Paper Mario: Sticker Star

God damnit, I don't want to wait until Christmas to play it. I payed for it my self, I just told my parents to hide it until Christmas, since I won't be getting much for it this year.

An Iwata Asks for the game came out today. Among other things, it further confirms that Nintendo Life interview statement about Miyamoto pushing for the erm, divise direction of the final game.
After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype [of Sticker Star] and said it was just a port of the GC version.

Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting.

Oh, Miyamoto. So you let the R&D B-team develop the atrocious NSMB2 without much oversight or supervision, but proceed to meddle with Intelligent Systems and bring the project in a terrible new direction? Concerning a game in a genre (RPGs) you have no real experience with?

What a senile moron. Glad he's stepping down soon.

Legault said:
Oh, Miyamoto. So you let the R&D B-team develop the atrocious NSMB2 without much oversight or supervision, but proceed to meddle with Intelligent Systems and bring the project in a terrible new direction? Concerning a game in a genre (RPGs) you have no real experience with?

A bit harsh. But understandable.

You can hope for the next game to be better, but I think it's been out for long enough that people that are still angry about it need to get over it. I know it's a first-world problem, but suck it up. Better luck next time.

Crackin355 said:
Legault said:

You can hope for the next game to be better, but I think it's been out for long enough that people that are still angry about it need to get over it. I know it's a first-world problem, but suck it up. Better luck next time.

I was actually one of the people saying that SS didn't really sound that bad, although after watching playthroughs, it's got many serious problems on a technical level. The big problem is that Miyamoto is single handedly responsible for these missteps, which is inexcusable.

And if criticism is a first-world problem, what does that make complaining about criticism?

No, criticism is fine, just being angry about something as small as a videogame for so long is kind of overdoing it.

Although, being angry at miyamoto is fine, since we just found out he's the reason it changed so much. Even though I don't care, you guys can go ahead.

Yeah, getting mad is a little extreme, but pointing out flaws and discussing the game on a critical level is fair game.

Legault said:
Yeah, getting mad is a little extreme, but pointing out flaws and discussing the game on a critical level is fair game.

This is pretty much my stance on it in a nutshell.

Although I don't really criticize much since I hardly care about flaws and stuff like that, but everyone here can usually pick out the flaws pretty well.

I want to give my spiel over this game from what I've seen/played from my friend's game.

Positive -
I find that the bosses are cool and Im glad to see some of our fav bosses in Paper form.
The items seem to be cool, and quite addictive to collect.
The coin upgrade does make sense, and is not that different from regular leveling.
The usage of paper is really inventive, and really makes this more paper-like.
Battles are fought like an RPG is and not Overworld style.
Love all of the shy guys, as I love them in Paper Mario.

Negative -
It just doesn't feel like Paper Mario; the lack of all the fun stuff (tattle, recipes, badges) really disappoints me, as the recipes was my favorite side quest in the series.
There are no partners, so it makes the game less interesting in general not to have the characteristics of all the partners making the games good.
Enemy battle angle is weird, and the health was a little weird to adjust to, but I guess not that bad.
The story, or rather the lack of, was the biggest pet peeve of mine in the game. The plot has ran the series until know, and gave them definition from the other series. I felt that it was another NSMB game that was in Paper form with some rpg aspects.

Now...I plan on getting it so I can enjoy it and better analyze my thoughts on it.

For all my research, it seems like a fun and inventive Mario game that I'll like. However, in Paper Mario/Mario RPG terms, I've been very disappointed by some of their drastic changes, and I hope that they realize that it's a good Mario game, but not fit in the PM/RPG category they have built up.

Glowsquid said:
Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting.
Ugh... I'd be ranting about this right now, but it'd basically be a repeat of what I already said, about this game being such a kick in the nuts and everything. Do you know what the saddest part about this whole thing is, though? The sales of this games are most likely going to be off the charts, and as such, they're going to continue churning out garbage like this, and possibly ruin the series even further.

Glowsquid said:
Then the members of Club Nintendo are fucking morons.

Gamefreak75 said:
like the Thing in level 5-3 because 5-3 is a shitty level and should never have existed.
AGREED X INFINITY

StiGir Star said:
Glowsquid said:
Then the members of Club Nintendo are fucking morons.

Gamefreak75 said:
like the Thing in level 5-3 because 5-3 is a shitty level and should never have existed.
AGREED X INFINITY
explain what was bad with level 5-3 please.

Then the members of Club Nintendo are *bleep*ing morons.

Not their fault spm story sucked.

Now pm and pmttyd stories however were pretty cool.

Joltik said:

Now pm and pmttyd stories however were pretty cool.

