Do you think Nintendo is going downhill

Do you think Nintendo is going downhill

• Yes, their products aren't as good as they used to be but are still decent

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Yes, their products are getting worse and worse as days pass and nintendo need to act soon

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Yes, their products already are terrible and I miss the old days

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Nintendo have always been bad game developers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, their products are still at very good quality

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • No, I think they are getting better

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
I would say no, Mario Party 9 is good, Mario Kart 7 too. For NSMB 2 I admit it is not that great, but still better than NSMB.
Also NSMB U and Pikmin 3 look great.

Nintendo would be better if they didn't focus so much on Mario and Pokemon... Poor Fire Emblem is so neglected. They are taking so long to release a lot of their games. Luigi's Mansion 2 delayed until 2013, still no release date for Animal Crossing 3DS (which was announced over two years ago), and they still haven't released Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The mainstream Mario games are going downhill too.

The eShop also needs some better and more well known VC games. Game Boy games are nice and all, but they could really use some other types of VC games too...

Hopefully they'll get out some new Zelda games too. I need a new Zelda game to be excited for. And yeah, I've never played Mother 3, but they should definitely release that over here.

On the good side, the Wii U looks great, Pikmin 3 will be great, and I'm glad to see some more hardcore games on the Wii U.

Ventus said:
It got DLC, more coins, racoon leaf and 1 more world than NSMBDS
Fuck DLC, Fuck coins, fuck the raccoon leaf (which doesn't exist by the way) and fuck those boring as shit extra worlds

Cirdec said:
I would say no, Mario Party 9 is good, Mario Kart 7 too. For NSMB 2 I admit it is not that great, but still better than NSMB.
Also NSMB U and Pikmin 3 look great.

I really only disagree with you on Mario Party 9. But yeah I enjoyed Mario Kart 7, plus I'm awaiting the next Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion. And I'm sure NSMBU and Pikmin 3 will be great launch titles for the Wii U.

Though some games for other franchises could really help.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Nintendo would be better if they didn't focus so much on Mario and Pokemon... You mean the things that make all the money?

Poor Fire Emblem is so neglected. Doesn't make enough of a profit to justify a lot of attention being applied to it
They are taking so long to release a lot of their games. Luigi's Mansion 2 delayed until 2013, still no release date for Animal Crossing 3DS (which was announced over two years ago), and they still haven't released Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The mainstream Mario games are going downhill too. agree with all of this

The eShop also needs some better and more well known VC games. Game Boy games are nice and all, but they could really use some other types of VC games too...agree

Hopefully they'll get out some new Zelda games too. I need a new Zelda game to be excited for. I'm not a hue zelda fan but yeah this would help
And yeah, I've never played Mother 3, but they should definitely release that over here. wont make enough money to justify the work it would take to port it

On the good side, the Wii U looks great, Pikmin 3 will be great, and I'm glad to see some more hardcore games on the Wii U. somewhat agree mostly because I think the term hardcore game is a bullshit term
Mariomario64 said:
People Running About said:
raccoon leaf (which doesn't exist by the way)
wat
There is no raccoon leaf there is a super leaf but no raccoon leaf

Yep, I haven't been enjoying their games as much as I used to. Granted, I don't play all franchises (never got into Pokemon, for example), but still.

Threekayzod said:
they can turn this slump around with a new f-zero

just sayin'

Dude, wooooorrrrrd. I've been waiting for a new one for ages now.

Boidoh said:
You complain about their games not being good quality then you complain they are taking too long to make them. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?
Who are you talking to, exactly?

Forgot to quote.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Nintendo would be better if they didn't focus so much on Mario and Pokemon... Poor Fire Emblem is so neglected. They are taking so long to release a lot of their games. Luigi's Mansion 2 delayed until 2013, still no release date for Animal Crossing 3DS (which was announced over two years ago), and they still haven't released Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

Developing games =/= not doing anything with the games

In case, F-Zero.

Nintendo haven't made a genuinely amazing game since MOTHER 3, so yes I do believe they've gone downhill.

I think they should shift their focus primarily to publishing instead of development, since the games directly developed by them are clearly based on a check list of what's guaranteed to sell to the nostalgic fanboys, not what's actually innovative and interesting.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Nintendo would be better if they didn't focus so much on Mario and Pokemon... Poor Fire Emblem is so neglected. They are taking so long to release a lot of their games. Luigi's Mansion 2 delayed until 2013, still no release date for Animal Crossing 3DS (which was announced over two years ago), and they still haven't released Paper Mario: Sticker Star. The mainstream Mario games are going downhill too.

