PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

I don't see why they are trying to parody this game. They could have just came up with their own fighting game engine. It seems that the only fighting game engines used out there are 2. One that is used for super smash bros and another that is used for games like street fighter and mortal combat.

Also yes, I said parody because that is the actual word for what this game is. "Rip-off" is not the correct term. "Rip-off" is means a product that is not worth the price it currently is. The actual word is "spin-off" which is a synonym for parody. It also means an untraditional genre of a game in a game in a franchise (example: If a game like zelda had a party game or puzzle game). This game may have the same modes and engine as super smash bros, but it has different stages and characters which makes it a parody.

Here is my definition of parody
Parody
An imitation of an original work, usually to pay tribute to or expose the author's inspiration from the original work.

Parody can come in many different ways. Parody can vary from coping the genre of the original work, giving the same feel, mood or appearance of the original work or absolutely coping the original work and adding your own original touches to it

I can't tell if you're here to talk about the game or you just want to tell people you know what the word parody means.

Crackin355 said:
I can't tell if you're here to talk about the game or you just want to tell people you know what the word parody means.
I am trying to let people know the correct term of what this game is because people usually say rip-off when the actual word is parody or spin-off.

Anyway, it still is a copy of the same game. It sort of reminds me of super mario bros. all night nippon. It's a spin-off of super mario bros. because it features different graphics and stuff like that.

chillv said:
Anyway, it still is a copy of the same game

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to say, are you sayign PS:ASBR is a copy of another game?

If you just another fucking nintendo-fanyboy who hasn't even played the game.

Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to say, are you sayign PS:ASBR is a copy of another game?

If you just another *bleep*ing nintendo-fanyboy who hasn't even played the game.
I am not a fanboy but I will say that it does copy a lot from the game and it can not be considered and absolute original work unless it has something in it that makes it different from the game like adding stuff that the game doesn't have or making the gameplay a little different. What I meant was that it is still a copy of the same game engine.

chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

If you just another *bleep*ing nintendo-fanyboy who hasn't even played the game.
I am not a fanboy but I will say that it does copy a lot from the game and it can not be considered and absolute original work unless it has something in it that makes it different from the game like adding stuff that the game doesn't have or making the gameplay a little different. What I meant was that it is still a copy of the same game engine.

Can i ask one question: Have you even played the game?

Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

No, but I do want to play cartoon network punch time explosion XL for the wii. This game looks uninteresting to me mostly because of it's character selection. I don't know anything about most of these characters. Also, I do not own a PS Vita nor do I plan on getting one. I do support other companies though so I am not a fanboy. Here are a list of companies I support.

Data Design Interactive (guilty pleasure)
Sega
Nintendo
Sony
Majesco
Namco
EA
Disney

Here are a list of franchises I play

Mario Kart
Super Monkey Ball
Super Smash Bros
Wario Ware
Taito Minigame Collections
Kirby
Animal Crossing
Rhythm Heaven
Sonic
Metroid
Cooking Mama
Sims
101 in 1
Family Party
Luigi's Mansion
Mario
F-Zero
Ape Escape

Yeah, there are a lot of nintendo games on the list but that was the main company I grew up with but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy because I will be comfortable with change in these series and I do play other games other than nintendo. The reason why I support that company and sega so much is because they are the two companies that got me hooked on video games in the first place.

chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

No

then don't start talking about it as if you have

Amelia said:
chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

No

then don't start talking about it as if you have
I wasn't, but I have seen a lot of gameplay of it.

The Dark Knight said:
You can't judge everything from watching gameplay. That's why lots of good games are underrated.
Okay then, tell me all of the modes in this game. I will evaluate if they are original or not.

chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:
Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

No

Then, no offense intended, shut the fuck up.

You are just being like every nintendo-fanboy who don't like the game saying it is a copy, or a rip-off or whatever despite the fact they haven't even played it.

PS:ASBR may have a extremely similar concept to SSBB, but they means nothing. Assassin's Creed and Dishonored have similar concepts is Dishonored a copy or "parody" of Assassin's Creed. (Bad example i know, but first thing i thought)

The game may not be be perfect, they could have a done quite a few things better but it is in no way a copy, the way you play the game is much different, and the most important part, the goal of the battles are much different.

it can not be considered and absolute original work unless it has something in it that makes it different from the game like adding stuff that the game doesn't have or making the gameplay a little different.
This just proves you know nothing about the game, the gameplay is "a little different" and "it has something in it that makes it different like adding stuff that the game doesn have".

