Namco Bandai is co-developing SSB4.

Smugleaf said:
Sakurai posted this page from Nintendo Dream (a Japanese magazine) on his twitter page. It's a character popularity poll, and Sakurai was surprised by the results.

*list with no mega man what the fuck is wrong with people*
19. ?
20. Fox
That would be the protagonist from the upcoming Fire Emblem: Awakening. I believe his name is Krom.

click me

Hello, everyone. I'm Masaya Kobayashi of NAMCO BANDAI Studios. I'm so honored to be able to join the Smash Bros. team--that globally popular series of which Japan is particularly proud—and to work alongside of Mr. Sakurai.

In order to make Mr. Sakurai proud, we will take on this project with NAMCO BANDAI's best staff! Yoshito Higuchi, the producer and the director of the "Tales" series, Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of "Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.," the art director/sound director of the "SoulCalibur" series, the main development team staff from the "TEKKEN" series…and that's just for starters. All the top creators from NAMCO BANDAI are gathered here to create a never-before-seen dream team for this project. We will fully utilize our experience and knowledge in action/fighting game development, technical capability, and organizational strength, and we hereby promise you that we will develop the best and most powerful "Super Smash Bros." title ever! Don't miss it!
hnnnnnnnnnnng

You do realize that even though Namco Bandai was involved in developing Mario Super Sluggers, none of that company's characters were implemented. In other words, just because it's been revealed that Namco Bandai is working on Smash 4 does not really prove that there will be 3rd party characters again.

MnSG said:
You do realize that even though Namco Bandai was involved in developing Mario Super Sluggers, none of that company's characters were implemented. In other words, just because it's been revealed that Namco Bandai is working on Smash 4 does not really prove that there will be 3rd party characters again.
Well, yeah, but that's because it was a Mario game. This is more of a video game character thing, so it's easier for them to put Pac Man in or something.

Besides, I would love Pac Man in the game. Final Smash: Turn everyone into ghosts and eat them!

That didn't stop Namco Bandai from implementing their characters into the Mario Kart Arcade titles though. But since these are arcade games and not console games, this is a moot point.

Maybe Digimon characters are more likely now (since Bandai did develop them). Finally, a chance for Pokemon vs Digimon. :P

Either way, I'm interested in how this will turn out. In spite of that, I am quite curious as to how Bandai got into the development party for SSB4.

smash_bros_message.jpg

Okay then...

Smugleaf said:
Sakurai posted this page from Nintendo Dream (a Japanese magazine) on his twitter page. It's a character popularity poll, and Sakurai was surprised by the results.

Av5YocRCQAAzxRm.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/215707283961823232/photo/1

1. Pit
2. Mario
3. Kirby
4. Link
5. Luigi
6. Pikachu
7. Chrome (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
8. Yoshi
9. Ike
10. Zelda (Skyward Sword)
11. Marth
12. Hatsune Miku
13. Viridi
14. Waluigi
15. Sonic
16. Dark Pit
17. Palutena
18. Kirino Ranmaru (Inazuma Eleven)
19. ?
20. Fox

Sakurai was probably just surprised that Pit was number 1, and that three other Kid Icarus characters also made the top 20, but maybe he'll take this poll into consideration?
SO MANY KID ICARUS CHARACTERS! Really, I just want to see Magnus, Viridi doesn't even fight, and I'd rather not see Palutena join the fray. Dark Pit is LITERALLY Pit's clone, so I don't know what he could add.

Chrome is an decent choice, though I'd prefer Krom (I hope I got the name right). And Waluigi, what do you know! ;)

Seriously, though, I want a worldwide poll for this, NOT just what the Japanese want.

From where the poll's sources indicate, this poll seems to have been conducted only with a few participants (less than 200 hundred based on how Pit's score was less than 200). This counts for an extremely small amount of Japan's population.

I personally don't think this poll will have that big of an effect on the roster (though I bet Sakurai must be surprised by how Pit had beat Mario on this poll - must have a lot of biased Kid Icarus fans to do that considering how many KI characters came up). :P

A worldwide poll would be nice to see, but the possibility of that? Let's hope the possibility comes true this time. :)

Currently, I just don't consider Namco Bandai's involvement as a sign for 3rd party characters returning. After all, this is a game involving Nintendo's historical franchises.

MnSG said:
Currently, I just don't consider Namco Bandai's involvement as a sign for 3rd party characters returning. After all, this is a game involving Nintendo's historical franchises.
Why wouldn't they put more 3rd party characters in why would they limit themselves to only first party characters when eventually you will run out of quality first party characters and they'll start throwing in characters like Waluigi, Daisy, Toon Ganondorf, more star fox characters that don't have different moves and have the same final smash, and Chibi Robo.

Smashgoom202 said:

WHOA WHOA

Currently the prototype prepared by NAMCO BANDAI Games and NAMCO BANDAI Studios' special team looks pretty good and it's working great.

They have a prototype. Now we know the game WILL make an appearance at E3 2013 at the very least.

