Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Luigi X Peasley >>>> Luigi X Daisy

Mario x Luigi best ship

ThatGuy62 said:
Despite what some people may think, sticking to the established characters isn't a bad idea.

The notion that a character is good just because it's "original" is absurd.

ThatGuy62 said:
Despite what some people may think, sticking to the established characters isn't a bad idea. In fact, it would be pretty cool if they added more elements of the subseries in the RPGs (like Wario Land/Warioware and Donkey Kong Country).
At this point, I don't think it's even possible to make a new species or enemy without retreading on old ground (in fact (Fwoosh), they've already done that (Foo)).

Mcmadness said:
ThatGuy62 said:
Despite what some people may think, sticking to the established characters isn't a bad idea.

The notion that a character is good just because it's "original" is absurd.
I'm not totally against OCs and they can be good characters, but I agree it sometimes feels like people are biased against established characters.
Which is a shame because the RPGs are the biggest chance of fleshing out the characters and you can actually get mileage out of them if you use them well. Luigi Peach and Bowser are prime examples and Junior and the Koopalings have been portrayed pretty well too. Imagine what it would be like to have Daisy or Waluigi show up and get actual development. And, though this is more of a pipe dream, imagine if they get obscure and bring in someone like Captain Syrup?

I understand some of this but I also think it goes both ways, the RPGs shouldn't be banned from introducing mainstays either. There should be balance.

RPGs have a nice shot but they aren't the best shot, ESPECIALLY for Mario. IMO Bowser is at his best in the mainstream games and Mario Party, Luigi's from Luigi's Mansion. Peach, I guess the RPGs work best for her. Mario relies on other spinoff games such as Fortune Street (I think it's overall the best game for character personality though Mario Strikers and the Camelot Mario Tennis / Golf games aren't far behind). Otherwise, I see what you mean and I think Captain Syrup, Queen Merelda, the WarioWare characters, Donkey Kong Country characters deserve to have a shot in the MaRPG games especially Mario & Luigi which gave us Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Bowser, and even meshing with Paper Mario.

Though technically, we got Waluigi and Wario in an RPG game now, but not directly. It's a new RPG game, but still.

The rpgs aren't singled out. Like 90% of the stuff in this franchise they just don't re-use much.

They should rather than making up new crap that will be forgotten by the next game.

Then people will accuse them of being lazy and "playing it safe"

I don't think anyone here will be opposed to seeing Wario and Waluigi being a boss fight or level where Foreman Spike appears as a boss.

People will complain about excessive fan service.

People will complain about anything so who cares

And this is why I don't care if characters are "original" or re-used. Just as long as they are actually worth a shit.

tbh I'd like to see the glorious return of Pionpis, because we need more video games with Chinese zombies in them.

I think the RPGs are in a bit of a weird spot since most of the stuff introduced is usually made for a single game, so there's questions about context. On the other, the RPGs have had an light influence on the series ranging from subtle (the Dark Bones color for Dry Bones in Superstar Baseball) to not (the Star Spirits as the hosts of Mario Party 6) and some of the characters would make cool Mario Kart characters (I mean, we already have Link and Animal Crossing characters, so might as well).
Moreover, I want the RPGs to go back to being a mix of elements like the original Paper Mario was (with stuff like Lavalava island being heavily inspired by Yoshi's Island). Minion Quest is a step in the right direction, but I want to see some Wario and DK series shenanigans too.

Baby Luigi said:
tbh I'd like to see the glorious return of Pionpis, because we need more video games with Chinese zombies in them.

You know back when I played that on the gameboy pocket I could never quite make out what they were and due to the blurry graphics their outstretched arms looked like hands with knives so I thought they were these guys trying to shank Mario.

If we had a level with Chinese zombies with knives for hands trying to shank Mario I'd definitely play that game just to play that level they appear in.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

You know back when I played that on the gameboy pocket I could never quite make out what they were and due to the blurry graphics their outstretched arms looked like hands with knives so I thought they were these guys trying to shank Mario.
Sometimes, the best solution is the simplest.

ThatGuy62 said:
Also, Paper Jam (and possibly Bowser's Minions when it comes out) is currently the high point of the Koopalings. I didn't like their portrayal in Color Splash for the most part (particularly Lemmy and Morton).
Now this unpopular opinion is shared by two people. So glad to see the Koopalings talking to each other and Morton speaking properly again in the trailer of Minion Quest.

I want the Koopa Kids to come back to add even more confusion with Bowser Jr. and Baby Bowser.

Baby Luigi said:
All the Sarasaland species. Maybe with better localized names.

I want Koopa Kids to come back. They were Mario Party staples and they're pretty much in the same vein as MaRPG OCs but they had more of presence. They just suddenly vanished, probably because Bowser Jr. is here, but I don't think they can be entirely replaced by Bowser Jr. Sure, Bowser has a ton of henchmen, but...

Trunks Mario said:
I want Koopa Kids to come back. They were Mario Party staples and they're pretty much in the same vein as MaRPG OCs but they had more of presence. They just suddenly vanished, probably because Bowser Jr. is here, but I don't think they can be entirely replaced by Bowser Jr. Sure, Bowser has a ton of henchmen, but...
Outside of being Bowser's sidekicks, they aren't quite comparable. The Baby Bowsers/Koopa Kids functioned more as general henchmen for Bowser (hence why there tends to be more that one in certain games). As far as actual role in the game Junior ironically functions more like his father's space from MP5-MP7 while Koopa Kid's space in Mario Party 7 functions more like Bowser's space did during the N64/newer era.
I like Junior, but Koopa Kid had a bit more versatility.

I couldn't give less of a fuck about koopa kids personally.

Back