. That's how it's like with the Mario series. They should make a new game where Mario has totally new abilities with a SiFi theme to it.

Pokémon Trainer Nate said:
Baby Luigi said:
Icanhasgoomba said:
E.V.I.L said:
Icanhasgoomba said:

Exactly. That's how it's like with the Mario series. They should make a new game where Mario has totally new abilities with a SiFi theme to it.

Don't you mean "sci-fi"?

What about the spinoffs are better than the recent series? I believe they are both going down a bad road at this point.

YoshiMonsta said:
What about the spinoffs are better than the recent series? I believe they are both going down a bad road at this point.

Yeah, Mario Kart 7 kinda sucks. I did like Mario Tennis Open, but the bad point was the obvious lack of Baby Luigi in that game

Loving the recent spinoffs is saying that Mario Kart 7 could not be 50% improved. Not that the series is getting better, it is getting worse as well.

YoshiMonsta said:
Loving the recent spinoffs is saying that Mario Kart 7 could not be 50% improved. Not that the series is getting better, it is getting worse as well.

If only they are willing to have DLC for that game....

People need to re-think their votes after NSMBU, which is easily the best game of the NSMB series by several miles.

Yeah, but that's one game. Just because one game is better doesn't make the whole entire series good.

I fully agree with Pyro, who's expressed a lot of my thoughts on the recent games.

I think they're worsening dangerously. Before, it used to be like "OMG, a new Mario game is coming!!", and now it's like "What, another one?" The quality of the games has also decreased a lot, and I'm talking about both spin-offs and the main series.

Legault said:
People need to re-think their votes after NSMBU, which is easily the best game of the NSMB series by several miles.

It's not like the New Super Mario Bros. series is that good anyway. None of the games set the bar very high.

Anser said:
I think they're worsening dangerously. Before, it used to be like "OMG, a new Mario game is coming!!", and now it's like "What, another one?" The quality of the games has also decreased a lot, and I'm talking about both spin-offs and the main series.
I guess not just too many games for the loss of quality. I care more about too many certain games and still no other games.

Anser said:

Legault said:

It's not like the New Super Mario Bros. series is that good anyway. None of the games set the bar very high.

Yeah, the New Super Mario Bros. games are fun, but just...soulless.

Back