Big change coming to Super Smahs Bros. 3DS Wii U?

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Not sure if this counts as news or not, but Masahiro Sakurai wants to do something different from this new game. He doesn't want to just make a "bigger" Smash Bros. with new characters and stages, he wants something different. He hasn't exactly found that "hook" yet, though. More info:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1223770p1.html

That's Sakurai to you. Always trying to find ideas to make games different.

I hope this change is a good thing, though.

I think one major detail he's definitely going to implement is dual support between the 3DS and Wii U.

I think it'll be kinda like what MK7 did with mario Kart. It'll borrow several elements from the predecessors, take them together and make them feel new. It'll refign the series but not comepltly reboot it. SSB4 will make severel changes, but still feel the smae.

Smashgoom202 said:
I think one major detail he's definitely going to implement is dual support between the 3DS and Wii U.

That's precisely what it is.

I kinda hope that it's something like the Roster Size thing I made a thread for here. Limited but Interchangeable on the 3DS. Full Roster for the Wii U plus an incentive of owning both versions being that you get characters that could only be playable on the Wii U version if you connect the 3DS one to said Wii U version.

Though if the connectivity between the 2 versions is going to be the big thing. It's possible that they'll sell the Wii U and the 3DS versions in one pack.

my reputable insider source told me it means traditional fighting game controls, no items or stage hazard and focus on tournament play. Tripping will be carried over, though.

Gardevoir said:
This is so obvious its a 3D smash bros XD

Before i knew what was smash bros and my friend was telling me about it, i was thinking that you could move around in 3D environments..

Eh, extremely unlikely. Not obvious at all.

Smashgoom202 said:

That's probably the obvious and most likely one

RandomGuy said:
I wonder what the touch screen will do
I have a feeling it'll help you with Final Smash's, probably allowing you to draw slices for Link's Final Smash for example, or click points for where Snake's mini-nukes launch for his Final Smash.

Smashgoom202 said:

Indeed, this does sound inevitable! Sakurai does seem to be the type of person who thrives in making new creations as seen from his previous works. I guess it might be this type of change that has caused him to gain inspiration in making another Smash Bros. game (considering that he was originally going on about Brawl being the final game in the series originally).

As Baby Luigi said earlier, let us hope that this is a good change (though most of what Sakurai presents to us are already very satisfying indeed). I'm sure that whatever he has in his mind this time must be something good. :)

Professor Mario said:
RandomGuy said:
I wonder what the touch screen will do
I have a feeling it'll help you with Final Smash's, probably allowing you to draw slices for Link's Final Smash for example, or click points for where Snake's mini-nukes launch for his Final Smash.

Hm, this does seem possible especially if more strategy were to be used upon enhancing the Final Smashes and various moves of the playable characters. Final Smashes really do not require a lot of strategic work to pull off with most characters, so this could be a way to balancing a lot of them if needed.

We should move the percents down onto the touch screen and I'd prefer 3D envioronments on the Wii U

RandomGuy said:
We should move the percents down onto the touch screen and I'd prefer 3D envioronments on the Wii U
What do you mean by 3D enviornments? If you mean 3D as in a 3-dimensional fighter like Dead or Alive, then I completely disagree.I would prefer it to stay completely 2D.

Back