He may move slow, he can't jump high, but this kong's...

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Okay, in DK64, "hell" was used in Chunky's portion of the Monkey Rap and the game still got away with an E Rating.

In Melee, "hell" was changed to "heck" despite the fact that Melee had a T Rating. What gives?

I swear that thing you said in the first post happened before, but I can't remember which games... :O

I heard about this before. But besides, Melee was rated T for the same reason Brawl was rated T. But I don't think a game should change its' rating just for one light use of a "bad word" that isn't even a bad word. The word's in the Bible too.

MCS said:
I heard about this before. But besides, Melee was rated T for the same reason Brawl was rated T.
Kinda, but not really.

Melee was T because there was no better rating (I seriously believe it would've been E10+ if they had that rating back then).
Brawl was T because Samus took her clothes off, and also possibly because of Snake.

MCS said:
But I don't think a game should change its' rating just for one light use of a "bad word" that isn't even a bad word. The word's in the Bible too.
In the Bible, Hell was used to refer to the underworld that was controlled by Satan (or something like that), and not as a swear word.

Now let's steer away from here before this becomes a religious discussion.

Aaand ninja'd.

Yoshibaker said:
Used in a different way, though.

That's true, the word has evolved to be used other ways since then. But yeah, I don't mean to get too much into religion, but the fact that it's in the Bible doesn't really constitute it as a bad word. I never viewed it as such.

Magikrazy said:
Melee was T because there was no better rating (I seriously believe it would've been E10+ if they had that rating back then).
Brawl was T because Samus took her clothes off, and also possibly because of Snake.

Samus didn't really "take her clothes off", she just got out of her power suit. But yeah, Snake probably did it.

Okay, Hell isn't a "bad word", it's a place that is the opposite of the heaven, that's all.

I can imagine what would Minnie. T's post in this topic be...

And per Magikrazy.

Also, what did Snake do that got Brawl rated T?

Bronto Burt said:
Also, what did Snake do that got Brawl rated T?

He comes from a game that's rated M. And his weapons consist of many different types of guns.

EDIT: aaaand ninja'd

Bronto Burt said:
Okay, Hell isn't a "bad word", it's a place that is the opposite of the heaven, that's all.

That's how I always viewed it.

Is that so, then why did Nintendo bother putting him here?

MCS said:
Bronto Burt said:

Well, it depends on the context. If you're talking about the underworld and call it "Hell", there's nothing wrong with that. If you see something weird and you say "What the hell is that?" or something akin to that, then you're saying a swear.

Bronto Burt said:
The creator of the series, Hideo Kojima, pretty much begged for Nintendo to put Solid Snake in Brawl.

What's really odd is that DK64 was made by Rare, a British company, hence why "hell" was put in DK64. But when Mario Party 8 comes around, British people were offended by the use of "spastic" in the game.

Bronto Burt said:

According to Sakurai, Snake's creator "practically begged" for Snake to be put in Melee, but Melee was already close to being finished so it was too let. Snake was put in Brawl instead.

Braeburn said:
MCS said:
Bronto Burt said:

Well, it depends on the context. If you're talking about the underworld and call it "Hell", there's nothing wrong with that. If you see something weird and you say "What the hell is that?" or something akin to that, then you're saying a swear.
^

And I don't really see what Snake has to do with Brawl being T-rated. Nothing he does in-game would give a reason for the game to be T-rated.

Yoshibaker said:
Braeburn said:
MCS said:
Bronto Burt said:

^

And I don't really see what Snake has to do with Brawl being T-rated. Nothing he does in-game would give a reason for the game to be T-rated.
A lot of his moves do involve using realistic explosives, but I don't really think that could give a T rating. E-10, at the most.

Big McIntosh said:
What's really odd is that DK64 was made by Rare, a British company, hence why "hell" was put in DK64. But when Mario Party 8 comes around, British people were offended by the use of "spastic" in the game.

Video game consumers have changed quite a bit in the years between DK64 and MP8, though this particular example deals with the connotations certain words have in different countries/regions.

On another note, Brawl received its rating for "cartoon violence" and "crude humor," which basically means (if I had to guess) for having Nintendo characters (and two third-party characters) beat the crap out of each other and for things like the Otacon exchanges.

Braeburn said:
The creator of the series, Hideo Kojima, pretty much begged for Nintendo to put Solid Snake in Brawl.

Alrighty then.

Big McIntosh said:

"Spastic" British meaning is much more offensive than how Americans view "hell". "Spastic" in British terms is very similar to the American "retarded" when used offensively.

The game was made by a British company, and the word ''hell'' isnt that bad of a word to them, since Melee was made by a non British company, they changed it to heck.

SuperNick3DLand said:
The game was made by a British company, and the word ''hell'' isnt that bad of a word to them, since Melee was made by a non British company, they changed it to heck.

So, if I make a kid's game, I'm allowed to put the word "hell" on it, thanks.

That's a pretty cool theory

Also, I think Brawl's crude humor rating might have been triggered because of Wario's farting moves.

Baby Luigi said:
Big McIntosh said:

"Spastic" British meaning is much more offensive than how Americans view "hell". "Spastic" in British terms is very similar to the American "retarded" when used offensively.
^

Words sometimes have different connotations going from one end of the pond to the other. Another good example is the word "hoodie". Here, it's a fairly popular article of clothing. In the UK (correct me if i'm wrong) it can also refer to the person in the clothing, where it almost means "gangster".

Byakuya Togami said:
On another note, Brawl received its rating for "cartoon violence" and "crude humor," which basically means (if I had to guess) for having Nintendo characters (and two third-party characters) beat the crap out of each other and for things like the Otacon exchanges.
Crude humor = Wario.

Exactly. The fact that he has an attack where he passes gas, and the word "farting" is said in Snake's codec conversation on Wario. To be honest I think it's kinda funny, but I kinda wish they didn't include it. Then again, this is Wario we're talking about. He's all about crude humor.

Back