Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
I find this situation, the Glitches, similar to the Beta Elements topic proposed right now. They're both a mess currently, they're both seriously disorganized, and they both have ways to make the mess a little cleaner than it is now. I mean, different types of glitches are all over place. I know they're alphabetized, but every single glitch has a conjecture name and it's extremely difficult to navigate through this jungle.

Here are the ways I would like to clean up the glitch pages, which, similar to what is being proposed in Beta Elements, placing some specific glitches into categories:

Graphical Glitches
Basically any texturing errors, sprite errors, animation errors, etc.

Example: Baby Mario's textures from Mario Kart Double Dash

Physics Glitches
Errors caused by improper debugging of the game physics

Example: Black Hole Glitch in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Maka Wuhu glitch, Grumble Volcano glitch

Audio Glitches
Errors caused by wrong audio or sound in the game

Example: Wrong music in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

Freezing
These are not exactly physics, audio, or graphical, but when something specific occurs, it can cause a game to simply freeze spot on. I'm not sure if Mario games have any sort of stuff like that, but it may and this is just in case.

Other
Any other glitches that do not quite fit in the other categories

Any suggestions? I hope this will help improve the situation the glitch pages has.

Seems pretty good but I'm not quite sure about some of the glitches that would fit under more than one category, like Mega Mario Throught the City in Super Paper Mario for example, which fits under both Physics and Freezing.

SKmarioman said:
Seems pretty good but I'm not quite sure about some of the glitches that would fit under more than one category, like Mega Mario Throught the City in Super Paper Mario for example, which fits under both Physics and Freezing.

That would fit under physics

There are some scenarios where if you just try to access a menu or something, the game freezes. No audio, no graphical, no physics, just a freeze. I should maybe describe it better because there are some physics glitches that do cause freezing, but there are other glitches out there that just freeze spot on, such as selecting a particular stage. I'm not sure if Mario has any sort of glitch like that (the Super Mario Team are pretty good debuggers) but I'm just making sure.

The proposed categories sound good.

On another note: Though I don't know how prevalent it is (only checked a few pages), glitches can be caused solely by problems with the physical media (dirty contacts on cartridges, scratched discs, that kind of stuff) and not an inherent flaw in the game's code. Those kind of situations shouldn't be listed in my opinion, as they're not replicable. Verifying wheter something is the result of damaged media or problems in the code can be done by trying to replicate the glitch on at least two physical copies on different consoles (or barring that, comparing with an emulator, but emulators alone shouldn't be used to establish a glitch because there's the potential issue that a glitch might be caused by imperfect emulation or a bad dump and words words words words).

anyway, good idea.

^So, if a glitch occurred in one disc, would that count as a glitch? I have two glitches in Mario Power Tennis that seems to be exclusive to my copy (Boo's Defensive Return and Mario's Hammer attack). I don't know what triggers this glitch.

My game works perfectly fine, with or without the glitch, though, but I can abuse my Mario Offensive Power Shot's negation of effects.

Glowsquid said:
On another note: Though I don't know how prevalent it is (only checked a few pages), glitches can be caused solely by problems with the physical media (dirty contacts on cartridges, scratched discs, that kind of stuff) and not an inherent flaw in the game's code. Those kind of situations shouldn't be listed in my opinion, as they're not replicable.

I wasn't considering that anyway. I don't count that as game bugs; they fall in a similar scenario as the Wii not reading the GameCube discs anymore or something like that.

^So, if a glitch occurred in one disc, would that count as a glitch? I have two glitches in Mario Power Tennis that seems to be exclusive to my copy (Boo's Defensive Return and Mario's Hammer attack). I don't know what triggers this glitch.

My game works perfectly fine, with or without the glitch, though, but I can abuse my Mario Offensive Power Shot's negation of effects.

It probably won't count as a glitch. Perhaps we do have damage on our disc.

I'm not sure how damage on the disc can cause a graphic glitch.

La Marionette said:
I'm not sure how damage on the disc can cause a graphic glitch.

It can cause damage to how the console reads the game.

I really don't know what triggered it. The game runs smoothly. I thought damage can make the game unplayable, not making Boo's face look weird when it uses a Defensive shot.

How can I check if this glitch is caused by damage? Or is it something we triggered without knowing it? Other games I have don't have these sort of glitches. Also, our damaging discs is unheard of.

La Marionette said:
How can I check if this glitch is caused by damage? Or is it something we triggered without knowing it? Other games I have don't have these sort of glitches. Also, our damaging discs is unheard of.

How can you check? If your game copy is the only copy with that particular glitch, then it's possible it's damaged. We don't know if our Mario Power Tennis CD is damaged; we haven't closely inspected it yet. But it could be just a minor damage to the disc that can cause problems; you may never know.

Well, I think we should just leave it here for now.

Eh, here's what I did for this page: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!/Glitches

That's a good start of what future glitch pages would look like, if I had the potential to simply go to these pages and just do it.

Anyone else want to help? :P

I'll help, but I'll probably help in a circumstantial basis, like, if I came across a glitch page I felt like fixing, I'd do it.

I did the donkey kong 64 page. i took the liberty of adding a "Sequence Breaking" category for a glitch that allows you to progress in the game without the normally required amount of items.

Oh I didn't realize that too. But thanks for the contribution!

I really need to get started on this

Back