Star Wars in General (Movies, Shows, Books, Games, etc.)

Favorite Star Wars Movie(/s)?

• Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • All of Them. Can't Pick a Favorite

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Only Original Trilogy

• Only Prequel Trilogy

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Only Sequel Trilogy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
TR-8R's real number is actually FN-2199.

Nabber said:
he's anakin but with an actually competent actor and good writing

as opposed to just being a badass like every other star wars villain, he tries to project an image of being cool without ever being able to come close to being a new darth vader. and that frustrates him, thereby making himself even more powerful and dangerous
yeah, my favorite kind of villain: hilariously incompetent
Nabber said:
plus, he actually still clearly wants to not be a dickhead, which makes him a lot more interesting
isnt literally his whole motivation that he wants to be MORE of a dick
Dia said:
Decidueye said:
kylo ren is gr8

i liked when he channelled his inner TR-8R

TR-8R is the true final boss of VII, VIII, and IX. search your feelings, you know it to be true.
its kind of sad when, no joke, tr-8r was actually the most competent antagonist in the whole movie

Nabber said:
sorry jav but not all villains can be wordless badasses like darth maul

the point isnt that all villains should be one dimensional dark, brooding, or menacing. its that ren is a poorly done character and unlikable. which i mean, i guess is a good trait for a villain, but he's not even likable as a villain. he's not a good villain, he's pretty incompetent. his tantrums would be fine and great and intimidating, except other aspects of his character detracts from them, and makes them comedic rather than menacing. he isnt very good at his job as a villain.

also, if their goal was to set him up to be likeable and sympathetic in order to give him a heel face turn, thats being poorly done as well, because he's not even likeable in that sense. i want him to lose, i dont want him to have an success, and i hope he ends poorly, because he is entirely unlikable a character and his motivation is half assed, his struggle is poorly portrayed and lacking in logic, and he has pretty much already committed acts that are beyond the point of a redemption arc. he's just not a very sympathetic character, i cant relate, and he's unlikable.

not to mention the stuff i listed earlier in my previous post about how his character and back story dont even make sense.

i legitimately fail to see how he's incompetent

he's extremely dangerous, and that first scene in the force awakens is incredibly well staged, showing how truly powerful he can be. it's just that he's still, you know, a kid and in training, so yeah, he has his weaknesses. i don't really know how you can say he's incompetent though when he succeeds in almost everything he does

also, if their goal was to set him up to be likeable and sympathetic in order to give him a heel face turn, thats being poorly done as well, because he's not even likeable in that sense. i want him to lose, i dont want him to have an success, and i hope he ends poorly, because he is entirely unlikable a character and his motivation is half assed, his struggle is poorly portrayed and lacking in logic, and he has pretty much already committed acts that are beyond the point of a redemption arc. he's just not a very sympathetic character, i cant relate, and he's unlikable.

so what the hell is darth vader

Dia said:
Decidueye said:
kylo ren is gr8

i liked when he channelled his inner TR-8R

TR-8R is the true final boss of VII, VIII, and IX. search your feelings, you know it to be true.
Lol, everyone knows the real Sith mastermind is Jar Jar

So I've been thinking about Kylo Ren. I do agree with Brock that Ben is an odd name choice for Leia and Han's son, but it does make sense if Luke pushed for the name. Perhaps he sensed a strong connection with himself and this kid through the Force.

What we know so far is that Ben trained with Luke until he turned to the Dark Side, and then Luke blamed himself and went into hiding. Ben was stated to have equally good and evil potential, so there would have had to have been something traumatic to tip the scale. Something Luke did.

Keep in mind that in this canon, Luke never married or had any kids of his own. He would have felt pretty lonely, especially being a third wheel to Han and Leia. But he also felt a strong connection with Ben as mentioned before. And seeing as he was teaching Ben to become a Jedi, they would have spent a lot of time together. By themselves. They would gotten preeeeeetty close.

I think you guys know what I'm hinting at by now, so I'll stop there.

Nabber said:
i legitimately fail to see how he's incompetent

he's extremely dangerous, and that first scene in the force awakens is incredibly well staged, showing how truly powerful he can be. it's just that he's still, you know, a kid and in training, so yeah, he has his weaknesses. i don't really know how you can say he's incompetent though when he succeeds in almost everything he does

so what the hell is darth vader

darth vader didnt return to the good guys and drink champagne with the good guys in their victory celebration with the ewoks, and get buddy buddy with the people he murdered. if they want to put ren through a darth vader style "sees the light then dies" fine, whatever.

im saying that a lot of people want ren to suddenly come back to being a jedi, all happy and sound, and for him to suddenly be the main character. im just saying he's kinda beyond that. he's firmly the villain, he is beyond the point where you could comfortably accept him back on to the side of the good guys. vader killed kids and billions of lives. ren killed his father and ordered the slaughter of at least one village of innocents if not more during his fall to the dark side and his rise in the New Order or whatever we're calling it. you could argue neither is deserving of a redemption arc, but vader already had one so _.

im not seeing a vegeta "Defeat Means Friendship" move coming here, that a lot of the fanbase apparently seems to hoping for. ren is the bad guy, which isnt bad in its own right, but not a very interesting one. yes, he's very powerful, yes he is unstable and dangerous. but he's not very interesting. other than his one demonstration of power at the beginning, he's not very impressive. he's not a terrible villain, he's just pretty uninspiring as far as star wars bad guys go. and its not just because "ono, he has emotions."

sure, i guess you can like him, but i'd rather focus on more interesting characters, like the actual protagonists of the new star wars.

but you don't understand

kylo ren has such a BEAUTIFUL face and AMAZING HAIR (inside a helmet, no less) that the rebels will immediately forgive him

yeah yeah episode 8 trailer blah blah

what's more important is I FINALLY HAVE MY HANDS ON A COPY OF THRAWN

WOOOOOOOOO

update: thrawn was a good book; we finally got to see things from thrawn's perspective, which was nice

it has a lot of the standard zahn-isms, though (3rd person limited perspective, complex technical issues in star wars tech) so if those bother you then you might not be interested

http://deadline.com/2017/09/jj-abrams-star-wars-episode-9-director-colin-trevorrow-lucasfilm-disney-1202167681/amp/
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907686475512160256

After we learned a few days ago that Colin Trevorrow was removed as director for Episode IX (thank god), we now know that J.J. Abrams will be taking over. I really liked Force Awakens. We also have a release date change, with it now releasing on December 20, 2019 instead of in May. And I'm glad, cause I like December being Star Wars month from now on.

i can't wait for whatever somewhat decent plot episode 8 might have to be ruined by jj abram's careless disregard for intelligent storymaking

i can't wait for jj abrams to make a perfectly fine film that'll piss jav off because it doesn't have enough exposition

i can't wait until i get to re-watch rogue one because it's actually the best star wars film imo and i could watch it nonstop

New poster and trailer for The Last Jedi
6lzsdlmmawqz.jpg

Lotta stuff to unpack here. That ending tho. Either Kylo is drifting towards the light, or Rey is drifting towards the dark.

nnnnn did they really need to show that last part

it was such a good trailer already

but damn this looks gorgeous

GalacticPetey said:
Lotta stuff to unpack here. That ending tho. Either Kylo is drifting towards the light, or Rey is drifting towards the dark.
maybe they'll both make gray Jedi's a thing

Gonta Gokuhara said:
nnnnn did they really need to show that last part

it was such a good trailer already

but damn this looks gorgeous
I think it's a misdirect. It looks like two different scenes spliced together.

Wonder what that little bird thing's gonna be. Maybe some new companion or something?

And wow it's this Christmas, can't believe it was that fast.

Back