The eShop also needs some better and more well known VC games. Game Boy games are nice and all, but they could really use some other types of VC games too...

Hopefully they'll get out some new Zelda games too. I need a new Zelda game to be excited for. And yeah, I've never played Mother 3, but they should definitely release that over here.

On the good side, the Wii U looks great, Pikmin 3 will be great, and I'm glad to see some more hardcore games on the Wii U.

Exactly! They release like one fire emblem game for each system but like 20 mario ones.

Anyway their games are still good. Even though the old ones are better for some series. But new games like Skyward Sword are amazing.

New Super Mario said:
Fawfulfury65 said:

Exactly! They release like one fire emblem game for each system but like 20 mario ones.
Because Fire Emblem totally makes as much revenue as a mario game does

Fawfulfury65 said:
...still no release date for Animal Crossing 3DS (which was announced over two years ago)...
Actually, they announced a release date for Animal Crossing, which is November 8 in Japan. Still no idea on the American one, but I guarantee its some time in 2013.

Eh, Mario is in a bit of a rut, and even than that's only the main games. Mario Kart is as good as ever on the 3DS. And I guess the rest of the spinoffs are just as shit as ever, though Paper Mario looks like it's going to be returning to it's former glory with Sticker Star. Don't know about the rest of Nintendo's stuff because I was never really into Zelda or Kirby or Pokemon or whatever else in the first place, but I do know the new Animal Crossing looks sick. Though I'll admit the last one was kinda shit.

Each series is in their own position for me.

Mario: This series is in a depression right now, and they're just digging themselves deeper. However, I do have high hopes for the next bunch of Mario games, and I believe those and maybe a new 3D platformer could put the series back on track.

Pokemon: Pokemon is a very awesome thing, but too much of something, even an awesome thing, can get stale and repetitive. What I recommend is a little hiatus so they can put some other games in the spotlight.

Zelda: I haven't played Skyward Sword, so I can't really tell yet.

Kirby: I still love this series very much. It's easily my current favorite Nintendo series. Epic Yarn and Return to Dream Land were both amazing, and I hope the next few are as good as (or better than) those.

Metroid: Should I get Adam's permission to talk about this one?

I feel, yes, Nintendo are going quite downhill; especially with Mario games.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was terrible. The game is based around a stupid gimmick, and shoes in the same "Peach has been kidnapped" storyline just so Mario has a reason to fight Bowser. The game is way too similar to its predecessors, which isn't a terrible thing, but, honestly, they should have changed more. The Super Leaf (and a few others) was only introduced to satisfy the nostalgic fans, and wasn't used much anyway.

Super Mario 3D Land was...eh...it wasn't great. It was fine, but not great. I think it focussed way too much on paying homage to Super Mario Bros. 3, and, to be honest, it didn't need that much more at the time. Mario Kart 7 was good, but Mario Kart Wii was definitely better. Mario Tennis Open was okay, but, again, Mario Power Tennis was much better.

As for Pokémon, I feel Pokémon's still doing great. Black and White 2 has changed the Unova region quite a bit, and there's going to be a lot more to do after the game, and lots of new areas and stuff. Some of the spinoffs, like Pokémon Rumble, are pretty fun too. Metroid's doing okay, in my opinion, but the next game will have to be better than Other M. Kirby's going very well. Return to Dream Land and Epic Yarn are very fun, the 25th Anniversary compilation is looking brilliant, and I hear Mass Attack's good too.

I don't care much about Zelda or Fire Emblem. On the Zelda front, I've heard Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are not as good as the older games, like Majora's Mask or Wind Waker - though those games were quite a high point for the series, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, along with the DS games, should've been better. As for Fire Emblem, I've never been interested in it. I'm completely terrible at F-Zero, but I think a new game would be good.

The new Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing and Pikmin (though I don't really like Rock Pikmin much) look pretty good. The new Paper Mario is looking okay too, but I think it's really taking the paper thing too far. We haven't seen much gameplay as New Super Mario Bros. U, but, so far, it's not looking half as sloppy as New Super Mario Bros. 2 is.

