How do you regard Marioverse representives?

Dorayaki

King Bowser
I'm still curious about what you guys think of using Mario subseries characters in Smash games while other Mario series characters aren't in, or whether the staff should put in more Marioverse characters.

In reality, I love to play the subseries. But in the view of all Marioverse, I think mainseries is more important or major than subseries if putting them together in the crossover titles, just like it's werid to see a Mario spinoff composed half of kongs. In Brawl there are DK/Diddy, Yoshi and Wario who seem to appear as their own series representives, while others have the more priority in Marioverse (eg, Daisy, Toad).

Several reasons I don't support this idea: one is that the staff don't really devote to these subseries (no new sequels in Wii/3DS, etc). Instead of Iceclimbers who won't have other sequels, the staff should be active in their ongoing titles. Or this would decrease the convincibility that subseries can have representives in crossovers, while only Mario bros and Bowser are necessary for Mario series.

Secondly, while some fans assume that each subseries can have the second representive (Jimmy, Syrup, Dixie, babies, King K Rool etc), not only they don't have recent appearances in their own subseries, but they also don't recieve chances to be in Mario spinoff titles as many other complaints. The staff may have to fix it before adding characters in Brawl.

My version of Brawl roster if they didn't stress on subseries:

Mario_Bros._Emblem.gif

-Mario
-Luigi
-Peach
-Bowser
-Toad
Donkey_Kong_Emblem.gif

-Donkey Kong
-King K Rool
Yoshi_Emblem.gif

-Yoshi
-Birdo

Birdo is not part of the Yoshi series.

I am so please refer to them as a series of different, anyway, who is good or I or K. Rool Dixie or syrup.

fuck marioverse representatives

add bowser jr and toad and then everyone will be happy and not give a shit about mario reps anymore.

Minuette said:
Birdo is not part of the Yoshi series.
Birdo does get paired with Yoshi in a bunch of games though, so keep that in note.

It's true though, as far as I'm aware Birdo is not a part of the Yoshi series.

I would rather they put in Waluigi and Toad.

Toad because he's a major Mario character who is deserving of a playable role and the only character in Mario Kart 64 (which is composed of all regular characters) to not appear playable.

Waluigi so I can do Mario vs. Luigi vs. Waluigi vs. Wario matches. And I guess he's pretty popular, whether he made a mainstream appearance or not.

Jack Noir said:
Birdo does get paired with Yoshi in a bunch of games though, so keep that in note.

It's true though, as far as I'm aware Birdo is not a part of the Yoshi series.
I put here randomly, which is similar with Waluigi in Wario series or Daisy in NSMB while they're actually not. I guess the staff didn't make use of these partner characters.

Baby Luigi said:
Waluigi so I can do Mario vs. Luigi vs. Waluigi vs. Wario matches. And I guess he's pretty popular, whether he made a mainstream appearance or not.
As far as many plumbers ruin diversity in crossover, I'm not sure about that. Before other Mario characters, the only solution is he can be like Wario who is having different career in Diamond City.

Dorayaki said:
Baby Luigi said:
As far as many plumbers ruin diversity in crossover, I'm not sure about that. Before other Mario characters, the only solution is he can be like Wario who is having different career in Diamond City.

Do they honestly care about diversity? Especially considering that there has been 3 Links playable, 3 Landmasters as final smashes, and an untold number of clones. As long as a character is popular, well-known, and Nintendo, they will have a good shot of making it in.

Baby Luigi said:
Dorayaki said:
Baby Luigi said:

Do they honestly care about diversity? Especially considering that there has been 3 Links playable, 3 Landmasters as final smashes, and an untold number of clones. As long as a character is popular, well-known, and Nintendo, they will have a good shot of making it in.
This

Waddle Dee said:
add bowser jr and toad and then everyone will be happy.
? I remember that Bowser Jr is still new before Rosalina and Toadette. Most main characters are prior to him in fact.

Baby Luigi said:
Lack of status diversity is the original problem in Mario spinoffs. However, it's still that some other main characters are prior to Waluigi.
In Wario's case, the games describe his career as treasure hunter or game developer, this can be applied if Waluigi apear in other subseries.

For Zelda Toon series, I don't know if they'd apply it for Paper Mario, but I can clearly say that it's hard to make the fourth Zelda representive from their parallel worlds. Or in the same case, should they put Aryal and Goombario instead? :???:

Birdo is unimportant; the Yoshi series doesn't need any more representatives. I'd stick to the 8 representatives we have now (counting Yoshi, DK, and Wario), adding Toad and K. Rool for an even 10. Waluigi doesn't get in until he has a role outside sports games.