Like i said, the game isn't perfect and i think they should have put more work into it, i'm not a fanboy but the game is fun, it isn't a copy and the fucking fanboys who call it a rip-off, a copy, or a parody without even playing the goddamn game piss me off..

chillv said:
The Dark Knight said:
You can't judge everything from watching gameplay. That's why lots of good games are underrated.
Okay then, tell me all of the modes in this game. I will evaluate if they are original or not.

I'm sorry for doubling posting but i need a whole other post to respond to this:

What in the fuck do the modes matter?. The modes are like every other fighting game in existence pretty much. A "Story mode" which is basically just fight stuff with random conversation shoved in a couple of fights and a final boss, multiplayer and a basic versus mode.

What does that sound like? EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME.

Modes don't make a game original, otherwise every single-player game in existence would be unoriginal for having a single-player mode.

What makes the game original are the fights, the goal of the fight isn't to get their HP to 0, to lower a life bar to smash them out of the stage it is to beat them up, gain power and kill them with a uber-powerful attack.

Um, okay. I will admit that I have never played the game. From what I see, what makes it different from smash bros is that instead of beating your opponent until they take enough damage so you can knock them off stage, you gain some kind of energy by hitting your opponents to do a super move which is original. The fighting style and control is still a copy. The items and stages are also original and interesting also.

Like I said, it is a parody of the game. It takes the fighing style and changes the rules and even gives original items and stages.

chillv said:
However, you can not say that the game is no inspired by smash bros.

That is true but a lot of things are inspired by other things. That doesn't make them any less original.

Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:
However, you can not say that the game is no inspired by smash bros.

That is true but a lot of things are inspired by other things. That doesn't make them any less original.
read it again, I edited it before you posted.

Also, I will verify that I am not a nintendo fanboy nor do I act like one.

Heres one to prove it.

Here is my comparison of Mario Kart 7 and Sega All Stars Racing Transformed.

Mario Kart 7's has flying sections however, they are only hangliding sections therefore you only will be in the air for a short amount of time. In sega all-stars transformed, your car turns into a plane which as a result allows you to have more control and you actually are racing in the air. In mario kart 7, you race underwater which makes you stay in the air longer if you drive up a lump or cliff. In sega all-stars racing, your car turns into a boat and you drive underwater and you can catch waves and do tricks. Sega all-stars racing is also more speedier that mario kart. The items aren't really original nor are there a lot of them. Because of this, the race takes more skill than just throwing items at people.

chillv said:
Like I said, it is a parody of the game. It takes the fighing style and changes the rules and even gives original items and stages.

You don't get it do you.

So by your logic. Mortal Kombat is a parody of Street Fighter?

Also by that logic, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is a parody of Mario Kart. All RPG games must be a parody of SMRPG as well right?

COD, Bioshock, Battelfield, Mass Effect, every other shooting game, they must all be parodies of Wolftenstein 3D as well.

That is your logic right now. Because the only thing similar between SB and All-star is the fact they are fighting game with character from the respective companies' games.

I don't care about your opinion on MK7 and Sega Racing Stuff, you being just like a Nintendo fanboy right now. You are accusing this game of being a copy despite the fact you have never played it.

So by your logic. Mortal Kombat is a parody of Street Fighter?
Mortal Kombat is different from street fighter because it is more gory compared to street fighter which is more like martial arts. It also has a few monsters and as characters and people whereas streetfighter has... well... just people and a few creatures that can't be considered monsters. The only thing that they have in common is that they have a health bar which is really not saying much since most fighting games have a health bar.

Also by that logic, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is a parody of Mario Kart. All RPG games must be a parody of SMRPG as well right?

Actually, sega allstars racing is different from mario kart because it does not rely solely on items plus it has a different pace in speed than mario kart. Making it not a parody.

COD, Bioshock, Battelfield, Mass Effect, every other shooting game, they must all be parodies of Wolftenstein 3D as well.

