Gaming Cliches

Burly, powerful guy that acts like a jerk to the main protagonist but eventually comes around. White mage girl that winds up in love with the main protagonist. Weak kid that bemoans their usefulness but becomes powerful enough later in the game. Powerful girl that sticks up for herself and fights well alongside the main protagonist, possibly becoming the love interest of someone at a later date.

Basically, the cast of Chaos Rings II is an overused cliche.

I'd say "Hijacked by Ganon", which means you spend the entire game knowing who the villain is, have one fight and then they get pushed aside by the final boss/true villain.

Some examples:
Sonic Heroes: Everyone's going after Eggman for different reasons, only to find out that Metal Sonic was the one behind the world domination plan.

Yoshi's Island DS: Kamek is kidnapping babies all over the island. You think he and possibly Baby Bowser are behind this, until it turns out it was present day Bowser.

There's also the misunderstanding cliche. The players and the main character think the villain is once again causing trouble, but it turns out that they weren't really doing anything wrong, or worse, they were the ones keeping the real villains locked up. Most common example would be King Dedede, where he's bathing in the Fountain of Dreams, and Kirby thinks that's the reason why no one is having dreams anymore when in fact, Dedede was keeping Nightmare sealed away. Kind of overlaps with "Nice Job Breaking it, Hero".

Last one I can think of at the moment is when a new villain who has no alligance to the main villain ends up dead, arrested, or for some other reason, gone and never to be heard from again after they've been defeated.

Lava itself is a gaming cliche

Count Mario said:
I think she means by how much it is used as a deadly hazard in games for about as long as gaming history itself.

True, that is true

Invisible walls are really cliche, but then again you'd probably be falling forever eventually. They should at least make the walls visible in some way, anywhere from a building or those transparent walls in realistic racing games.

SKmarioman said:
Invisible walls are really cliche, but then again you'd probably be falling forever eventually. They should at least make the walls visible in some way, anywhere from a building or those transparent walls in realistic racing games.

Invisible walls are necessary in most video games. They create collision so that you don't go through the stage and start falling forever into a black abyss. For some scenes, visible walls can make it feel unnatural.

^In most sandboxes, the "walls" or border of the map tend to be large expanses of water, mountains, rows of buildings, and other things like that. Some cases feel more natural than others, and the ongoing "can't go in water" cliche of many sandboxes kind of breaks immersion for me (mind, inFamous had a justification for it).

...all of this banter on clichés and he didn't even mention the 'Three Hit Rule'. You know, the rule that says that, 'All bosses shall die after having received three hits — no more, no less'. Also I feel like he's too 'blinded' by realism of games recently. I mean, complaining about people going to space without a helmet when it happens in a video-game? What the fuck? Doesn't that just kill the original reason why you're playing video-games: to see something you would never see in real life?

And I am baffled he didn't mention the 'But Thou Must'-cliché at all. Because not only doesn't cut what a player can do, it also makes the player feel stupid for even wanting to waste time he/she didn't want to waste. Oh and also, he didn't say anything about LEVEL GRINDING? What? Isn't that the worst thing ever? Oh and also, the tenth one is a bit stupid if I have to say so myself. I have nothing against it.

Oh and also, if you go by his logic, then you can say that 'easy games' is a cliché. Because it's something overused and bad.

Sometimes there is an unbeatable enemy that reappears later in the game for you to finally beat.

Pi said:
...all of this banter on clichés and he didn't even mention the 'Three Hit Rule'. You know, the rule that says that, 'All bosses shall die after having received three hits — no more, no less'.

I think that really only applies to Mario games, and even then, that's only the mainstream games starting with SMB3.

I think the real cliche would be the number three in general.

*Every Pokemon game lets you choose from 3 starter Pokemon, and excluding Generation V, there's 3 games for each region, not counting the remakes.

*Kirby 64, Squeak Squad, Epic Yarn has at least/up to 3 collectibles for each level.

* How many Shine Sprites does it take to power up your partners in TTYD? 3.

* Sonic Heroes has 3 characters per team.

Pi said:
Also I feel like he's too 'blinded' by realism of games recently. I mean, complaining about people going to space without a helmet when it happens in a video-game? What the *bleep*? Doesn't that just kill the original reason why you're playing video-games: to see something you would never see in real life?

amen

There's also the grass/desert/water/ice level for most games. It all started with SMB3, then Kirby 64, then Mario reused the concept albeit in a slightly different order, then Paper Mario if you count Chapter 5 as a water level. Even Pokemon has started using that. Each Pokemon game has water and grass routes, then Hoenn introdued a desert followed by Unova and even though every region has ice making some sort of appearance, Sinnoh sticks out because of Snowpoint City and Unova added the seasons.

Pi said:
LEVEL GRINDING? What? Isn't that the worst thing ever?
Level grinding isn't even mainstream most of the time. People just do it because they want to or they feel they need to. If you mean bosses that require grinding, that would've made sense, but grinding itself, no, no, no. The ability to grind has existed way back then, and it probably wasn't even intended. If you hate grinding, don't do it, nobody's forcing you to. It's boring but in the end it can reward you pretty well.

Yoshidude99 said:
Protagonists being tricked into doing exactly what the Antagonists want.

Like Luigi's Mansion, Sonic Adventure 2, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, yeah that surely is a video game cliche.

This might be stretching it, but, Breaking the Fourth Wall. Its gotten so bad that I don't find them funny anymore.

Also, tutorials, which aren't so bad except they've recently become required. The first video game series that I know of that did this was Megaman Battle Network, then Super Mario Sunshine had one for using FLUDD and the first level of Kirby's Return to Dreamland was basically one big tutorial. The game designers should do something like "Is this your first time playing this game?" or "Would you like to know this game's basics?"

Baby Luigi said:
So World 8 in every Mario game is a cliche???

Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Baby Luigi said:
So World 8 in every Mario game is a cliche???

Nope, only the lava part of it

Don Pianta said:
This might be stretching it, but, Breaking the Fourth Wall. Its gotten so bad that I don't find them funny anymore.

Also, tutorials, which aren't so bad except they've recently become required. The first video game series that I know of that did this was Megaman Battle Network, then Super Mario Sunshine had one for using FLUDD and the first level of Kirby's Return to Dreamland was basically one big tutorial. The game designers should do something like "Is this your first time playing this game?" or "Would you like to know this game's basics?"
Uprising took the fourth wall, teared it down, blended its pieces, and drank it for breakfast. And this goes on for the entire game for at least once every five-ten seconds (No, I am not exaggerating).

Back