Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Is PMSS worth getting? It looks awesome and I was thinking of buying it, but I've seen quite mixed reviews.

Solar Blaze said:
The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the story or characters we focused instead on paper.
This is just ridiculous. What is wrong with you, Miyamoto? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

YoshiKong said:
Is PMSS worth getting? It looks awesome and I was thinking of buying it, but I've seen quite mixed reviews.

Play it for yourself. You might enjoy the aspects of the game which annoy some reviewers.

Nabber said:
Solar Blaze said:
The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the story or characters we focused instead on paper.
This is just ridiculous. What is wrong with you, Miyamoto? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
To be honest, it's not entirely bad. On one hand, I'm disappointed that there aren't any new characters or enemies exclusive to the series, but on the other hand, it gave room for old enemies in the Mario series to be introduced in the Paper Mario games, such as Spikes, Snow Spikes, Ice Bros, Gooper Blooper, and Petey.

Well, I said what the World 3 and World 5 bosses were, but if you already knew who they were that then go ahead and click.

It's nothing major like plot details and stuff though, but I guess it could be for those who don't want to know what enemies are in the game or what two of bosses are.

Eh, I think I won't look.

And to clarify:

When I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," I don't mean that you shouldn't make any improvements on a franchise. I mean that you shouldn't make drastic changes to the gameplay. For instance, Super Mario Bros. 3 had the basic ideas of Super Mario Bros, but it still introduced many new ideas that revamped the gameplay while still keeping true to its roots and having what everyone loved about the game.

Taking away original characters, partners, and the RPG elements is basically a giant "Screw you" to fans of the series.

I was surprised at how easy Petey was. I thought he was supposed to have 500 HP, but he only has 300 HP. I didn't even use a single thing sticker, and I brought the Air Conditioner, Boom Box, and Oven expecting a long fight. He didn't even go into the phase where he just bites the shit out of you for massive damage. Although, to be honest, I pretty much spammed Big Shiny Jumps on Petey. I had half a mind to use an Infinijump as well.

Nabber said:

And to clarify:

When I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," I don't mean that you shouldn't make any improvements on a franchise. I mean that you shouldn't make drastic changes to the gameplay. For instance, Super Mario Bros. 3 had the basic ideas of Super Mario Bros, but it still introduced many new ideas that revamped the gameplay while still keeping true to its roots and having what everyone loved about the game.

Taking away original characters, partners, and the RPG elements is basically a giant "Screw you" to fans of the series.
it could have been worse nabber.

at least there aren't no pixls and a bland storyline slapped on which would be a "omg princess got stolen go to the next castle" and so on until you reach to the last fucking world.

FireEevee said:
Nabber said:

And to clarify:

it could have been worse nabber.

at least there aren't no pixls and a bland storyline slapped on which would be a "omg princess got stolen go to the next castle" and so on until you reach to the last fucking world.
I'd much prefer pixls to no partners, and I hear the story isn't much more than that.

Yoshiquaker said:
Where is the tablet piece in 2-3? (well I think it's there; I've found the ones in 2-1 and 2-2)
It's in 2-4. You need to use the Vacuum to clear up the desert storm and then the faucet to pour water into the dried up lake. Then go inside the Toad's house and open his wardrobe.

I might be too late in replying considering you posted this 5 hours ago.

Nabber said:

And to clarify:

More I hear about this game the sadder I get.

Sure it has some neat ideas though, but idk. I generally love the paper mario series but the sticker star seems to almost destroy what I loved about paper mario, which is kinda depressing. I do wonder if this new formula could manage well enough on its own though.

The Bat makes everything easier for Tower Power Pokey. It does like 90 damage in one shot.

Also, Rustly Burrow can go fuck itself.

Dusknoir said:
Yoshiquaker said:
Where is the tablet piece in 2-3? (well I think it's there; I've found the ones in 2-1 and 2-2)
It's in 2-4. You need to use the Vacuum to clear up the desert storm and then the faucet to pour water into the dried up lake. Then go inside the Toad's house and open his wardrobe.

I might be too late in replying considering you posted this 5 hours ago.
Yep.
Gir said:
The Bat makes everything easier for Tower Power Pokey. It does like 90 damage in one shot.
I so wish I had known the Bat hit every segment before I used it.

Solar Blaze said:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

There you have it. This explains everything, actually. Earlier screenshots like this one clearly indicated that they were indeed planning on returning to the original formula, and yet, for some stupid reason, Miyamoto thought it was a good idea to just take everything that the previous games established (partners, original enemy species, deep, story-driven plots, etc.) and just throw it out the window. It's already bad enough that the platformers are doing this, but now this is happening to the RPGs, too? Yeah, that about does it for me. I think I'm officially done with the series. Although, I do still have some hope for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. That seems like the series' only saving grace at this point, unless that game is also going to end up getting stripped of its creativity and freedom like all the other Mario games as of late.

What the fuck is wrong with this guy? If he keeps thinking that way, I hope the rumors about him quitting Nintendo soon are true. What the hell is wrong with him. He's slowly converting everything into a goddamn platformer. We wanted a CLASSIC Paper Mario and not this pile of crap we got, Miyamoto. Thank you for creating Mario and establishing the bases, but seriously, go back to your innovative roots or GTFO and let the new, young, fresh talent take over before you mess everything up. I've slowly been giving up on Mario because of the ridiculousness he's been making. The last game I bought was Galaxy 2, and I'm not planning on buying anything Mario-related anytime soon because nothing calls my attention.

Hm...I was thinking about buying this game, but everyone seems to hate it.

Oh, well. At least there's still the Mario & Luigi RPGs for good mario RPGs on handhelds.

Solar Blaze said:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

There you have it. This explains everything, actually. Earlier screenshots like this one clearly indicated that they were indeed planning on returning to the original formula, and yet, for some stupid reason, Miyamoto thought it was a good idea to just take everything that the previous games established (partners, original enemy species, deep, story-driven plots, etc.) and just throw it out the window. It's already bad enough that the platformers are doing this, but now this is happening to the RPGs, too? Yeah, that about does it for me. I think I'm officially done with the series. Although, I do still have some hope for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. That seems like the series' only saving grace at this point, unless that game is also going to end up getting stripped of its creativity and freedom like all the other Mario games as of late.

Yeah this is pretty much the epitome of bullcrap.

Maybe its the factor that I expected an rpg, which I freaking love the genre, and now almost all elements are pretty much taking out in order to be as empty possible. I'll probably just watch videos to be sure if it even looks tolerable, but this is really really disappointing, so far 3ds ain't looking too hot.

I like watching one half of the people here talking about what to do in some levels and the others talking about how they hate the change and have given up on the series.

I can't wait to play it now because of all the hate.

Back