Super Paper Mario: Too much hate?

PokemonMaster

LETS START A NO AVATAR/SIG FAD.
I noticed a lot of people hate SPM. Sad, because it was a good game. Sure it had tons of flaws but it had tons of redeeming features.

The music is great, to bad nobody pays attention to it. And the villains are LIKEABLE.
For instance, Bowser in every game has nothing to explain his ambition. At least Count Bleck had a reason to destroy all worlds. (A rather sad reason.) Then here we have the plot. Amazing. I didn't expect the ending. And not to mention, the game has GOOD comedy. Sure there is no partners, but hey! They're major, but honestly most aren't the best characters I've seen. (Koops, KOPPER.)

Also the game is somewhat challenging. (And a jerk.)
The next few parts of my rant will have spoilers.)

Remember The Pit of 100 Trials? Hard already. (Unless you got Emergency Rationings) In this game they give you two. Jerks right? And The Flopside Pit of 100 Trials requires you to do it twice to actually gain anything besides Experience.
And guess what? They have an easiar/harder clone. Sammer Kingdom. Fight 100 Sammer Guys. (Who have the most comedic lines.)
And Bowser and Luigi are playable.

The flaws are that, some bosses are easy to beat. (Wracktail is easiar then Fracktail if you use Luigi and Peach.)
Curseyas. They're just pure annoying.
Some bosses are repetive and stuff.
The game starts slow.
The way of getting money is ridicously easy. (Amazy Dayzee card thing.)
Pixls are unintresting.
The game seems to have Gamecube quality. (Mario in TTYD and SPM look VERY simarlar.)
Not enough side quests. (Besides treasure.)
Wii Remote features are limited.

Anyways, I want you're opinion on SPM. Be fair though. Don't turn this into a flame war thread, 'K?

I like Super Paper Mario. I think it's a good game on it's own merits. It's just that it's own merits doesn't compare to the last two Paper Mario's level of quality.

It's not a bad game, but Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door are definitely overall better games.

Guys SPM is like a different game to the first two.

My thoughts on Super Paper Mario?

Disappointing. What people don't seem to understand is that when you make a sequel, you strive to make it better, not worse. Super Paper Mario felt like a smack to the face. It was a platformer, not an RPG. The partners barely made a sound. The worlds lacked depth - they seemed nothing more than a few buildings with a flat backstory - actually, not even. Most of these places didn't even have a backstory, with the deepest part being "Squirp's mother is dead." Sure, there was the Timpani and Blumiere thing, but it was so basic and obvious who they were that it didn't even feel that exciting. Twist ending? What twist ending? You mean that Tuc- I mean Dimentio was working to take down Bleck all along? That was a sad attempt to bring out a secondary character. And it was so easy. The bosses put up virtually no challenge (I admit I had trouble on the flower boss when I played it, though.)

And don't get me started on Chapter 2.

Nabber said:
My thoughts on Super Paper Mario?

Disappointing. What people don't seem to understand is that when you make a sequel, you strive to make it better, not worse. Super Paper Mario felt like a smack to the face. It was a platformer, not an RPG. The partners barely made a sound. The worlds lacked depth - they seemed nothing more than a few buildings with a flat backstory - actually, not even. Most of these places didn't even have a backstory, with the deepest part being "Squirp's mother is dead." Sure, there was the Timpani and Blumiere thing, but it was so basic and obvious who they were that it didn't even feel that exciting. Twist ending? What twist ending? You mean that Tuc- I mean Dimentio was working to take down Bleck all along? That was a sad attempt to bring out a secondary character. And it was so easy. The bosses put up virtually no challenge (I admit I had trouble on the flower boss when I played it, though.)

And don't get me started on Chapter 2.
The bosses where easy but I thought that this game had the best story the the entire series. I disagree with you totally here.

How in any way was the story good?

Also, TOO MANY CHARACTERS. Between four heroes and ten or so Pixls, plus Tippi... god.

Paper Mario and TTYD were much, much better games.

However I still think SPM is a good game as well.

Smasher said:
Paper Mario and TTYD were much, much better games.

However I still think SPM is a good game as well.
^This.

not really

I don't know about anyone else, but I like that game's storyline. It was definitely a pleasant change from the same boring, repetitive storyline that usually plagues that Mario platformers.

Well, Super Paper Mario is not so bad.

I used to hate it, but now I like it.

What I didn't like in SPM was:

No partners? FUUUUUUU (No offense to Tippi fans)

Ugly NPCs

River Twygz Bed and World of Nothing's theme -_-

Well, but I loved the story and having Bowser as a main character rather than a antagonist.

Solar Blaze said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I like that game's storyline. It was definitely a pleasant change from the same boring, repetitive storyline that usually plagues that Mario platformers.
So true.

Paper Mario was the usual "Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to rescue her" story. The only difference was the that for the first time, Bowser actually defeated Mario.

TTYD was a huge step up, but still essentially relied on Peach getting kidnapped and having to be rescued by Mario.

SPM only had Peach kidnapped at the beginning. After finishing Chapter 1, Peach is fully playable. Plus, Mario's not just saving the Mushroom Kingdom, or the world, he's trying to save every universe in existence. Besides, Luigi plays a huge role in this game as opposed to the prequels. Count Bleck is motivated by a broken heart rather than ambition. Whether or not his plan was dispproportionate retribution or not is debatable. Plus, his minions were nicely designed. The game does have flaws though, the pixls while not bad, should've just been permanent items rather than partners and it can be a real PITA trying to navigate certain chapters like The Overthere.

It was a good game. But I wish it was more Mario styled with no blocky looking NPCs. I rather have Goombas, Toads, Koopas, Cheep Cheeps, Strange bull creature dudes (the guys who ran the badge shop in PM), Mousers and Bumpties. Also lands should have been more Mario styled to me.

Magikrazy said:
Nabber said:
No one else thought the story was too cliche and easy to see coming?
Well how would you have it end?
In the room Tippi meets Bleck and Bleck is all "THERE IS NO STOPPING DARKNESS I'M SORRY MY LOVE" and then you kill him and then Dimentio comes and uses the power of the Chaos Heart (without Luigi) to transform into a legitimately creepy boss. You then defeat him and everyone's like "Yay we saved the world" and then you go have a pizza party and keep Tippi.

You know, I think all the hate towards Super Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion is the reason that Nintendo's been playing it safe and not trying anything new recently.

Magikrazy said:
You know, I think all the hate towards Super Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion is the reason that Nintendo's been playing it safe and not trying anything new recently.
Wait wait wait, both games where Nintendo trying something new.

NSY said:
Magikrazy said:
Wait wait wait, both games where Nintendo trying something new.
Yes, and both were hated, which is probably the reason that Nintendo has recently been playing it safe.

Nabber said:
Wait what the heck Luigi Mansion doesn't get any hate.

To Luigi Haters....

Or people who hate cowardice...

Or ghost haters.

They hate this game.

So? That's like saying Mario haters hate Mario games. Of course Luigi haters aren't going to like Luigi's Mansion.

Back