I still don't get it

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
why do people dislike super mario sunshine?

I liked it. hell I know the bosses are lame but I found the game itself good.
 

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Don Pianta said:
You know how in Super Mario 64 you were free to get some of the power stars in whatever order you wanted? (i.e. In Bob-Omb Battlefield you could get the star in Chain Chomp's cage before fighting the Bob-Omb King.) The only Shine Sprites that can be skipped are the ones in Delfino Plaza and the first one in Bianco Hills.

Too many red coin missions, compared to 64.

The FLUDD-less levels.

Introduced Bowser Jr. whom many people hate because they believe he replaced the koopalings.

In order to beat the game, you have to complete mission 7 in each world which is kind of easier said than done considering how difficult some of the worlds' sixth missions were.

Also, any reason previously posted (voice acting, lack of classic Mario enemies)
Don Pianta said:
I can provide a few reasons I've heard other people have said before:

1. It's in Isle Delfino and some people aren't big fans of Piantas and Nokis or having to collect Shine Sprites instead of Stars.
2. No classic enemies.
3. Koopaling fanboys/girls hate Bowser Jr. because their nostalgia glasses are on too tight they think he replaced the koopalings. Although Superstar Saga and NSMBW proved that wrong.
4. Mario has to receive help from FLUDD, which many people consider a tool and are upset that Mario can't just jump by himself.
5. Not a problem for people who like to complete a game 100%, but in Sunshine, every Shine Sprite up to Mission 7 from each world MUST be collected in order to reach the final level. Unlike in SM64 where any stars would suffice as long as you had enough.
6. Levels aren't really diverse enough as they're all tropical themed.
7. Too many red coins missions. Most of which are timed by the way. Although the ones in the secret areas are optional.
TLDR:
GreenDisaster said:
It was different.
 

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
I like the theme of the game.

it's very tropical-ish.

also I liked certain bosses.

Manta Storm was a good boss.

GreenDisaster said:
It was different.
Yeah people complain when changes happen.
 

The Mandalorian

Mushroom Attendant
You dumbasses hate EVERYTHING!

Why don't you LIKE something for once? First it's the SMG series, then the Mario and Luigi Sequels, then some paper mario stuff, then one of the older Super Mario Bros. sequels, and now THIS.

I thought SMS was one of the GOOD games!
 

The Mandalorian

Mushroom Attendant
Just seems like no one can settle on a good game right now. They're always picking out flaws in one game, and once we've settled that game is crap, I see another thread claiming that you all dislike another game.
 

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
Super Mario Sunshine is one of my favorite games, period. Until I sold it, I played it so many times, and I managed to get to nearly 100%.

So don't start insulting me and making assumptions.
 

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
Bane said:
You dumbasses hate EVERYTHING!

Why don't you LIKE something for once? First it's the SMG series, then the Mario and Luigi Sequels, then some paper mario stuff, then one of the older Super Mario Bros. sequels, and now THIS.

I thought SMS was one of the GOOD games!
GP... stop making me facepalm.

CHECK THE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE YOU POST.

Edit: NVM, I thought you were GP because of batman theme.
 

The Mandalorian

Mushroom Attendant
GreenDisaster said:
Super Mario Sunshine is one of my favorite games, period. Until I sold it, I played it so many times, and I managed to get to nearly 100%.

So don't start insulting me and making assumptions.
Not insulting you. I'm insulting the guys who FE was referring to.

FireKirby said:
why do people dislike super mario sunshine?
This here

FireKirby said:
Bane said:
You dumbasses hate EVERYTHING!

Why don't you LIKE something for once? First it's the SMG series, then the Mario and Luigi Sequels, then some paper mario stuff, then one of the older Super Mario Bros. sequels, and now THIS.

I thought SMS was one of the GOOD games!
GP... stop making me facepalm.

CHECK THE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE YOU POST.

Edit: NVM, I thought you were GP because of batman theme.
Maybe you need to research some stuff too.
 

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
GreenDisaster said:
So don't start insulting me and making assumptions.
By assumption I'm guessing you're referring to this:
Don Pianta said:
and until he says otherwise, GD is neutral.
considering you didn't say whether you liked or hated Sunshine in your previous posts, I figured you didn't lean towards either side until a confirmation was made.
 

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
Don Pianta said:
GreenDisaster said:
So don't start insulting me and making assumptions.
By assumption I'm guessing you're referring to this:
Don Pianta said:
and until he says otherwise, GD is neutral.
considering you didn't say whether you liked or hated Sunshine in your previous posts, I figured you didn't lean towards either side until a confirmation was made.
Not you.

Bane said:
GreenDisaster said:
Super Mario Sunshine is one of my favorite games, period. Until I sold it, I played it so many times, and I managed to get to nearly 100%.

So don't start insulting me and making assumptions.
Not insulting you. I'm insulting the guys who FE was referring to.
FE didn't actually refer to anyone other than a generic "people" while you actually used "you", which would generally refer to the other people in the thread.
 

The Mandalorian

Mushroom Attendant
GreenDisaster said:
Bane said:
GreenDisaster said:
Super Mario Sunshine is one of my favorite games, period. Until I sold it, I played it so many times, and I managed to get to nearly 100%.

So don't start insulting me and making assumptions.
Not insulting you. I'm insulting the guys who FE was referring to.
FE didn't actually refer to anyone other than a generic "people" while you actually used "you", which would generally refer to the other people in the thread.
That's ruddy well worse. Now the whole world cannot agree on a likeable game.
 

Legault

Monty Mole
I started replaying Sunshine about a week ago, and I'm really surprised how well the game has aged. I really admire how the dev team wasn't content on churning out a direct sequel to 64 and instead tried something different, and it worked brilliantly. FLUDD was great, the new levels were all intricately designed, and the game had a refreshing amount of actual difficulty. Blue coins were fun if you actually took the time to get them in-between shines and not simply wait until the end.

People just complain about new things, especially when the game's just come out. I suspect that over time, Sunshine will finally receive the widespread appreciation it deserves.
 

GutsehMan

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman.
i literally bought sunshine about a week ago

....why did i never buy this game
 

Annie Eilenberg

Sera Island's #1 Alchemist
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
i liked the blue coins, they gave you a tangible reward for taking the time and effort to explore the levels rather than just making a beeline for the shines

noki bay was awful with them though
 

Tyrell Badd

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
I liked the Blue Coins too for the reason that Blocky stated, and I too agree that they were terrible on Noki Boy.

Also, the Toxic Waterfall is a terrible level.
 

Red Barchetta

Talk less, smile more.
Legault said:
I started replaying Sunshine about a week ago, and I'm really surprised how well the game has aged. I really admire how the dev team wasn't content on churning out a direct sequel to 64 and instead tried something different, and it worked brilliantly. FLUDD was great, the new levels were all intricately designed, and the game had a refreshing amount of actual difficulty. Blue coins were fun if you actually took the time to get them in-between shines and not simply wait until the end.

People just complain about new things, especially when the game's just come out. I suspect that over time, Sunshine will finally receive the widespread appreciation it deserves.
schmutz said:
One of my favorite games. People are just too resistant to change.
I have to agree with these two posts. Super Mario Sunshine ranks in my top 5 video games and is my favorite Mario game.
 

EctoBiologist

Best cat themed touhou. I love touhou and DR.
Banned User
Butterscotch Surprise said:
i liked the blue coins, they gave you a tangible reward for taking the time and effort to explore the levels rather than just making a beeline for the shines

noki bay was awful with them though
the circle one is a pain in the ass.
 
Top