Do you believe in Evolution or Creation?

Discuss.

• Atheist Evolution

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Creation

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Theistic Evolution

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Chihiro Fujisaki said:
I'm open to the idea that the Big Bang or whatever created the universe including the deities and Buddha, and they just maintained it. But who knows? I can't say what happened that long ago, but that's not important to me.

although I suppose this theory isn't as appealing to adherents of Abrahamic faiths

I've never heard that before. That's an interesting idea.

Dinosaurs up until very recently (like a century and a half) were known as dragons, and when people encountered them that's what they were called. There are creatures described in the Bible that sound very much like what we now call dinosaurs. Am I positive that a man ever saw a dinosaur? I'm not sure of anything, but if you believe the Bible then yes. Dragons are fequently mentioned in the Bible.

Where did God come from is the wrong question, as Christians believe he is eternal. He was uncreated and has always been and will always just be according to Christians. It is impossible for mortal minds to wrap their heads around it, but the interesting belief of the Christians is that since nothing could have happened without a first cause, and no matter HOW FAR you go back, back to the singularity, what caused that? Not matter how far you go back, THAT TOO would have had to have been caused by something else, so only an ETERNAL BEING being responsible for all creation is the only thing that makes sense.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Dinosaurs up until very recently (like a century and a half) were known as dragons, and when people encountered them that's what they were called. There are creatures described in the Bible that sound very much like what we now call dinosaurs. Am I positive that a man ever saw a dinosaur? I'm not sure of anything, but if you believe the Bible then yes. Dragons are fequently mentioned in the Bible.

Where did God come from is the wrong question, as Christians believe he is eternal. He was uncreated and has always been and will always just be according to Christians. It is impossible for mortal minds to wrap their heads around it, but the interesting belief of the Christians is that since nothing could have happened without a first cause, and no matter HOW FAR you go back, back to the singularity, what caused that? Not matter how far you go back, THAT TOO would have had to have been caused by something else, so only an ETERNAL BEING being responsible for all creation is the only thing that makes sense.
You are true about ancient people calling dinosaurs magical creatures call dragons (ex: a bone could of shattered on top of the spine of a fossil to make it appear like wing bones), but that's as far of you being correct. Tell me, where exactly in the bible does a dinosaur appear? Yes, I'm aware that dragons do make an appearance in the Holy Bible (like in Revelations), but they appear in VISIONS, not in reality, and are SYMBOLIC.

Singularities are actually smaller than protons

just thought I'd put that out there

They have zero size.

Also, not stating my opinion on this, but just to put it out there: some of you are arguing about what created said singularity and if that was the beginning of everything; if you subscribe to M-theory there are some possible answers there.

Xia Wang said:
The bible NEVER mentions anything about dinosaurs! Tell me, what verse says so that dinosaurs existed with humans? I should know, I have read the holy bible front to back and the word dinosaur never appeared.
The bible NEVER mentions anything about toucans! Tell me, what verse says so that toucans existed with humans? I should know, I have read the holy bible front to back and the word toucan never appeared.

Yes, lol

My point is that just because something wasn't mentioned in the bible doesn't mean [whatever point they were trying to make with the dinosaur thing.] I probably endlessly list things that weren't mentioned in the bible.

Yeah I agree with that statement it would be stupid if the bible mentioned everything I mean think about all of the frogs in the world

Mason said:
Xia Wang said:
The bible NEVER mentions anything about dinosaurs! Tell me, what verse says so that dinosaurs existed with humans? I should know, I have read the holy bible front to back and the word dinosaur never appeared.
The bible NEVER mentions anything about toucans! Tell me, what verse says so that toucans existed with humans? I should know, I have read the holy bible front to back and the word toucan never appeared.
My bible clearly shows a toucan along with other birds.

Minuette said:
Mason said:
Xia Wang said:
My bible clearly shows a toucan along with other birds.
It is mentioned in Genesis: God created all the birds and animals of the air and ground, including toucans. But about dinosaurs, the description of one doesn't appear in the Holy Bible at all. Obviously the word itself wouldn't appear since dinosaur is two greek words smash together way after those times. What I'm trying to say is nothing remotely referring to a dinosaur is muttered in the Holy Bible at all. And Mason, I was serious, please don't mock me again unless that was a joke which I can take.