Also there is the concern of whether or not this list of poll characters is the same as the one from the same poll on another magazine discovered in the Smash boards which had these characters and Mario in first place (rather confused of which to believe):

img_2960.jpg

1) Mario
2) Link
3) Pit
4) Kirby
5) Luigi
6) Yoshi
7) Kariya Masaki (Inazuma 11)
8*) Pikachu
9) Ike
10) Palutena
11) Bowser
12) Samus
13) Karino Ranmaru (Inazuma 11)
14) Black Pit
15) Kouen Jishuuya (Inazuma 11)
16) Hatsune Miku
17) Minamisawa Atsushi (Inazuma 11)
18) Giraham
19) Black Kyurem
20) Wario
21) Toad
22) Zelda
23) Daisy
24) Shindou Takuto (Inazuma 11)
25) Teresa? (Mario)
26) Fox
27) Bass (Megaman)
28) Marth
29) Inazuma 11 character
30) Inazuma 11 character

Either way, I don't think either of these influence Smash Bros., but rather serves as a popularity poll for Nintendo/video game characters. Sakurai was probably surprised by Pit's votes in the other poll.

Toad was pretty high on that list. That's the only reason I hope this list will influence the game's next roster.

How come people voted for Daisy and not for Rosalina...

Come on, we already have Dark Pit in Brawl, he's just a lame Pit recolor! Palutena would be neat though. And I can see Waluigi easily joining the fray, even though I'd rather have him as an Assist Trophy again.

The hype. IT'S BEGINNING AGAIN.

Anser said:

Because Daisy has been around in the series longer, made more appearances in games, and therefore more popular than Rosalina

Anser said:
Well there are two answers
1. People like Daisy better
2. It's a conspiracy formed by Nintendo in order to prove that Rosalina isn't popular so they don't have to include her in any more games

Baby Luigi said:
Toad was pretty high on that list. That's the only reason I hope this list will influence the game's next roster.

Haha, I feel the same (I'm actually quite shocked Toad did that well :eek:).

Still, it doesn't seem that the poll might be the greatest support for future characters (it doesn't seem related to Smash Bros. aside from having these characters - maybe it is, I'm not sure :P).

They shouldn't conduct a poll where the majority of the characters listed as favorite are already playable in the Super Smash Bros. games.

Baby Luigi said:
They shouldn't conduct a poll where the majority of the characters listed as favorite are already playable in the Super Smash Bros. games.

Agreed, though I'm sure that either Sakurai or Nintendo will release one later on just for Smash Bros.. Hopefully, that poll comes out of Japan this time.

Xenophon P. Wilfley said:
MnSG said:
Why wouldn't they put more 3rd party characters in why would they limit themselves to only first party characters when eventually you will run out of quality first party characters and they'll start throwing in characters like Waluigi, Daisy, Toon Ganondorf, more star fox characters that don't have different moves and have the same final smash, and Chibi Robo.

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I'm merely just pointing out that involving 3rd party developers doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get 3rd party characters. F-Zero GX, Star Fox Assault, and Mario Super Sluggers proves that.

Baby Luigi said:
Anser said:

Because Daisy has been around in the series longer, made more appearances in games, and therefore more popular than Rosalina

The only problem is, Daisy only had one mainstream appearance, while Rosalina had two. Of course, Rosalina played a much bigger role in the first Super Mario Galaxy than in its sequel.

It should also be noted that unlike Daisy, Rosalina would have an easier time receiving a moveset that would make her different from Peach.

Also, Rosalina is the one and only character from the Marioverse who has a backstory. That automatically makes her great (see why people hate Waluigi so much, aside from being obnoxious).

Anser said:
Also, Rosalina is the one and only character from the Marioverse who has a backstory. That automatically makes her great (see why people hate Waluigi so much, aside from being obnoxious).
Wario has a back story as to why he hates Mario, Mario and Luigi both have back stories in the form of the Yoshi series and the cartoons, Peach has a back story in the form of Partners in time and YIDS, and Bowser has a back story in the form of the Yoshi series. Also having a back story doesn't make you great it means you're more complicated and it doesn't do you any good if your back story sucks.

Anser said:
Wario has a back story as to why he hates Mario, Mario and Luigi both have back stories in the form of the Yoshi series and the cartoons, Peach has a back story in the form of Partners in time and YIDS, and Bowser has a back story in the form of the Yoshi series. Also having a back story doesn't make you great it means you're more complicated and it doesn't do you any good if your back story sucks.

I was referring to non-main characters. I guess I forgot to clarify that after my "one and only Marioverse character" sentence. Rosalina's backstory makes her more valuable than other secondary characters like Daisy or Waluigi. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood your last sentence as if you said Rosalina's backstory sucks, and it doesn't.

Anser said:
Anser said:

I was referring to non-main characters. I guess I forgot to clarify that after my "one and only Marioverse character" sentence. Rosalina's backstory makes her more valuable than other secondary characters like Daisy or Waluigi. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood your last sentence as if you said Rosalina's backstory sucks, and it doesn't.
You really think a back story adds more value to a character in the Mario series tell me this how often has Wario's back story come up never it's never mentioned in the games. Tell me this how much did Rosalina's back story influence Galaxy 2 or Mario Kart wii and 7. And do you really think it would add anything to a fighting game especially this type of fighting game? You wanna know what matters in this type of a game marketability and name recognition this game is all about using your favorite characters to beat the hell out of other characters which means the most popular characters will get in while other will stay out. The only exceptions to this rule are important nostalgic things such as R.O.B and Mr. Game & Watch.

Back