How do you think they should shake up the level themes?

BMB said:
Marshal Dan Troop said:
BMB said:
My world wish:

Space/Gravity
Space Zone

It has only been used once in a game not very well known as the others. Besides, I can still use it because it isn't the same old grass, lava, ice, etc. stuff.
The space area in Super Paper Mario...
Also Super Mario Land 2 sold 11 million copies but your right 11 million that's pretty damn obscure when you compare it to Super Mario Galaxies 10.68 million
Also Macro Zone

Marshal Dan Troop said:
Or they have identical cities in the mushroom world and some of the cities such as Mushroom City are located in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Despite that they can directly use Diamond City (unless the staff want to find another exotic city), the question is whether there is really such a place under the rule of Peach, since in the Earth usually capital should be the most bustling place.

And it's still that how to do with the citizens if NSMB take places their, or it can only be an RPG or 3D game.

I would like to see a food/candy world. It would be like Sweet Mystery Galaxy from SMG2 and Sweet Sweet Galaxy from SMG

Futuristic Base world, lasers, other nice things

Maybe an autumn world like it is a forest but takes place in the atumn season. It has big polices of leaves. Has that snow effect but instead leaves are falling. Maybe it can take place around Halloween with some pumpkins and takes place at night.

The level themes are the least of my problems. I'm more disturbed with the fact that the forts and castles have been way too short lately; almost every one of them are one area only levels. Heck, nearly every fort is completely vertical now.

MnSG said:
The level themes are the least of my problems. I'm more disturbed with the fact that the forts and castles have been way too short lately; almost every one of them are one area only levels. Heck, nearly every fort is completely vertical now.

They should have a super tough boss fight to compromise for it, but we get easy as hell Koopalings instead.

While I wouldn't mind less bread and butter level themes, I think that the NSMB series art direction is really at fault here. It's not just that it constantly uses the same Ice/Desert/Grass/Lava themes, it's that the Ice/Desert/Grass/Lava worlds in all of the games look exactly the same.

Like, nearly of the 2D platformers use the grassland archetype, but because each games have their own art style and stylistic quirks, it doesn't feel too tired.

SMAS_1-2.PNG

Donut_Plains_1.PNG

1-1.png

Now compare with the NSMB series' desert levels

NSMB_2-1.png

2-5nsmbw.PNG

NSMB2_PokeyPound.jpg

yeah

Like I stated previously, a space/futuristic world (that one level with stars in NSMBU is a good start, I guess) and a factory world. Those are my two favorite world themes; Kirby's Epic Yarn and Return to Dream Land, respectfully, did a great job on both.

Fassad said:
Like I stated previously, a space/futuristic world (that one level with stars in NSMBU is a good start, I guess) and a factory world. Those are my two favorite world themes; Kirby's Epic Yarn and Return to Dream Land, respectfully, did a great job on both.

This. Kirby's Epic Yarn did a fantastic job with Future World (or whatever it was called). I absolutely loved Tube Town.

The perfect theme at least in my opinion:

World 1 - Grassland
World 2 - Desert
World 3 - Haunted
World 4 - Jungle, but more unique things (i.e. purple goo level where you use logs as platforms)
World 5 - Giant (This was great in SMB3)
World 6 - Ice
World 7 - Clouds
World 8 - Bowser-themed city
World 9 - Lava
Secret world - Space

Yes, I personally think a short World 9 should be in the main story.

Baby Luigi said:
MnSG said:

They should have a super tough boss fight to compromise for it, but we get easy as hell Koopalings instead.

The Koopalings could have been hard, or at least at the level of Ludwig in Super Mario Bros. 3. The Bowser fights are a bigger problem; not only do they keep using the bridge/switch fight from SMB (why? It's boring), but when there's something after that, it's just a chase scene. Mario hasn't actually fought Bowser in a 2D platformer since Super Mario World.

Glowsquid said:
While I wouldn't mind less bread and butter level themes, I think that the NSMB series art direction is really at fault here. It's not just that it constantly uses the same Ice/Desert/Grass/Lava themes, it's that the Ice/Desert/Grass/Lava worlds in all of the games look exactly the same.

Like, nearly of the 2D platformers use the grassland archetype, but because each games have their own art style and stylistic quirks, it doesn't feel too tired.

SMAS_1-2.PNG

Donut_Plains_1.PNG

1-1.png

Now compare with the NSMB series' desert levels

NSMB_2-1.png

2-5nsmbw.PNG

NSMB2_PokeyPound.jpg

yeah
So, for their next game, they should try different artwork?

Definitely. I would like to see sprites being used again to represent characters.
Gummy said:
Baby Luigi said:
MnSG said:

The Koopalings could have been hard, or at least at the level of Ludwig in Super Mario Bros. 3. The Bowser fights are a bigger problem; not only do they keep using the bridge/switch fight from SMB (why? It's boring), but when there's something after that, it's just a chase scene. Mario hasn't actually fought Bowser in a 2D platformer since Super Mario World.

I found the Bowser boss fights of Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. Wii pretty underwhelming if you ask me. Especially Super Mario 3D Land's. When I found out that you can't beat him up using something and there's a stupid switch again, I was especially bummed.

Back