Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Roserade said:
Stop giving us hints! We want to figure the game out by ourselves!
Then don't look in this thread or click spoilers. Simple as that. :bowser:

How are the action commands any different when compared to the original and TTYD?

Can you throw stickers away?

Are there any fights you can't run away from?

The Little Traitor Dudes For Children's Defense said:
How are the action commands any different when compared to the original and TTYD?

Jumping's identical to PM in terms of control, the hammer flashes before you're supposed to press A, the Shell stickers work like jumping does, and Mario's hand flashes as Fire Mario or Ice Mario. Those are the ones for which I've consistently mastered the timing.
Can you throw stickers away?

Yes. You can also sell them for coins.
Are there any fights you can't run away from?
Bosses, I believe (I've only fought the first one) as well as any fight in which you screw up the run away command.

GameXplain had some valid reasons though, which they thought really ruined it. I wouldn't say they detract that much from it, but I haven't played it yet so ill wait and see.

From what I've seen of the game so far, I don't blame him. I'd say he's completely justified in giving it such a low rating. In my opinion, this game was a major disappointment. In fact, it (along with all the New Super Mario Bros. rehashes) has me on the verge of giving up on the series entirely.

Their facts and opinions are very valid. But giving a 2/5(40%), makes it seem god awful like the CDI games, they should have gave it like a 3/5, it's a rather bad MARIO game but still a very playable one.

Their facts and opinions are very valid. [...¸] [but] they should have gave it like

Ever wondered why the english video game press is deadly afraid of using the full extent of the grading scale? Well...

I've beaten Megasparkle Goomba. Jesus, he's pretty hard if you don't bring your Shiny stickers. And he's still hard even then!

Solar Blaze said:
From what I've seen of the game so far, I don't blame him. I'd say he's completely justified in giving it such a low rating. In my opinion, this game was a major disappointment. In fact, it (along with all the New Super Mario Bros. rehashes) has me on the verge of giving up on the series entirely.
Valid or not, you shouldn't base your purchase on one review score. That's dumb. I agree that NSMB2 was stupid and a waste of money, but this game is worth it, imho.

Anyways, I really like this game. It's actually a challenge instead of going and spamming Fiery Jinx or Multibonk or whatever kids spammed in the first two. I guess the limited stickers makes it more appealing. Also, this game seems a lot more puzzle oriented which is great, since I'm a huge fan of puzzles and puzzle-based games (i.e. Prof. Layton). I agree there is quite a bit of backtracking in some parts and it gets somewhat tedious, but all Paper Mario games had that.

Gir said:
I've beaten Megasparkle Goomba. Jesus, he's pretty hard if you don't bring your Shiny stickers. And he's still hard even then!

I was surprised he had 90 HP and like 5 ATK. They weren't messing around when they threw him at you.

Also:
Tower Power Pokey.

Holy. Shit.

I died on this asshole 5 times, two of which involved me losing all my stickers, with one of the fights taking 40 minutes before he started regaining HP. Seriously, this guy will mess you up fast. The only way I beat was by having Scissors to give him 20 damage + take out the first two Pokeys he spawns, 31 Flashy Jump Stickers, and 5 Flashy Slaphammers. Stock up on Flashy Slaphammers, they really help on this fight (12 damage if you manage an Excellent!). Oh yeah, and he has 300 HP and an attack that causes 7 damage and can momentarily paralyze you. Fun guy and great music.

Dusknoir said:
Valid or not, you shouldn't base your purchase on one review score. That's dumb. I agree that NSMB2 was stupid and a waste of money, but this game is worth it, imho.
That review has nothing to do with why I dislike the game. I'm not the kind of person to let video game reviews dictate whether or not a game is worth purchasing; I always use my own judgement. I've tried to be as open-minded about this game as I possibly could, but the more things I learned about it, and the more video footage I saw, I found myself getting less and less excited about it. This game, in my opinion, is an absolute slap in the face, due to the fact that they went out of their way to remove so many things that made the series so great in the first place (after they had originally presented the game as a welcome-back return to the original formula). It's like they've completely forgotten what this series is all about, and this is coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed Super Paper Mario (and has beaten it several times). Sticker Star doesn't even have half the charm that the first three Paper Mario games had.