The story line definitely did not "suck". In fact, I thought it had the best plotline out of the entire series, where the final boss is not who you think it is and the forbidden love was pretty touchy. I mean, that might just be mean still holding a grudge over the final message from Peach in TTYD making it seem like it was more complicated and complex than being poccessed. I was so let down by that.

But okay, enough about my opinion (partly). Club Nintendo doesn't ask you "Do you think the plotline of SPM was good?" I'm sure that if they asked that, they would get more than 1% for sure. They cannot expect that because we didn't say anything about the storyline that the other 99% thinks it sucks.

Joltik said:

pfft, it's not like most people actually take the time to fill out the survey anyways

half the time, i put down "mario is awesome!" as almost every response

FireEevee said:
explain what was bad with level 5-3 please.
It'd make more sense if you actually played it, but 5-3 is basically a giant level where you're running away from a giant Cheep-Cheep thing.

Gamefreak75 said:
Joltik said:

pfft, it's not like most people actually take the time to fill out the survey anyways

half the time, i put down "mario is awesome!" as almost every response

Yeah I know but spm story was very uninteresting and quite dull, altough quite frankly it would have been better if they had actually questioned a better audience and more importantly the first two pms rather than spm.

Crackin355 said:
Legault said:

You know something i'm no longer able to take anything you say seriously because you come off as an annoying fan boy who dislikes when games he likes are criticized I base this not only off of your actions in this thread but the fact that you did the same thing to NSMB2 when it first came out and let me tell you it's annoying as fuck because you immediately dismiss criticism as first world problems which is already a douchy statement in amongst itself because it's used to make the people offering up criticism look like over reacting babies when in fact all they are doing is airing complaints because they are frustrated from buying a half assed game with stupid gimmicks

Octoberry said:
Crackin355 said:
Legault said:

You know something i'm no longer able to take anything you say seriously because you come off as an annoying fan boy who dislikes when games he likes are criticized I base this not only off of your actions in this thread but the fact that you did the same thing to NSMB2 when it first came out and let me tell you it's annoying as fuck because you immediately dismiss criticism as first world problems which is already a douchy statement in amongst itself because it's used to make the people offering up criticism look like over reacting babies when in fact all they are doing is airing complaints because they are frustrated from buying a half assed game with stupid gimmicks

Yeah, I know that I was being stupid with nsmb2, I really didn't care back then, it was a while back, I learnt my lesson for being an idiot back then.

But I did say criticism is fine, I like it in fact, I just said that being angry over something as small as a videogame is something that shouldn't last so long, maybe a while after getting it, just not for so long. Don't try turning this into a personal attack, that's stupid and nothing comes of it. You can hate me, that's fine, it's not my problem, it's you having a problem with me. I have problems with people on here, but I just ignore them when they're annoying and accept that they are like that, because that way some silly fight doesn't come of it. Hopefully this will end whatever you were trying to start.

Sorry that you have a problem with me.

Glowsquid said:
An Iwata Asks for the game came out today. Among other things, it further confirms that Nintendo Life interview statement about Miyamoto pushing for the erm, divise direction of the final game.
After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype [of Sticker Star] and said it was just a port of the GC version.
...How... is that a bad thing? Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was the best game in the series? Why change it? Hell, the fact that I KNEW that it was originally like that game makes me hate this game even more, JUST BECAUSE Miyamoto felt the need to stick his fingers into it and mess things up, just because he wasn't satisfied!

Like, I respect this guy, but he isn't the be-all-end-all thing to video games, not to mention, he DOESN'T strike me as the king of guy who "gets" the appeal of Paper Mario.

Do you want know what's hypocritical about this? Miyamoto has absolutely no problem whatsoever with all these New Super Mario Bros. rehashes, which have been coming out on a regular basis, almost, and yet he had an issue with Paper Mario 3DS being too similar to Thousand-Year Door, which came out 8 years ago? Really?

I respect the man, but Miyamoto doesn't make sense a lot of the time.

I still can't get over the fact that he doesn't understand why people want a new F-Zero title.

Smashgoom202 said:
Glowsquid said:
...How... is that a bad thing? Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door was the best game in the series? Why change it? Hell, the fact that I KNEW that it was originally like that game makes me hate this game even more, JUST BECAUSE Miyamoto felt the need to stick his fingers into it and mess things up, just because he wasn't satisfied!

Like, I respect this guy, but he isn't the be-all-end-all thing to video games, not to mention, he DOESN'T strike me as the king of guy who "gets" the appeal of Paper Mario.

I seriously want to kill this man now that I learned that. Too similar to Thousand-Year Door?! WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?! It's best game in the series!!

Back