The most annoying Mario enemy

In the 2D games, the Hammer Bros. are the bane of my existence. I can't ever dodge the bastards, and they always manage to hit me with every hammer ever. And the Chain Chomp gets an honourable mention as well, it can kill me faster than I think it can.

I don't have a specific 'this is the worst enemy'-enemy in the 3D games, all enemies are relatively easy to deal with in those games anyway. I mean, the Chain Chomps can be dodged easier, and the Hammer Bros.' accuracy isn't as precise as it is in the 2D titles, so their hammers are easier to dodge. That and you can always, you know, go around them.

In the classic 2D games, the Hammer Bros. are pretty much the most annoying enemies to deal with. Of course, they can still be annoying today, but the last set of 2D platformers gave them uncommon appearances; in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, they only appeared in World 1-3, which meant that you'd have to compose your own levels with Reggie if you wanted them to be more common.

I have a few.

Those Fuzzies in NSMBWii are so dang annoying. All the Bros. (hammer, ice, fire, sledge) can be annoying too in NSMBWii. But don't forget Lakitus! They are so annoying in every single 2D platformer they appear in!

Hammer Bros. from SMB1, SMB2 and Lost Levels (they're not too bad in other games). They're very unpredictable and they have no pattern. Despite moving completely randomly they never seem to make a move which will allow you to get past them. For example, a pair of Hammer Bros. on the usual two rows of bricks, you think to yourself 'right, if that one jumps to the top row and the other one stays in the middle I'll be able to run past', but they never do, their movements always seem to synchronise to allow you to do nothing without getting hit or just to mock you.

Podoboos - they never seem to have any sort of pattern, they just jump out at whatever time is most inconvenient. You think you've got the timing down, you jump over the gap, there it jumps out.

Bloopers - they're not usually a problem when they're on their own, but when there's several of them on screen they're so annoying to avoid because they move all over the place.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Podobos!

In NSMBWii, to me they seem pretty easy, but true, they are annoying. The only way you can kill 'em is ice!

Tatanga said:
Podoboos - they never seem to have any sort of pattern, they just jump out at whatever time is most inconvenient. You think you've got the timing down, you jump over the gap, there it jumps out.

At least starting in Super Mario Bros. 3 and later, the Podoboos have a set pattern with their jumps.

Autobombs in SMB2! I seem to always fall prey to those things. The Pansers were rather annoying as well. :-\

I also wasn't too big of a fan of the Thwomps especially in SMG2.

Yurarin Boos from Super Mario Land are annoying, I never could dodge their *bleeping* FIREBALLS!!!!!

I can agree with Lakitu considering I never got past a level on Super Mario Bros: Lost Levels cause of them.

Blaargs are annoying too.

Fuzzies in Paper Mario and other games are annoying alot. They can duplicate themselves WTF.

Pokeys are also annoying.

Why is everyone mentioning Thwomps? They are so easy to dodge! They're my favorite enemies though.

Propeller Toad said:
Autobombs in SMB2! I seem to always fall prey to those things. The Pansers were rather annoying as well. :-\

I've never had a problem with Autobombs and Pansers, but speaking of SMB2, I've always found Flurries to be a pain in the arse. An unpredictably moving enemy which usually comes after you when you're on low-traction ice, with there usually being bottemless pits to fall down, is a bad mix.

I always hated Big Berthas, Porcu-fish, Bloopers or nearly every other water enemy in existence with the sole exception of Cheep-Cheeps and Unagis.

Lakitus and the Yoshi's Island Fuzzies (these in areas where perfect jumping is a necessity).

IceShadow1199 said:
Why is everyone mentioning Thwomps?

one person mentioned them...

while I love Hammer Bros. and Lakitus, they are definitely pains in the ass in the 2D games.

Tatanga said:
Propeller Toad said:

I've never had a problem with Autobombs and Pansers, but speaking of SMB2, I've always found Flurries to be a pain in the arse. An unpredictably moving enemy which usually comes after you when you're on low-traction ice, with there usually being bottemless pits to fall down, is a bad mix.

I guess it was just my luck with them when I first encountered them years back. :) Also I have to agree with you about the Flurries. They really were unpredictable and it was their presence that really forced the players to really time their jumps well or at least fast enough. Not to mention that it was on the ice levels as well; the levels featuring the worst traction in the game.

IceShadow1199 said:
Why is everyone mentioning Thwomps? They are so easy to dodge! They're my favorite enemies though.
250px-Stone_Cyclone_Galaxy.png

^It's this level that I really had some real trouble with the Thwomps. I guess they aren't too bad; however, this level really did test my patience with them. :P

Stone Cyclone galaxy? I never got to that Galaxy, I'm a SMG Noob.

The Tox Boxes were a lot worse than the Thwomps in that level; all my deaths came from either falling or Tox Boxes.

But the special missions in SMG2 were the perfect difficulty. The feeling of victory after 50 deaths in a row is sweet.

That boss blitz comet was really difficult for me. I did it recently and I had 27 seconds left after I defeated Fiery Dino Piranha! I already beat the game before I did that

Bump!

I think Hammer Bros. are the most annoying enemies in the original SMB, their hammers are hard to dodge, which makes it harder for those who are making No-Mushroom runs.

Back