Xia Wang said:
It is mentioned in Genesis: God created all the birds and animals of the air and ground, including toucans. But about dinosaurs, the description of one doesn't appear in the Holy Bible at all. Obviously the word itself wouldn't appear since dinosaur is two greek words smash together way after those times. What I'm trying to say is nothing remotely referring to a dinosaur is muttered in the Holy Bible at all. And Mason, I was serious, please don't mock me again unless that was a joke which I can take.
I was serious too. And okay, if you want to play that card (the Bible does NOT specifically mention toucans):

"And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. "

Every. Living. Creature. That freaking. Moveth. If you're going to say "every winged fowl" includes toucans, then "every living creature that moveth" should cover dinosaurs. And no, I'm not going to treat you special. I don't "mock" anyone, I form posts in humorous ways when I'm trying to make a point.

Sorry if this post came off as harsh. I don't appreciate being accused of negative things when I'm trying to be friendly.

So anything that doesn't move is a creation of someone/thing else, like sea sponges, for example?

Byakuya Togami said:
So anything that doesn't move is a creation of someone/thing else, like sea sponges, for example?
Sea Sponge do move, not exactly to get to point A to point B, but the movement of their internal organs can be considered movement.

Anyway Mason, I'll remember that next time on that's the way you act to be friendly, no harm done.

Alright back to the topic, God made every creature that moves, including dinosaurs on a certain day, but humans are created on the sixth day. Now there's a time-length between the two. I know it's only a couple days according to what it says, but I believe these "days" may actually be millions and millions of years, who knows, maybe a couple million years seem like a day to an all-powerful, fully omnipotent, omnipresent, eternal god. Plus, science clearly explain that humans and even the latest dinosaurs never lived during the same period of time.

Alright may I clarify to avoid confusion, I didn't really mean when does the actual word "dinosaur" appear in the bible, what I meant to say is when does a dinosaur appear along side a human in the bible? And I'm still waiting for Perry the Platypus' response to in which verse does a dinosaur appear in the sense that I just made.

It took me a while and a lot of reading to find a belief systematic with mine. My closest belief system is Objectivism, Ayn Rand's perspective.

"Metaphysics: Objective Reality ("Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed.")
Epistemology: Reason ("You can't eat your cake and have it, too.")
Human Nature: "Man is a rational being. Reason, as man's only means of knowledge, is his basic means of survival. But the exercise of reason depends on each individual's choice. "Man is a being of volitional consciousness." "That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom. This is the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and character."Thus Objectivism rejects any form of determinism, the belief that man is a victim of forces beyond his control (such as God, fate, upbringing, genes, or economic conditions)."
Ethics: Self-interest ("Man is an end in himself.")
Politics: Laissez Faire "

Really? I would never have guessed. That's interesting.

Quickie-la said:
It took me a while and a lot of reading to find a belief systematic with mine. My closest belief system is Objectivism, Ayn Rand's perspective.
I hope you're joking. Objectivism amounts to "fuck everyone else, they're useless; you are the only one that matters", this is not an ideal philosophy to adhere to.

Mason said:

Agent Smith said:
Neither did the word toucan unless I'm mistaken. Yet toucans probably did exist in the time of man.

GWARHARHAR I KNEW YOU'D SAY THAT SO I SAID IT FIRST. Although I really didn't accomplish anything it just proves I can predict the future.

oh my god i'm clairvoyant

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Quickie-la said:
I hope you're joking. Objectivism amounts to "fuck everyone else, they're useless; you are the only one that matters", this is not an ideal philosophy to adhere to.

What have you read on it? If you took from my summary wrong, I apologize in advance?
edit; It doesn't add to that at all. It emphasizes on the basis free-will and individual rights. Individual, not as in just the believers, but adhering to everyone's. Sorry for being neutral and having acceptance of human choices for what they are, I guess.

Many of the ideals of Objectivism are fine right up until every statement about free will comes with the add-on "Your own happiness is all that matters, regardless of anyone elses feelings". Which I don't agree with.

that's my interpretation of it, anyway

Back