Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a good game.

Shy​ Guy said:

I wouldn't call it a bad game, it would have been better if the other entries didn't exist. The game just doesn't stand out for what it's worth.

Like Galaxy 2.

Baby Man said:
I wouldn't call it a bad game, it would have been better if the other entries didn't exist. The game just doesn't stand out for what it's worth.

Like Galaxy 2.

Yup.
Galaxy 2 was a disappointment, alright

Baby Man said:
Shy​ Guy said:

Like Galaxy 2.
The difference is, Galaxy is a far more hyped-for series than NSMB, which is why people were excited and hyped for Galaxy 2 (and it satisfied IMO) The only NSMB game that innovated from the previous one as much as Galaxy 2 was Wii. U barely had more content than Wii, and 2 was a huge step down.

Well I feel that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is about as soulless as New Super Mario Bros. 2 relatively speaking. Super Mario Galaxy had the charm (and tehh scientific inaccuracies I just absolutely love pointing out to exercise my astronomical knowledge but I digress) and the "WOAH MAN MARIO IS IN SPACE!?!?" thing. Super Mario Galaxy 2 feels like a revisit to the exact thing: basically a second/third/whatever impression which doesn't strike you in the same way Galaxy does.

Overhyped things DO lead to great disappointment though. Just ask Duke Nukem Forever, Spore, Daikatana, Super Smash Bros. Brawl + many other games with this unfortunate fate. I personally think Galaxy is way overhyped in general and people trumpet it as the best Mario game ever....even going far as "the best game of all time" (it's like saying coconuts are the best fruit ever in a diverse world of fruits where they all have varying, different types of nutrition) while ignoring the fact that other Mario games excel at areas people may find more enjoyment in where Galaxy staggers. An example is the linear gameplay, which is a departure from Sunshine and 64. Some people, like me, enjoy traversing the worlds in those games instead of rock-hopping across planetoids. Others like 2D platforming more than 3D platforming.

Me? I personally prefer New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U to Super Mario Galaxy and 2. It's obviously because they offer a much more enjoyable multiplayer in an environment where I have a constant friend who shares nearly the same interests as me.

I really wanted to like Galaxy 2. It's not like I hated it from the start (well I sorta did since the presentation is exactly like the first). But when Galaxy 2 felt like a soulless experience I had already been there, done that, I had no choice but to react negatively on it.

Galaxy 2 was a damn fine game.
But that's all it was, a damn fine game.

In comparison to the first one, which was a shining star (hehheh) in the seething mass of Wii games (which, at that time was full of weird third-party's).

2 lacked the character-instead of Rosalina and her heart-achingly sad storybook we got some fat Luma with no backstory I can remember.
It lacked the grandness-2's world map made the game feel smaller, in that the galaxies were tiny pieces instead of what they were in 1, which was great worlds ready to be explored and conquered.
And it didn't have most of the difficulty either-most of 2's hardness came from the green stars, which compared to 1's were still pretty simple.

I disliked the green stars. They felt like a ----ty hide and seek game rather than a true challenge. It's not as bad as "complete the game again but as Luigi" though (in fact, my sister and I liked the idea: my sister did a first playthrough as Mario, I did the second as Luigi. Genius idea for twins like me).

Don't get me started on The Pile of Crap Run.

IcicleRain said:
Galaxy 2 was a dang fine game.
But that's all it was, a dang fine game.

In comparison to the first one, which was a shining star (hehheh) in the seething mass of Wii games (which, at that time was full of weird third-party's).

2 lacked the character-instead of Rosalina and her heart-achingly sad storybook we got some fat Luma with no backstory I can remember.
It lacked the grandness-2's world map made the game feel smaller, in that the galaxies were tiny pieces instead of what they were in 1, which was great worlds ready to be explored and conquered.
And it didn't have most of the difficulty either-most of 2's hardness came from the green stars, which compared to 1's were still pretty simple.

Well to be fair in galaxy 2 we already knew Rosalina's backstory so there wasn't much need for it. And had Lubba had something similar it would have felt pretty been there done that.

Really my opinion on Galaxy 2 is this, its an extension of Galaxy but I personally feel it brings enough different and new things to warrant its existence.

If I were to say something major about Galaxy 2 its this.

Its final boss SUCKED.

Oh my god it sucked.

Mcmadness said:
If I were to say something major about Galaxy 2 its this.

Its final boss SUCKED.

Oh my god it sucked.

Everyone says that

I know, just felt like ranting.

Actually I think the final boss is the only place where 2 outdid 1
The planets were really cool compared to the dull glass of Galaxy

IcicleRain said:
You mean whacking him with the mini-planets?

I enjoyed that.

But he doesn't do ANYTHING but try to punch you, and odds are he'll be beaten before landing a sinlgle hit.

In fairness blandness is a problem with a lot of sequels in any format (games, movies)
Especially in cases where they barely added anything new-2 gave us, what, 3 new powerups?
Heck, even the world/level design wasn't as good in most places.

Galaxy 2 is just as good as Galaxy 1. Each of the games have strenghs over the other:

Galaxy: Soundtrack slightly better, better map, better story.
Galaxy 2: Galaxies slightly better, yoshi, more powerups, harder, longer to 100%.

Combine them and you have a perfect game.

Cirdec said:
Galaxy 2 is just as good as Galaxy 1. Each of the games have strenghs over the other:

Galaxy: Soundtrack slightly better, better map, better story.
Galaxy 2: Galaxies slightly better, yoshi, more powerups, harder, longer to 100%.

Combine them and you have a perfect game.

Hmmm
Hurgghhh
I just don't agree with this.
Also, since when did Yoshi become a factor in how good a game is
By that logic Rosalina should be a factor in Galaxy's list

Back