Do you play instruments?

I think it will be fun if we make a orchestra or band team.
Only for forum users!

At such a distance?
I don't think it'll end up very well.

Well, all we would have to do is have sheet music to the same song(s), and we individually record it. Then we line up the parts and we use Audacity or another program to merge them all together into one complete song. The only trouble is that we would have to make sure that we are at a precise tempo every beat, and pray that we are in tune.

Well, if we tuned on the same online tuner, then that shouldn't be the problem. We would really just need to make sure that timing is spot-on from start to finish.

I'm awful with most instruments, though I don't think I'd be bad with drums. I'm a good singer, though.

I've always wanted to learn the violin, but my school only has a concert band and marching band :l no orchestra.

I am on my fifth year of trombone, and on my first year of baritone. I can play my baritone just as well as my trombone, since they are such similar instruments. I am playing both instruments for my school's marching band.

I have an electric piano that I play sometimes, too, but I don't take lessons. I just try to learn small songs from video games on it.

schmutz said:
I've always wanted to learn the violin, but my school only has a concert band and marching band :l no orchestra.

Our school has a Concert Band, Symphony Band, Concert Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Marching Band, and Winter Percussion.

But yeah, playing flute since beginning 5th grade (going to 12th soon), but all the other instruments I've only known for a year or two.

BMB said:
schmutz said:

Our school has a Concert Band, Symphony Band, Concert Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra, Marching Band, and Winter Percussion.

so much jelly. My school district is pretty poor so... honestly I think we're lucky we even have a marching band (even though somehow the tartan fabric of our uniforms was able to be imported from Scotland :???:). We're not a very big band, only AA by PIMBA standards.

schmutz said:
BMB said:
schmutz said:

so much jelly. My school district is pretty poor so... honestly I think we're lucky we even have a marching band (even though somehow the tartan fabric of our uniforms was able to be imported from Scotland :???:). We're not a very big band, only AA by PIMBA standards.

Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much jelly!
My school is even worse
Only have marching band and choir

I play trombone. We have a really small low brass group! 3 Trombones, 2 Baritones and a Tuba. I have been playing since 4th grade, you lose a lot of people throughout the years. We had like 18 low brass when our band started.

I'm so excited to see what freshmen join Concert Band this year

and then i will walk up to them
bend down to their young innocent ear
and ask
WHY WERENT YOU IN MARCHING BAND FIRST

I plan to be epic.

I'm going to learn how to play every instrument, and then how to speak in every language. Including sign language. And BRAAAAAAAAIIIILLL!!

schmutz said:
and ask
In my local high school, marching band is a required part of band class.

I'm not going to that high school though, but I'm still in its marching band.

Mariomario64 said:
schmutz said:
and ask
In my local high school, marching band is a required part of band class.

I'm not going to that high school though, but I'm still in its marching band.

Marching band isn't part of a class at all at my school. Everyone in band knows it's a sport, but to the administration, it's a sport only when it's convenient to them and inconvenient to us. Otherwise it's a plain old activity.

Mariomario64 said:
Marching band a sport?

what
Ikr. I think some people consider Marching Band a sport because it involves walking and outdoors.

Queen Boo said:
Mariomario64 said:
Marching band a sport?

what
Ikr. I think some people consider Marching Band a sport because it involves walking and outdoors.

I think I might slap you.

Walking? It's not called walking band. It's called marching band. We don't walk. If we walked our pitch would bounce all over the place anytime we weren't at a hold. We MARCH. It takes a lot more concentration than you think. Any time the band is at a move we must use a rollstep in order to keep our upper bodies still, maintaining the pitch. Except wait, it's not walking in a straight line. In our drill, we set forms that require the band to march forward, backward, left, right, crabstep, everything. You try "walking" backward on the balls of your feet in a glidestep at 60 bpm completely uniform with everyone else while trying to keep a whole note on a huge ass sousaphone steady. Most of you probably wouldn't even have the breath support for tuba or flute sitting down. Oh, did I forget the band part? Yeah, we also play as we march, seven minutes of memorized and very difficult music. Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that we also do ALL OF THIS in heavy wool uniforms and shakos. Still not convinced it's a sport?