Gummy said:
Birdo is unimportant; the Yoshi series doesn't need any more representatives. I'd stick to the 8 representatives we have now (counting Yoshi, DK, and Wario), adding Toad and K. Rool for an even 10. Waluigi doesn't get in until he has a role outside sports games.
It's weird to hear that you don't need Birdo but still retain other main characters.
Diddy wasn't counted so only 7 are left.

Uh... I don't think Birdo should be a playable character. She is just not that big of a character...
and why shouldn't Diddy be in the roster?

Pandapowah said:
Uh... I don't think Birdo should be a playable character. She is just not that big of a character...
I found it's contradictory to say other main characters are "big enough" while Birdo herslef isn't. And for Diddy, this is what I talked about in the first columm.

Dorayaki said:
Pandapowah said:
I found it's contradictory to say other main characters are "big enough" while Birdo herslef isn't. And for Diddy, this is what I talked about in the first columm.

What I was trying to say was, that Birdo hasn't played a lot of major roles in the Mario series or any other series. The games she has been appearing in recently are spin-offs.
She never starred in her own game and isn't that popular compared to other characters either.

Pandapowah said:
What I was trying to say was, that Birdo hasn't played a lot of major roles in the Mario series or any other series. The games she has been appearing in recently are spin-offs.
She never starred in her own game and isn't that popular compared to other characters either.
I remember it's a common problem for most spinoff regulars without any appearance in Mario mainstream games. The example of Birdo is just in face of other playable Brawl characters here.

I personally don't think Birdo would be in the next smash game, but it's not doubtful if it happens.

Dorayaki said:
Pandapowah said:
I remember it's a common problem for most spinoff regulars without any appearance in Mario mainstream games. The example of Birdo is just in face of other playable Brawl characters here.
How so? Every Mario character in Brawl is a main character.

Magikrazy said:
Dorayaki said:
If we stick to Mario mainstream games, DK, Yoshi and Wario don't represent the Mario series but their own subseries. Just like I said, in priority if we only let Mario main characters appear, it would be Daisy and Toad who appeared in Smash Brawl instead of Yoshi and Wario.

Dorayaki said:
Magikrazy said:
Dorayaki said:
If we stick to Mario mainstream games, DK, Yoshi and Wario don't represent the Mario series but their own subseries. Just like I said, in priority if we only let Mario main characters appear, it would be Daisy and Toad who appeared in Smash Brawl instead of Yoshi and Wario.
DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and Wario are the main characters of their own series (hence the different logo).

Plus, Daisy isn't a main character in the Mario series. She's been stuck in spin-offs since NES Open Tournament Golf.

Magikrazy said:
DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and Wario are the main characters of their own series (hence the different logo).
Plus, Daisy isn't a main character in the Mario series. She's been stuck in spin-offs since NES Open Tournament Golf.
So subseries representives is the topic for discussion here.

I don't know what's your meaning with "main characters". If you mean mainstream games, Mario bros, Bowser and Peach are the main characters there and they're all currently playable in Brawl. "Spinoff regular" is another story that the staff have to face.

Dorayaki said:
I don't know what's your meaning with "main characters". If you mean mainstream games, Mario bros, Bowser and Peach are the main characters there and they're all currently playable in Brawl. "Spinoff regular" is another story that the staff have to face.
Considering this, I sense a problem with Waluigi. He hasn't been in any main Mario or Wario game, so would he need to get a new logo? Perhaps a tennis racket since he first appeared in Mario Tennis.

Magikrazy said:
Considering this, I sense a problem with Waluigi. He hasn't been in any main Mario or Wario game, so would he need to get a new logo? Perhaps a tennis racket since he first appeared in Mario Tennis.
Waluigi wouldn't be in Smash so soon in his priority, but honestly like Birdo's case he should be in Wario games.

Majin Buu said:
I honestly don't care as long as they aren't
a) a clone
b) a generic species
If you mean clone is shadow or metal form, they're already fulfilled by Brawl iitself.

Dorayaki said:
Majin Buu said:
I honestly don't care as long as they aren't
a) a clone
b) a generic species
If you mean clone is shadow or metal form, they're already fulfilled by Brawl iitself.

No, he meant by clones having the same bones aka same moveset, animations, etc. Like Ganondorf to Captain Falcon or Toon Link to Link.

Back