Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Airship Fortress is cool and all but I prefer Waluigi Pinball. That would've looked gorgeous in MK8.

Baby Luigi said:
Well maybe, because I fail to see how Double Dash succeeds at ANYTHING other than cooperative play and maybe special items.
Most enjoyable tracks (followed by DS and 8), stellar Battle Mode, 20 playable characters, 21 karts, first game to have unlockables aside from Special Cup and Mirror Mode, music, visuals (or at least the art style), what you said, LAN play, and the general charm. If you really want a good complaint from me, I still don't like the drifting too much.

They should bring back victory champagne.

NO!

IT MUST BE BASIC AWARDS SCREEN AND YOUTUBE MONTAGE

Lumastar said:
Baby Luigi said:
Well maybe, because I fail to see how Double Dash succeeds at ANYTHING other than cooperative play and maybe special items.
Most enjoyable tracks (followed by DS and 8), stellar Battle Mode, 20 playable characters, 21 karts, first game to have unlockables aside from Special Cup and Mirror Mode, music, visuals (or at least the art style), what you said, LAN play, and the general charm. If you really want a good complaint from me, I still don't like the drifting too much.

1. The tracks are boring 90% of the time, plus the track selection is lacking compared to later Mario Karts
2. The battle mode is laughably outdated without bot support
3. 20 characters, surpassed by Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8 with 24 and 30 characters respectively
4. 21 karts, which is a heavily restricted kart selection and also outclassed by the further customization the later games does
5. Um, so...?
6. General charm....like all Mario Kart games.

I'm sorry, everything Double Dash does is either outdated or later Mario Karts have vastly improved gameplay mechanics

By the way, visuals should be a point AGAINST Mario Kart Double Dash, since the graphics are awful even for GCN standards.

Best thing about DD was it's roster.

Possibly but even so I think Mario Kart Wii outclasses it.

Sorry I don't care about Petey Piranha enough to take a point though the lack of Paratroopa is a bit concerning.

Bowser Jr. Toadette, King Boo, Petey Pirahna and Paratroopa, some of my top mains in the entire series all made their debut in DD. Too bad all of them except Toadette were cut by MK8. MK is very terrible towards my mains actually.

I'll never have to worry about my main getting cut. :P

Mcmadness said:
I'll never have to worry about my main getting cut. :P
Cool! Me neither. That means I have the freedom focus on the gameplay aspect without worrying too much about the roster.

I hate you two.

A lot.

Block Fort is possibly the most overrated battle course in existence. I may be the only one who actually sorta hates it. It's not as bad as Tart Top or any of the Mario Kart 8 race courses but I think it's still a pretty awful course. It's basically camp heaven where people would want to go on top of the battle course, hide, and throw shells down everywhere on the bottom in hopes of getting anyone unlucky. It's a pain in the ass trying to actually get anyone in this course. The size and navigation is also a pain in the ass.

I actually think battle mode is overrated in general but I know why people like it and I'd never dream of demanding it's removal.

I really don't think it's overrated but people tend to vastly overhate it in Mario Kart 8. It's not THAT bad in Mario Kart 8. At least it has bots....

Mario Kart DS has the best battle mode of all the Mario Karts. You have bots, and you can have it be until last man standing. Meaning CPUs don't respawn when they lose all their balloons and you can search, hunt, and destroy them without feeling rushed. You can even play with others or on teams.

Well if someone were to ask me ''do you want battle mode or a mission/adventure mode'' I'd take the latter.

Mind you they could easily fit both in.

Rayquaza said:
Mario Kart DS has the best battle mode of all the Mario Karts. You have bots, and you can have it be until last man standing. Meaning CPUs don't respawn when they lose all their balloons and you can search, hunt, and destroy them without feeling rushed. You can even play with others or on teams.

These days I actually prefer points because I personally find it hilarious to deny Wario points and chase him down for the majority of the match. In Mario Kart 7, I think I killed him 7 times (I had 21 points solely from getting him).

Though I do miss the survival-in-arenas concept, I sorely think that they should include both survival and points based combat.

The main reason I don't like survival as much is that sometimes you can get unlucky and lose all of your balloons in one go whereas in points you respawn therefore getting another chance.

Rayquaza said:
I think the survival mode just ultimately drags the battle, but again, we could have an option for both. You know, like in Smash Bros. But survival is a lot of driving and praying not to get hit by triple items where if you respawn, you have a chance of reclaiming your points.

Back