Do you believe in Evolution or Creation?

Discuss.

• Atheist Evolution

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Creation

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Theistic Evolution

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters
Is there a scientific difference between microevolution and macroevolution? I'd like to believe in microevolution but I've heard countless claims that you'd have to believe n either both or neither.

I like both, but I put creation.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Aren't evangelicals Young Earth Creationists?
Order of events VS length of events is debatable. (Or some Christians believe it to be debatable.) Some say that the "first 7 days" (or 6 days, whatever) were actually periods of time, not days. Some people say that when it says "forty" in the bible it's supposed to mean "many." (Although looking through the Hebrew words in e-Sword tells me that it really WAS supposed to mean "forty.")

Well, I put 'Atheism Evolution'. Not that there ever was such a thing called that, but whatever.

And I am so tempted to fill this post with videos from an excellent YouTube user named thunderf00t, a user who has made a whole video-series that currently has 37 parts called Why do people laugh at creationists? in which he points out the debatable claims that creationists make (and also assessing them from a purely scientific viewpoint), including the following:
  • The world being beneath a canopy of water;
  • The Grand Canyon being shaped in five minutes;
  • God existing;
  • Evolution happen by 'mere chance' and that there is a 'probability' of everything happening.
Anyway, since I apparently really want you to watch this, here's part one of Why do people laugh at creationists?:

EDIT: Now, I am not going to judge people based off their religion, because that's stupid. I will only judge people based off their actions, what they have said to me and what they say about my friends.

If you can't get past the idea of someone who has PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER...

I5LD9.png

...then I don't see the point in arguing any further. Is the guy humoring the idea that a god exists for the sake of arguing what the god can and cannot do? Would a god with limitless power, who lives outside space and time, be limited by space and time? I would think a true atheist would be more likely to facepalm and the idea of a god in the first place.

Creationists who really take the time to try to make scientific sense out of the bible on Youtube probably DO deserve to be laughed at, but then the same people claiming to be laughing will turn around and spend countless hours to make a 37 part video series about it? [Insert line about having cake and eating cake.]

Am I misunderstanding something here? I say the above as a member, not a moderator. (Because as a moderator, I don't think this thread should have existed in the first place.)

I'll be watching this thread. I won't tolerate any personal attacks against either side of this cute little debate. There's a difference between disagreeing with someone and calling them an idiot. Don't cross that line.

My thought on it is that there isn't even "believing" in evolution--it's a real thing proved by science, just like gravity and all those other goodies. There is absolutely none of that "well my bible says it's not real, so I can ignore it." It's there. You can see it, science can explain it. In addition, the definition of evolution evolves itself, as more evidence flows in and changes thoughts. This does not render it wrong.

That being said, evolution being a real thing that exists does not mean that a God must not exist by definition. Both can co-exist.

A scientist dude I recommend listening to about these sorts of things is Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's marvelous~

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Does evolution HAVE to mean that men descended from apes?

That line leads me to believe you have a lack of knowledge on evolution because according to the most widely accepted theory, humans didn't descend from apes, they share a common ancestor.

I personally believe God (or some other super-powered being, whether it's the god for some other religion or The Great Milenko or whatever) had to start the universe. Existence can't have just happened out of nowhere. There is lots of evidence that evolution has certainly occurred, so I am of the belief that everything after the creation of the universe* happened through evolution.

*I dunno if the universe was created in a week, a month, a year, whatever. That's not really the focus of this post.

Hypnotoad said:
My thought on it is that there isn't even "believing" in evolution--it's a real thing proved by science, just like gravity and all those other goodies. There is absolutely none of that "well my bible says it's not real, so I can ignore it." It's there. You can see it, science can explain it. In addition, the definition of evolution evolves itself, as more evidence flows in and changes thoughts. This does not render it wrong.

That being said, evolution being a real thing that exists does not mean that a God must not exist by definition. Both can co-exist.

A scientist dude I recommend listening to about these sorts of things is Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's marvelous~
Well said, my friend, well said.

well, I haven't seen any completely certain proof for evolution so I'm reluctant to go with that

it still has a bunch of holes that need plugging.

also this thread was totally flamebait and I'm glad it didn't end up that way.

Evolution sounds more convincing to me because it has been proven.

I can't believe there are still people who deny evolution, just as people who deny the Earth being round or a heliocentric solar system

Jack Noir said:
well, I haven't seen any completely certain proof for evolution so I'm reluctant to go with that

it still has a bunch of holes that need plugging.

Such as?

not getting into that, oh no

Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
Don't worry. Within a few days, the real dumbasses will come out of the woodwork and we'll have a lovely old flame war on our hands.
[me=Jack_Noir]looks for some popcorn[/me]

Jack Noir said:
not getting into that, oh no

Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
Don't worry. Within a few days, the real dumbasses will come out of the woodwork and we'll have a lovely old flame war on our hands.
[me=Jack_Noir]looks for some popcorn[/me]
> Says there are holes in Evolution
>Refuses to explain what those holes are when asked...

Pi said:
Well, I put 'Atheism Evolution'. Not that there ever was such a thing called that, but whatever.

And I am so tempted to fill this post with videos from an excellent YouTube user named thunderf00t, a user who has made a whole video-series that currently has 37 parts called Why do people laugh at creationists? in which he points out the hilarious claims that creationists make, including the following:
  • The world being beneath a canopy of water;
  • The Grand Canyon being shaped in five minutes;
  • God existing;
  • Evolution happen by 'mere chance' and that there is a 'probability' of everything happening.
Anyway, since I apparently really want you to watch this, here's part one of Why do people laugh at creationists?:
You know, I didn't take you for the irrationally intolerant kind of atheist. Do you hate me because I'm Buddhist? Judging from this post, it's likely that you do.

I believe in evolution, and I want to point something out:

Humans didn't evolve from apes, humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor.

^ no. thats the same as saying lions and felines evolved from a common ancestor.

Back