What do people don't like about Donkey Kong 64?

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
I love it I miss when games like this existed. I have heard lots of hardcore donkey kong fans despise DK64 for it being too far of a depature from the original Donkey Kong Country series. How? How do you compare 2D platformers to a a 3D free-roaming game? How could it have been anymore like Donkey Kong Country than it already was? How was it in anyway a departure? You could argue Donkey Kong 64 was more like Donkey Kong Country series than Super Mario 64 was like the Super Mario Bros. series!

I wish more people could appreciate how great it was, how awesome the 101% ending was. I know some people don't like that it forced you to beat the Donkey Kong Arcade, but seriously so what. It wasn't hard. It was only 4 levels, and the easiest of which was the final one with the rivets. God forbid they make one small requirement.

The deal is not that it's a bad game, just that it's so completely different.

People are usually more likely to agree and embrace the change if it is a great game, as happened with DK64 and Super Mario 64. I haven't heard many complaints about those.

However, if the different game is just okay, then the fans are more likely to be upset. Prime example? Super Paper Mario.

Dr. Javelin said:
The deal is not that it's a bad game, just that it's so completely different.

People are usually more likely to agree and embrace the change if it is a great game, as happened with DK64 and Super Mario 64. I haven't heard many complaints about those.

However, if the different game is just okay, then the fans are more likely to be upset. Prime example? Super Paper Mario.
I don't get why SPM has so much haters. It's a pretty solid sequel. It's not as good as the original two, but it doesn't dissapoint. Sometimes the change can be even more radically different, like Resident Evil IV. But it was so damn good, haters of that were just told to STFU. But the people who like the original Res Evil forumla remains still.

The problem with SPM was not that it was different, and not that it was a bad game, it was that it was not as good because it didn't have the same elements. It was a fair platformer, but that's not what the fans were looking for in their favorite series.

Dr. Javelin said:
The problem with SPM was not that it was different, and not that it was a bad game, it was that it was not as good because it didn't have the same elements. It was a fair platformer, but that's not what the fans were looking for in their favorite series.
It had it's share of RPG elements, it just wasn't turn-based. You could say it was a marriage of SMB and Paper Mario.

^Hence the name (and it was turn-based, if only for the Underchomp).

K. Rool's voice sounded way too menacing for an E rated game. At least voice acting was only applied to "1" cinema.

MnSG said:
K. Rool's voice sounded way too menacing for an E rated game.
Yeah, because we know how concerned parents are about creepy voices.

It's a cartoon game for heaven's sake, with no blood and no language. An E rating certainly applies.

Dr. Javelin said:
MnSG said:

It's a cartoon game for heaven's sake, with no blood and no language. An E rating certainly applies.

Unless you count "Hell" (which I personally don't)

BTW, Donkey Kong 64 is an awesome game. How can some people hate it?

Dr. Javelin said:
MnSG said:

Besides, K. Rool turns into comic relief later.

I love the way he sounded in the game, but I wonder how he was talking without his lips moving.

EDIT: And why was his voice only heard the first time he was seen? Was it considered scary enough where they could only get away with using it once?

Anyway... I wish there is a sequel to that game or something.... but I like original games.

Did anyone else not beat that beatle on the slide in angry aztec on the first try?

Dk64 was my childhood but my complaint is about the minigames.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Did anyone else not beat that beatle on the slide in angry aztec on the first try?
The beetle...

THE BEETLE...

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THAT

Really, he's a lot harder in Angry Aztec than in Crystal Caverns, imo.

Only problem I saw was that the game was a massive collecting game.

Other then that it was pretty good. Better than the platformers.

The miningame involving the Klaptrap chasing the Gnawties is annoying :mad:

Back