None of those games are copies of each other nor are they parodies of wolfenstein 3d. COD and battlefield are more war-like shooting video games and I can see the difference between them. I have no idea what mass effect is or bioshock but I have seen it before and the are different from each other. Wolfenstein 3D is more of a maze game mixed with shooting.

That is your logic right now. Because the only thing similar between SB and All-star is the fact they are fighting game with character from the respective companies' games.

Actually, I said they have the same fighting style. However, their gameplay and rules are different which make them both original and different.

I don't care about your opinion on MK7 and Sega Racing Stuff, you being just like a Nintendo fanboy right now. You are accusing this game of being a copy despite the fact you have never played it.
No I am not, I am saying that they took the fighting style and turned it into something original. It's like when you take a jacket that you bought from the store and add your own fabrics and designs to it. That makes it original. Maybe "copy" wouldn't be the correct term because your not getting what im trying to say either. Heres a summary.

The game has different rules and gamepaly and it has items the smash bros doesn't have. The stages are also different from how smash bros. stages are. The game is not a copy of the game but they are very similar to each other because of the fighting style and how you get knocked into the air or walls when hit however, they do not give the same experience.

chillv said:
The game has different rules and gamepaly and it has items the smash bros doesn't have. The stages are also different from how smash bros. stages are. The game is not a copy of the game but they are very similar to each other because of the fighting style and how you get knocked into the air or walls when hit however, they do not give the same experience.

Exactly, then why do you keep calling it a copy?

Garrus Vakarian said:
chillv said:

Exactly, then why do you keep calling it a copy?
I didn't call the game a copy, I said the fighting style is a copy. Two different things, the game itself is original because it is not just about knocking the opponent off the screen or beating them until their health is gone. It also has a feature in the game called the "super gauge" or something that lets you do powerful damage. A feature that smash bros does not have. The stages seems to vary between one room to a stage that scrolls depending on where the players are.

Please stop this nonsense at once. Settle this in a PM, but don't continue the argument in this thread.

Looker said:
Please stop this nonsense at once. Settle this in a PM, but don't continue the argument in this thread.
It wasn't really an argument, he just misunderstood what I said.

chillv said:
It also has a feature in the game called the "super gauge" or something that lets you do powerful damage.

It is funny how you don't even know how the game works.

The "Super Gauge" is the base of the entire game. You fight your opponent to build up this gauge which as you build it up lets you do really powerful attacks. These attacks are the only way to kill the opponent and are the only way to get points.

And why would you say that the fighting style is similar, you have never played the game. What exactly do you mean by fighting style anyway?

Also the fact that you deny the obvious fanboyism is hilarious.

@Gamefreak: So i'm not allowed to discuss a game with another member on a topic about the game in question? This folks is why i rarely spend time on these sections of the forum.

Garrus Vakarian said:
@Gamefreak: So i'm not allowed to discuss a game with another member on a topic about the game in question? This folks is why i rarely spend time on these sections of the forum.

I don't see a discussion, just two people bickering over a game.

I appreciate the fact that neither of you have resorted to name-calling and the likes, but don't you think that more than a page of arguing, let alone the same two people, is a bit overdoing it? If chillv doesn't want to agree with you, then that's fine. There's no reason for this argument to continue.

Like I said, if you're still not satisfied with the outcome, you can always PM the person in a respectful manner.

It is funny how you don't even know how the game works.
I do, the game is based more on filling up your super gauge so you can unleash a powerful attacks than just knocking them off stage.

The "Super Gauge" is the base of the entire game. You fight your opponent to build up this gauge which as you build it up lets you do really powerful attacks. These attacks are the only way to kill the opponent and are the only way to get points.
I knew that, I mentioned that already. I just gave a summary. (-__-)

And why would you say that the fighting style is similar, you have never played the game. What exactly do you mean by fighting style anyway?

I'm saying that because in both of them, you get knocked into the air or walls when hit. Plus, the fighting has similar controls. I have played a demo at gamestop (for only a few seconds) and the controls look similar to smash bros. They aren't like street fighter or mortal kombat.

Also the fact that you deny the obvious fanboyism is hilarious.

You don't know me and even if you do, you have no call me a fanboy nor do you have the right to compare me to one or say that I have any traits they have.

Back