Have you ever been banned ??

The_Laughing_Cow.gif

Let's get back on topic now. We can carry this on elsewhere.

I was never banned nor warned in this forum, wiki or the chat. Well, I was being a jerk sometimes with Shoey and some other users on this forum but no warnings.

I can't believe this. I was banned one week from the chat.

Here's why: I was using the chat on my friend's house. I was thirsty and decided to get some water. But while I went away. My friend used my account and flooded the chat. To try to avoid my user being banned, he left the chat. I realized this when Hypnotoad told me I was banned on the chat.

Don't ever leave a computer that is logged into one of your personal accounts unsupervised. If you have to leave, and there's currently people around you who can take advantage of your absence, always log out first.

This is one of the ground principles for secure internet browsing. Don't be careless.

Boy, am I glad my brother doesn't care about my internet life at all. Whenever I still have pages like this open, he just minimises them all and plays Team Fortress 2.

Kyouko Kirigiri said:
Don't ever leave a computer that is logged into one of your personal accounts unsupervised. If you have to leave, and there's currently people around you who can take advantage of your absence, always log out first.

This is one of the ground principles for secure internet browsing. Don't be careless.

Yeah, I would never flood the chat anyway...

What I'd recommend is to just wait out the one week (one week isn't that long anyway), and then use the experience as a reminder to be more careful with your internet accounts (and by extension, your personal data) from now on. Nasty things can happen if other people are free to use your identity.

Kicking your friend's butt and telling him off for being a jerk and getting you into trouble is an additional option.

Yeah man, I was banned for a week and I handled it alright. Mind, I had LPs to read during that time.

Kyouko Kirigiri said:
What I'd recommend is to just wait out the one week (one week isn't that long anyway), and then use the experience as a reminder to be more careful with your internet accounts (and by extension, your personal data) from now on. Nasty things can happen if other people are free to use your identity.

Kicking your friend's butt and telling him off for being a jerk and getting you into trouble is an additional option.

Thank you so much.

After talking with other ops on what to do, we decided to unban him because his story seemed likely, and he confronted us like a civil person, which is very greatly appreciated. Not many people do that, and instead think it's more appropriate to scream at us like buffoons. We're more than willing to settle issues calmly, which will probably work for the benefit of everyone.

As Edo said, the best thing to do is to just be safe and log out or lock your computer if you're going away from it. I know this sort of predicament very well--my suitemates will often take advantage of my laptop being left alone to go and mess with my Facebook or other things. It's a terrible situation to try to fight my way out of, and the only way to prevent it is to just lock my computer when I'm away from it. The thing with these sorts of problems is that we can never know if there actually was a friend that did it. Just like it's always difficult to tell if a user having their sibling also on here is legitimate or just another sockpuppet.

That all being said, we generally view this sort of issue (friends/siblings doing the bad behavior while the user is away) as an issue of carelessness, leaving the user still liable.

today i got banned on the north korea board on reddit for posting a comment that said

"whats communism"

I haven't been banned here nor on the Wiki just yet (don't worry, I don't intend of doing anything of the negative sort either). I tend to help the Wiki itself more for its benefit as opposed to bringing it down.

I was banned from the wiki several years ago for making a category entitled "Characters who have had sex with Mario". It was instant; not even a warning or anything.

I see why this happens, because it's not officially known, and unsuitable for kids.

Gummy said:
I was banned from the wiki several years ago for making a category entitled "Characters who have had sex with Mario". It was instant; not even a warning or anything.

Quick question: what was going through your mind when you did this?

Gummy said:
lol, why would you do that. There wasn't a way to avoid being banned in that situation.

Crackin355 said:
Gummy said:

Quick question: what was going through your mind when you did this?
Probably TROLOLOLOLOLO

Back