"Bullying is necessary!" says my friend

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
In my English class, we had to do this projects of sorts about fitting in. In my little group, the topic eventually veered to school cliques (nerd, jock, etc) and the school hierarchy. I said that it would be better if everyone was more or less equal, but my friend told me that these cliques are needed in schools because "Everyone needs someone to make fun of". He says that it's hardwired into the human mind that if someone is below us in status, we will always treat them like crap. We need someone that we can make fun of so that we ourselves can feel better about ourselves, according to him. Yes, he was completely serious, considering he was very willing to say this to the whole class, though the bell rang before that happened.

So, discuss.

GreenDisaster said:
my friend told me that these cliques are needed in schools because "Everyone needs someone to make fun of". He says that it's hardwired into the human mind that if someone is below us in status, we will always treat them like crap.

somebody thinks he's the next Nietzsche.

sounds true to me

most people i know have someone to make fun of, even if its their friends jokingly

i wouldnt go as far as to say bullying is necessary however

He's an idiot. To say that everybody must make fun of a person who is perceived as lower in status to boost self-esteem implies that everyone has a superiority complex, which is not the case.

wow, that's just...wow. I don't know how to respond to that. that's pretty stupid.

Rat said:
You should try making him not your friend.

^ also per this.

That's pretty cold of him. You should tell him if that is how he feels, people wouldn't like him.

GreenDisaster said:
Minuette said:
Try picking on him.
I'm not that kind of person. Even if it's to make a point, I could never do it.
Sure you could look him right in the eyes and call him a pussy bitch it's fun.

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
sounds true to me

most people i know have someone to make fun of, even if its their friends jokingly

am i the only other person who agrees with this

It's not necessary, but it happens. And I think we can all agree it's better to have fun with friends that way than start belittling random people for teh evulz.

Jack Noir said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
sounds true to me

am i the only other person who agrees with this

It's not necessary, but it happens. And I think we can all agree it's better to have fun with friends that way than start belittling random people for teh evulz.
Other than me semi-agreeing, yes, yes you are probably.

Xenophon P. Wilfley said:
GreenDisaster said:
Minuette said:
Try picking on him.
I'm not that kind of person. Even if it's to make a point, I could never do it.
Sure you could look him right in the eyes and call him a pussy bitch it's fun.
Trust me, I'm the nicest freaking kid in the school. I hate to tease anyone, unless it's simply as a joke and the other person understands that.

Toad85 said:
AAAAAAAASSHOOOOOOOOLE

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
sounds true to me

Agree on both

GreenDisaster said:
In my English class, we had to do this projects of sorts about fitting in. In my little group, the topic eventually veered to school cliques (nerd, jock, etc) and the school hierarchy. I said that it would be better if everyone was more or less equal, but my friend told me that these cliques are needed in schools because "Everyone needs someone to make fun of". He says that it's hardwired into the human mind that if someone is below us in status, we will always treat them like crap. We need someone that we can make fun of so that we ourselves can feel better about ourselves, according to him. Yes, he was completely serious, considering he was very willing to say this to the whole class, though the bell rang before that happened.

So, discuss.
He is an asshole, but occasionally people who are bullied turn their lives around because of it. For example, Michael Jordon was told how much he sucked, so he practiced extra hard to become the greatest. It certainly is not a good thing, it is a horrible thing that can seldom lead to suicide, but sometimes good things can come out of evil things.

That's a dumb friend right there. :-\ Bullying has always been a heated subject, but saying that is just going too far. The thing that irritates me most about bullies is that they don't think about how one simple insult could make someone feel miserable and suicidal. I don't bully anyone, and it's going to stay that way.

Back