So, in conclusion, I feel Nintendo has recently been going downhill with their first party games, which isn't too much of a shock due to the high standards set by their older games, but that's no excuse for games being mediocre, which, recently, as much as I hate to say it, some seemingly are.

Nintendo's doing bad now, I can agree with that. The Wii has been in a drought for nearly almost 2 years (I really don't know 'bout Skyward Sword, but other than Last Story and Xenoblade, there's really nothing on there). 3DS had a terrible start and they even had to lower the price in less than 6 months. But this year they're kinda recovering but the games are not what they used to be. There are alot of new games coming such as Luigi's Mansion or Animal Crossing 3DS but there no proof that it'll be a game changer. Who knows? They could be good or they could be bad. I think that they're trying to recover and if they can pull it off next Friday then maybe they can recover from the drought they're in right now. Just wait and it'll be all good.

Nintendo in some areas for is starting to go in the wrong direction.

I have yet to play New Super Mario Bros. 2 but Super Mario 3D Land was good but the game could of been harder and that they themed the worlds out better. Mario Party 9 although I personally thought it was good and was starting to put the series back on track, has got dislike mainly because of the new system, it was not everyone's cup of tea. People either loved that game or hated that game. The galaxy games (mainly the second) has had a lot of hate here compered to other places (in which everyone seems to love those games) i've been. However the Mario Kart series is still running very strong and maybe the only part of the franchisee fans are that has not been going downhill.

Zelda is fine. Skyward Sword has amazing but some people have said that wasn't a very good game and blamed the motion plus controls for it. I think Zelda is still running storng.

Never played Kirby but I hear that series is going fine.

I have also not played Metroid but due to what i'm hearing about Other M and missing it's 25th, the series is fading away very quickly after the excellent Prime series.

Star Fox needs to be revived as everyone likes those games.

F-Zero is almost dead as it's been ages F-Zero GX and no one is giving not one hint of a New Zero game.

Pikmin is getting revived so I don't need to talk much about that.

I think nintendo is going downhill but I know they can get back on track, if they can prefect the Wii U, make it for everyone and do what needs to be done, they are revived but if they mess up the Wii U badly Nintendo might lose it's fans quickly.

Koopa Kid said:
The Wii has been in a drought for nearly almost 2 years (I really don't know 'bout Skyward Sword, but other than Last Story and Xenoblade, there's really nothing on there).
I'm glad someone actually acknowledged the existence of those last two games. Nintendo hardly even advertised them, especially The Last Story. It's a shame, because they're great games. Nintendo needs more RPGs like those.

Nintendo's a little shaky to me, but nothing too major aside from Mario.

Mario
Let's face it - NSMB2 was a pile of shit. It was a very linear game that I disliked altogether. The Star Coins are hidden in really weird camera areas, which is a pain, and they reused the music. God. And the reward for getting a million coins sucks.

As for others, I've mentioned in the past I dislike Galaxy 2 to an extent, mostly because it was basically a romhack of Galaxy + Yoshi. And Yoshi is used only six or some times, which is pretty strange for a character featured on the box art (and prominently, too).

However, as Uniju said, it looks like the PM series will be returned to its former glory with Sticker Star, and Bros. U looks promising to me.

Zelda
I don't play Zelda, so I don't have a comment on this one.

Pokemon
The Pokemon series has been at a steady pace ever since it was launched; other than the side games, there are no Pokemon games that I can even consider mediocre, including B2W2. Every Pokemon game intorduces a new land to explore (and, if it doesn't, it adds nice changes to an already existing land) and new Pokemon to see and obtain, keeping the series fresh. Although personally the anime is going downhill...

Kirby
There is no problem with Kirby. I really only have "it's too easy" against Squeak Squad, and other than that, Kirby games stay fresh all the time and even the old games are still very enjoyable (Adventure & 64, in particular).

NSY said:
Never played Kirby
burn him

Mario - I actually think its fine... Its just that NSMB2 wasnt as good as the rest. Also on a side note, alot of SMB3 fans loved that the tanooki suit was back in SM3DL but it couldnt fly, now it is back in NSMB2 BUT NO ONE GIVE TWO SHITS! Now that thats out of the way... NSMBU will be better as it just gives references to SMW, PM:SS looks cool, MK series is doing fine...

Zelda - I dont play zelda (I only have a japanese A link to the past GBA)

Kirby - I dont play...

Metroid - Dont play

Pokemon - BW2 was good. Was this series EVER going downhill. :P

Back