"Bullying is necessary!" says my friend

The idea that we "NEED" people to make fun of is ludicrous. We SHOULDN'T make fun of others, and bullying is wrong, no matter HOW you justify it.

Of course, I'm sure some of us can debate as to what degree bullying has gone too far, as people tend to recact to different levels of bullying differently, but more often then not, bullies seem to go out of their way to find a single flaw that isn't even wrong, per se, but still exploit it and use it to say mean things, just for the heck of it.

And that's bad.

Fuck that guy. No offense to you, but he's a dick.

Things like "nerd" or "jock" can't be avoided because humans naturally form social "classes" as a social animal. No equality can be formed just by saying "bullying is bad". Getting to the point, teasing can't really be stopped either, since like your friend says, it is a natural way humans exert dominance.

Necromorph said:
Things like "nerd" or "jock" can't be avoided because humans naturally form social "classes" as a social animal. No equality can be formed just by saying "bullying is bad". Getting to the point, teasing can't really be stopped either, since like your friend says, it is a natural way humans exert dominance.
You may have a point, but going as far as to say it's necessary is goin too far in my opinion.

Necromorph said:

hey

i have an idea on how to stop teasing

"don't tease people"

it's magic

Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
Necromorph said:

hey

"don't tease people"

it's magic
In that case, I wish I was a wizard. :(

Necromorph said:

hey

"don't tease people"

it's magic

okay. but first never say anything behind someones back or think about them behind their back first.

From a Christian stand point I refer to the 10 commandments but at first I couldn't find out where bullying may fall under.

Then I thought it may fall under #6: Do not murder (or even think of murdering), but then I rethought about it and debunk the idea because bullying is making fun of/insulting somebody or hurting somebody not conspiring to murder somebody (that's usually an entirely different level).

Then it hit me, from taking a second look at the commandments, bullying in school campus falls under commandment #5: Honor your father and mother (that include authorities). The authority here is the school (or schoolboard or school district) who issue the student handbook, and give it to every student, which has all the rules that a student is oblige to comply with since the day they sign their name in the contract before they enrolled in school.

Now assuming that your school's handbook most likely has that rule of no bullying then I come to the logical conclusion of: that kid's ideology is putting the school in a state a chaos (well that's a bit exaggerate. It depends on school size to population, but besides that, you get my point :posh: ) and in-turn: "Bullying is unnecessary!".

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
Necromorph said:

hey

"don't tease people"

it's magic

okay. but first never say anything behind someones back or think about them behind their back first.

well a lot of that will be inevitable and it can't really be helped, but when it comes to preventing bullying, just trying not to be a dick goes a long way.

Alright, I found out about something today, and so I say, in response to everyone who thinks "bulling is necessary" or that bully victims are week pushovers, let me tell you...

Is THIS necessary?!

(incidentally, I happen to live near where this happened. :mad: )

...And your point is? The whole thing is fucking stupid, yes, but just shifting the victim from a child/teen to an adult pokes no holes in the "bullying is necessary" argument.

Byakuya Togami said:
...And your point is? The whole thing is *bleep*ing stupid, yes, but just shifting the victim from a child/teen to an adult pokes no holes in the "bullying is necessary" argument.
I'm sorry... what? No seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? Did you HEAR the stuff those kids were saying? No one should EVER say stuff like that! I would THINK this would be obvious, but apparently, people NEED clarification. This sort of ganging up on an individual, saying they intend to crap in someone's mouth, hitting and poking them repeatedly, it walks the fine line between bullying and harassment!

Like seriously, how can you look at that and say it doesn't poke holes in the "bullying is necessary" argument?! THIS IS BULLYING! THIS IS WHAT KIDS ARE DOING! It's wrong and there should be MORE of an effort to stop it! And I hate we keep going back and forth on it like this, but it seems to be like the people who argue against it are either bullies themselves are are so thick-skinned and thick-headed that they can't comprehend the idea that young people are really impressionable and hearing stuff like this from their peers JUST MIGHT EFFECT THEIR WORLD VIEW!

