The Koopalings are NOT Bowser's Children.

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
tumblr_macscsEUWm1rw70wfo1_r1_500.png

OH GOD DAMMIT!!!

...Well, if people complained enough to get Nintendo to create a Legend of Zelda timeline, I'm sure if enough people complain, they'll reconsider on this. Please... PLEASE, for God's sake!

Jack Noir said:
Miyamoto is good troll.

How's Miyamoto trolling? Was there ever a Mario game that specifically stated the koopalings were Bowser's kids? If not, that's wasn't Miyamoto trolling, that was fans making assumptions.

Don Pianta said:
Jack Noir said:
Miyamoto is good troll.

How's Miyamoto trolling? Was there ever a Mario game that specifically stated the koopalings were Bowser's kids? If not, that's wasn't Miyamoto trolling, that was fans making assumptions.
"Ha Ha Ha!
These are my 7 children that
are going to help me take over
the Mushroom World!"
That's from Bowser in the SMB3 manual

People Running About said:
Don Pianta said:
Jack Noir said:
Miyamoto is good troll.

"Ha Ha Ha!
the Mushroom World!"
To me, it's kind of like how the Mario Bros. are supposed to be from Brooklyn, even though nothing in the games suggest that. In fact, Yoshi's Island almost contradicts it, even though you can still work out both as being possible.

Really, though, I think the problem is how Nintendo of America handled it as opposed to what Shigeru Miyamoto and Nintendo's Japanese counterparts handled things, kind of like how Dr. Eggman was Robotnik in America (and still is, but I don't want to get into that, AGAIN).

I had a feeling this might have been the case when early Japanese scans previewing New Super Mario Bros. Wii mentioned something similar to this, but an actual confirmation from the man himself... it's kind of disheartening...

Smashgoom202 said:
Don Pianta said:
Jack Noir said:
Miyamoto is good troll.

"Ha Ha Ha!
the Mushroom World!"
To me, it's kind of like how the Mario Bros. are supposed to be from Brooklyn, even though nothing in the games suggest that. In fact, Yoshi's Island almost contradicts it, even though you can still work out both as being possible.
That's not true the SM64 guide from Nintendo Power calls Mario a visitor from Brooklyn

Yeah, don't trust the Western localisations because the developers had nothing to do with that.

They could still be Bowser Jr's cousins though, and then we'd know that Bowser had a brother called Morton if that held true. In any case, related or not, they're still the same characters they always were.

kat-rin koopa said:
Yeah, don't trust the Western localisations because the developers had nothing to do with that.

They could still be Bowser Jr's cousins though, and then we'd know that Bowser had a brother called Morton if that held true. In any case, related or not, they're still the same characters they always were.
No there not you can't establish some them as being Bowser's kids and then just drop that for no reason.

It probably has something to do with the fact I strongly dislike the Koopalings, but I personally don't really care about this.

Smashgoom202 said:
Don Pianta said:
Jack Noir said:
Miyamoto is good troll.

"Ha Ha Ha!
the Mushroom World!"
That's not true the SM64 guide from Nintendo Power calls Mario a visitor from Brooklyn
Ah-HA! But there's the thing, it said in NINTENDO POWER, which is (or was :'( ) an AMERICAN magazine, and therefore, still under the guidance of what Nintendo of America localization said.

Seriously, this new generation with the Internet sort of killed region-specific continuities for games, and with such easy access to the creators themselves, you can get their impressions on just about anything.

Personally, this actually annoys me. Probably because I really hate Bowser Jr. First he replaces the Koopalings, now they were suddenly never really Bowser's children in the first place, despite it being stated they were!

Smasher said:
It probably has something to do with the fact I strongly dislike the Koopalings, but I personally don't really care about this.
Same here. This does not effect gameplay whatsoever.

kat-rin koopa said:

No there not you can't establish some them as being Bowser's kids and then just drop that for no reason.

Even if it had been that way (which there's no indication of there being in Japan), you could very easily drop it because it has never affected the games in any way.

Per Smasher and GalacticPetey. Changing a character's backstory or relationship with other characters doesn't really make them different unless they did something horribly out of character.

kat-rin koopa said:
kat-rin koopa said:

Even if it had been that way (which there's no indication of there being in Japan), you could very easily drop it because it has never affected the games in any way.
Dude how do you lose your statues as being someones child also weren't most original guides just translated into English?

Plenty of other material suggests both or remains neutral. Pick the story you like and stick with it. It's not like Mario has an intricate plot anyway.

And Miyamoto's losing his touch, IMO; supposedly he's behing a lot of the "dumbing down" of the more recent platformers in order to further expand the audience (which is good business strategy, so I assume they'll keep doing it)

kat-rin koopa said:
kat-rin koopa said:

Dude how do you lose your statues as being someones child also weren't most original guides just translated into English?
Again, I bring up: Robotnik was Eggman in Japan. There were a LOT of things that differed between versions of Japanese and Western games. It's not that hard to believe that, while the west was told that the Koopalings were Bowser's children, Japan was told no such thing.

Gummy said:
Plenty of other material suggests both or remains neutral. Pick the story you like and stick with it. It's not like Mario has an intricate plot anyway.

And Miyamoto's losing his touch, IMO; supposedly he's behing a lot of the "dumbing down" of the more recent platformers in order to further expand the audience (which is good business strategy, so I assume they'll keep doing it)
He stopped the plot of the Galaxy series from developing so that they would focus on the gameplay

Back