ok ive almost beaten it but:
this game is a pile of shit i was fighting bowser in his final form and he burns away my fucking hammer page and now all i have left is fucking jump stickers fuck this bullshit god damn im so mad i cant do anything to him everytime i jump i take damage thats some shit game design

and message to gf:
use the bat didnt you see the baseball stadium field on the grouond and when you fight him it starts off with "play ball" instead of "fight"

Junko Enoshima said:
ok ive almost beaten it but:
this game is a pile of shit i was fighting bowser in his final form and he burns away my fucking hammer page and now all i have left is fucking jump stickers fuck this bullshit god damn im so mad i cant do anything to him everytime i jump i take damage thats some shit game design
hes a pro

Junko Enoshima said:
and message to gf:
use the bat didnt you see the baseball stadium field on the grouond and when you fight him it starts off with "play ball" instead of "fight"

Yeah, but I didn't know that lol. I guess that's why it was called a stadium for a reason. Still, I preferred actually having a challenge instead of using, like Bowser Jr even stated, "overpowered stickers". It makes for a long, but great fight when you finally beat it. Also, I don't like backtracking to get the bat again because after you use it, it disappears and you have to find it again.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/interview_the_team_behind_paper_mario_sticker_star

The Paper Mario series started when we introduced RPG elements as a means of differentiating the game from the platformer series. Through the inclusion of this story and the characters we wrote to fit that story, we ended up giving the game a unique character. However, for Sticker Star, Mr Miyamoto asked us to create a game using only characters already found in the Mario world rather and not any of our own. So instead of focusing our attention on the story or characters we focused instead on paper.
There you have it. This explains everything, actually. Earlier screenshots like this one clearly indicated that they were indeed planning on returning to the original formula, and yet, for some stupid reason, Miyamoto thought it was a good idea to just take everything that the previous games established (partners, original enemy species, deep, story-driven plots, etc.) and just throw it out the window. It's already bad enough that the platformers are doing this, but now this is happening to the RPGs, too? Yeah, that about does it for me. I think I'm officially done with the series. Although, I do still have some hope for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. That seems like the series' only saving grace at this point, unless that game is also going to end up getting stripped of its creativity and freedom like all the other Mario games as of late.

Dusknoir said:
Anyways, I really like this game. It's actually a challenge instead of going and spamming Fiery Jinx or Multibonk or whatever kids spammed in the first two. I guess the limited stickers makes it more appealing. Also, this game seems a lot more puzzle oriented which is great, since I'm a huge fan of puzzles and puzzle-based games (i.e. Prof. Layton). I agree there is quite a bit of backtracking in some parts and it gets somewhat tedious, but all Paper Mario games had that.

I like stumbling upon the different Things scattered throughout the world. It makes you wonder what sort of uses they'll have later on.

I jokingly decided to use random Things in this battle for the hell of it. Turns out the Sponge is the most overpowered thing ever. Not only will it fire back Gooper Blooper's poison at him, but it will blind him and continuously cause him 30 damage per turn for 4 turns. Oh also the Big Shiny Jump sticker deals 30 damage a use if you're good. He went down in about 5 turns.

With that said, I'm pretty sure there is a thing in World 4 that's effective against the World 4 boss and a thing in World 5 that's effective against the World 5 boss, since it seems that the Things that are effective in these battles are found in the same world.

Yoshidude99 said:
Well everyone moaned that Bowser wasn't the main antagonist in TTYD and SPM.
UH, so that's why Sticker Star's prologue wasn't appealing at all, if it's almost same with SMB.

I wonder if its story better than the prevous ones. I didn't see many spoilers, but generally there seems no new characters/villians or returning partners/main characters (Birdo?). Or is there actually no story?

Oh, wonderful. Unless I'm wrong,

Drybake Stadium forces you to find the ruin level's secret exit.

Gir said:
Oh, wonderful. Unless I'm wrong,

Drybake Stadium forces you to find the ruin level's secret exit.

Yep.

New Super Mario said:
So, would you say it's worth buying?

I mean, I liked the other three games.

I'd say so.

I just got the game and I'm in World 2, but I'm really enjoying it. I don't see the point of getting upset just because it didn't follow the same kind of formula as the first two. I loved loved LOVED SPM too.

Back