Reinvent Mario Party!

Koopaul

Cheep Cheep
Mario Party 9 came out and changed the rules dramatically. It got me thinking of my own ideas of how I would reinvent Mario Party

In my version of the game things are designed to be VERY Mario inspired. Basically spaces are based off of blocks from a Super Mario game, you're not quite sure what may come out of it, if anything at all! Also you have spaces that make enemies attack and knock coins out.

But the rules for my game are very similar to the classic Mario Party.

Whoever has the most of the required item for that board (Stars, Bananas, Eggs) wins.

You get these items by passing the board host (Toadsworth, Cranky Kong, Rosalina) but there will be certain requirements to get said item, for example:
Cranky will sell you bananas for a certain price depending on his mood. If he's happy he'll sell bananas for 5 coins each, if he's normal he'll sell them for 10 each, if he's angry he'll sell them for 25 coins each or not at all!

1-4 Players can be on a board at a time, you don't need CPUs. Each player moves individually around the board hitting dice blocks and landing on spaces to earn coins or items. There is no number of turns, the game goes on forever until a player reaches the required amount of Eggs, Cookies, or whatever. You can set up how much you need to win.

Mini Games are activated by landing on certain spaces. There are Free-For-All games, Dual Games, Baddy Games and Boss Games.

Every board has a boss, you'll fight them when someone lands on the boss space, you'll win a reward depending on how well you beat them.

Here are the spaces for the game!

mariopartyd.png

BLUE
Chest Space: very rare, you'll get one of the required items for free!
Free-For-All Game Space: starts a mini game where every plays for coins.
Brick Block Space: hit a Brick Block, 0-5 coins may come out.
Item Block Space: a Mushroom or Fire Flower will come out and be used immediatly. (Mushroom makes you grow and move 1-10 spaces ahead, Fire Flower turns you into your fire firm and shoot a fireball 1-10 spaces ahead, knocking 5 coins out of anyone ahead)
Note Block Space: appears randomly on the board and warps you to the board host.

RED
Baddy Game Space: like a Bowser mini-game, the boss of the board will make everyone do a game, the loser loses all of their coins or items.
Enemy Space: enemy will attack you, knocking out 0-5 coins.
POW Block Space: opponents will be shaken up and all lose 0-5 coins.
Boss Space: everyone will be taken to fight the board boss.

GREEN
Dual Game Space: challenge another player to a duel game and bet coins or key items.
Warp Pipe Space: warps you to another Warp Pipe Space.
P Switch Space: activates something on the board.
Chance Time Space: play a game of chance that may gamble everyone's coins or items.

Well those are my ideas. What do you think?

Now it's your turn, you come up with your own rules and ideas.

There should be a 1 vs. 3 mode. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but three characters compete against one character in a board.

I'm thinking that we should be able to fight enemies in Enemy Minigames! That way, we could have something to go with Boss Minigames.

I'd prefer that^ as well.

La Marionette said:
I'd prefer that^ as well.
Same but Bowser should stay with having the role as a space.

Definitely. Rosalina should replace DK as the helping hand.

Koopaul said:
I was thinking DK and Diddy would be playable characters.
DK is considered to be reintroduce since he was once a player, but Diddy hasn't been a Party member yet. It seems like they're not considering to do Party with DK series. (If they do, other DK members can be players too.)
If DK becomes playable again, I think Cranky or Funky can take the NPC seat.

Koopaul said:
You get these items by passing the board host (Toadsworth, Cranky Kong, Rosalina)
La Marionette said:
Definitely. Rosalina should replace DK as the helping hand.
My concern is though Rosalina hasn't entered other spinoffs, Toadsworth and those absent are not in the recent parties (and other games) as hosts :???:. The staff could have problem with NPCs as well.

That's largely Nintendo's fault. Right now, I'm suggesting ideas.

True there's nothing stopping them from doing this. Diddy has been in Mario Party since the DS, if they wanted to, they could make him playable.

Toadsworth should be the host or :tumble:. Rosalina seems more like a helper, because she has awesome star power!

Brighton and Twila should at least reappear

I'd rather not do the Night/Day system again. Imagine if it was in MP9: Night. . . Aahhhhhhhhh, they forgot to turn on the headlights, so they fell down

What if the style wasn't like Mario Party 9?

I'd want the host to be Chuck Quizmo. Of course that would never happen, but I'd still want him.

The closest thing to Chuck Quizmo was Ballyhoo.

I was thinking mini-games look aesthetically different depending on the stage.

Lets say you're playing Bumper Balls, if you're on Donkey Kong's board the game will take place on a treetop platform.
If you're on Rosalina's board the game takes place on a platform in space.

The game plays the same but fits the theme of the board you are on.

That's pretty idealistic, but it would take up a lot of memory. It's like repeating every single minigame x number of boards there are. That's a lot of different models, textures, and animations there.

I don't think you would have to create any new animations, just new textures and a few touch ups to the environment models.

Yeah, that's it. Textures don't take up much space. The stages in Mario Party 6 depending on the time of the day mostly change textures and lighting, which won't take up much game space.

Koopaul said:
I don't think you would have to create any new animations, just new textures and a few touch ups to the environment models.

They'll still be completely different files unless they make it so the game reads certain files only when this is occurring if it's even possible.

But, even so, I still highly approve of this idea. And if you play it in Minigame Mode, you can have options to choose a stage, very much like Mario Mechs and that shell bowling minigame from Mario Party 2

Back