Pronunciation (non-video game version)

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
*steals nsm's idea* How do you pronounce various words?

First off, Appalachian is pronounced "App-a-latch-in" not "App-a-laytch-in".

'3K said:

Pretty sure they're both correct.

Also potato tomato.

I say "milk" as "malk". (not really, but it does make for some interesting scenarios)

How do you pronounce "phlegm"?

^Huh, that's what I thought too.

I hate how people (French learners) pronounce "montagne" "Mont-tahg-nee". Yeah, it's a french word, but it sounds so ugly when they pronounce it like that. -_-

California has this test called CAHSEE and it annoys me to no end that people pronounce it "Kasey" even though the AH is present

I pronounce CAH SEE

Yes, glad someone got the reference. (also, I love Julian Smith's videos, but that might just be me)

Kosciuszko is pronounced 'coh-sthoosh-ko', not 'kozzy-oz-ko'. Silly Australians and their lazy pronunciations of European words.

[quote author=the video description]
No use crying over spilled milk. Violence, however, solves everything.
[/quote]

^that YT video in a nutshell.

Alternatively, I've also pronounced "milk" as "molk" in some cases.

Ornithologist Mario said:

I hate how people (French learners) pronounce "montagne" "Mont-tahg-nee". Yeah, it's a french word, but it sounds so ugly when they pronounce it like that. -_-

Too few people actually make an effort at pronouncing the words correctly, even after they realize that the pronunciation standards between languages differ.

'3K said:

Are you sure? Because I live in the Appalachian mountains and absolutely everyone says "app-a-laysh-in."

Also, caramel: "car-mel," not "care-a-mell," although I think that one is just personal preference.

It really irritates me, too, when people in French class don't even try. I understand if they can't pronounce some special sounds, like the French r, but some of them I swear do it on purpose.

schmutz said:
It really irritates me, too, when people in French class don't even try. I understand if they can't pronounce some special sounds, like the French r, but some of them I swear do it on purpose.

I've been living with a fluent French speaker and when the kids mispronounce French, it shows.

Like, "sœur" or "cheveux", they pronounce it as "sewer" and "chuhvoh".

My reading sometimes slips when I see "alright" instead of the correct "all right." I don't know how, but I sometimes see it for a split second as "ail-right."

I say /kɑɹməl/. Also, using a legitimate phonetic transcription would be smart for a thread about pronunciation.

Ornithologist Mario said:

Oh God. I live in Louisiana, pronounced Loosyana (yes, like the Popeyes commercial) , and everything has French names. I don't even know them all.

Back