Granted, the person in the video was an adult, but she's an elderly adult. Whatever happened to "respect your elders"? And to make matters worse, someone in her family DID kill herself, so a comment like "your family killed themselves just to get away from you" is not only not funny and not cool, it's just...

GAH, you and these people frustrate me so freaking much! THEY frustrate me because they don't see the problem in making someone else's life miserable, and YOU frustrate me because you seem so detatched and aloof that you don't see the problem with this, and denying that it has a place in this argument!

Seriously, fuck that and fuck you, ya jerk!

You need to calm down. I did not say I approved of this, which is why I said "the whole thing is fucking stupid." The reason this doesn't really poke holes in the "bullying is necessary" argument is because bullies aren't going to have an epiphany and change their behavior just because the victim is older. If anything, it boosts their self-esteem and egos more because adults are generally viewed as authority figures. Also, anything one sees or hears can and will affect one's worldview; it's up to the individual to determine the extent to which it's affected.

Byakuya Togami said:
You need to calm down. I did not say I approved of this, which is why I said "the whole thing is *bleep*ing stupid." The reason this doesn't really poke holes in the "bullying is necessary" argument is because bullies aren't going to have an epiphany and change their behavior just because the victim is older. If anything, it boosts their self-esteem and egos more because adults are generally viewed as authority figures. Also, anything one sees or hears can and will affect one's worldview; it's up to the individual to determine the extent to which it's affected.

I guess I'm just one of those people who can't understand the idea of "getting off" on making someone feel bad or stupid. In fact, I'm one of those people who immediately rushes to someone's side to comfort them, regardless of who they are, and try to understand their mindset before seeing whether or not they can handle stuff like this. I also have pretty low self-esteem and the idea of actually fighting against my elders or people in authority is something that never occurred to me growing up. In fact, I tended to get along with people older then me then my actual peers (imagine that...).

Smashgoom202 said:
In fact, I tended to get along with people older than me than my actual peers (imagine that...).

I was the same way, though our reasons are probably different.

a+ topic would read again

i had a big long rant re: this shit but then i decided it was pointless and deleted it

Xia Wang said:
From a Christian stand point I refer to the 10 commandments but at first I couldn't find out where bullying may fall under.

Then I thought it may fall under #6: Do not murder (or even think of murdering), but then I rethought about it and debunk the idea because bullying is making fun of/insulting somebody or hurting somebody not conspiring to murder somebody (that's usually an entirely different level).

Then it hit me, from taking a second look at the commandments, bullying in school campus falls under commandment #5: Honor your father and mother (that include authorities). The authority here is the school (or schoolboard or school district) who issue the student handbook, and give it to every student, which has all the rules that a student is oblige to comply with since the day they sign their name in the contract before they enrolled in school.

Now assuming that your school's handbook most likely has that rule of no bullying then I come to the logical conclusion of: that kid's ideology is putting the school in a state a chaos (well that's a bit exaggerate. It depends on school size to population, but besides that, you get my point :posh: ) and in-turn: "Bullying is unnecessary!".
NVM the Ten Commandments, what about the Golden Rule Jesus gave us according to your Bible?

Xia Wang said:
What, love and forgive others?
You're close, but still, you never heard of the Golden Rule??

To refer back to the original subject of this topic, bullying isn't necessary. That doesn't mean it won't continue to exist, though. It can certainly be mitigated, but it tends to be a part of human nature. I've been bullied myself, although not in the past few years. Having been a victim, I've tried to help out those who have been affected negatively by it when I see it, but at those times when I was the one getting the bitter end of it, when it moved on to someone lower than I was in the eyes of the aggressors I wasn't going to complain.

I'm pretty fortunate to now be attending a school where, for the most part, people seem to be easygoing and get along with just about everyone.

Xia Wang said:
Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Xia Wang said:
What, love and forgive others?
You're close, but still, you never heard of the Golden Rule??
Oh you mean treat others as you will want them to treat you.
Yeah because people totally follow that rule face it trying to use that rule against people just get's you harassed more.

Not exactly, Shoey. The potential for further harassment's there, but it's not guaranteed.

Back