[quote author=dictionary.com]sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature[/quote]

Skill: check. Physical prowess: check. Competition: check.

Oh, did you think we just played at halftime and then sat and twiddled our thumbs? NOPE. We actually compete. Every other Saturday, my band hauls itself to a field where dozens of bands from southwestern Pennsylvania compete in different size classes. My school's band easily has 10 times more trophies than our football team. It's not just schools, either. Ever heard of DCI? Probably not. Drum Corps International is "professional marching band," so to speak. In fact, world finals were just last week in Indianapolis. Still not convinced? Sports Illustrated thinks it's a sport. Studies were done on Drum Corps members and found that during performances, their metabolic rates matched those of marathon runners mid-race, while their heart rate compared with someone running anywhere from a 400-800 m dash.

In conclusion, why don't you attend band camp one sweltering August and see how much we "walk."

Also: have a look.

This is Broken Arrow. They usually clean up at Bands of America. This is a high school band.

inb4tl;dr

Okay, now there's a rant that actually makes sense.
I guess I was wrong. Yeah, I already do all of that stuff, but I haven't thought about it that way before.

MCS said:
and carrying that heavy-ass snare drum
well I'd imagine that it's not too much of a problem since they have those big harnesses, which probably makes it less heavy then if you were to actually carry it

wait why would people thinking music and marching bands aren't sport? If people can sit on their asses playing video games for several hours at a time and call it sport, then I don't see why music wouldn't get the same treatment.

schmutz said:
Queen Boo said:
Mariomario64 said:
Marching band a sport?

what

I think I might slap you.

Walking? It's not called walking band. It's called marching band. We don't walk. If we walked our pitch would bounce all over the place anytime we weren't at a hold. We MARCH. It takes a lot more concentration than you think. Any time the band is at a move we must use a rollstep in order to keep our upper bodies still, maintaining the pitch. Except wait, it's not walking in a straight line. In our drill, we set forms that require the band to march forward, backward, left, right, crabstep, everything. You try "walking" backward on the balls of your feet in a glidestep at 60 bpm completely uniform with everyone else while trying to keep a whole note on a huge ass sousaphone steady. Most of you probably wouldn't even have the breath support for tuba or flute sitting down. Oh, did I forget the band part? Yeah, we also play as we march, seven minutes of memorized and very difficult music. Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that we also do ALL OF THIS in heavy wool uniforms and shakos. Still not convinced it's a sport?

[quote author=dictionary.com]sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature
Skill: check. Physical prowess: check. Competition: check.

Oh, did you think we just played at halftime and then sat and twiddled our thumbs? NOPE. We actually compete. Every other Saturday, my band hauls itself to a field where dozens of bands from southwestern Pennsylvania compete in different size classes. My school's band easily has 10 times more trophies than our football team. It's not just schools, either. Ever heard of DCI? Probably not. Drum Corps International is "professional marching band," so to speak. In fact, world finals were just last week in Indianapolis. Still not convinced? Sports Illustrated thinks it's a sport. Studies were done on Drum Corps members and found that during performances, their metabolic rates matched those of marathon runners mid-race, while their heart rate compared with someone running anywhere from a 400-800 m dash.

In conclusion, why don't you attend band camp one sweltering August and see how much we "walk."

Also: have a look.

This is Broken Arrow. They usually clean up at Bands of America. This is a high school band.

inb4tl;dr
[/quote]
Shit!
That's what I meant!!!

Mariomario64 said:
MCS said:
and carrying that heavy-ass snare drum
well I'd imagine that it's not too much of a problem since they have those big harnesses, which probably makes it less heavy then if you were to actually carry it

I think it's actually the tenors that are the worst on the back. Our tenor player says its a lot worse than snare or bass.

Back