Pronunciation (non-video game version)

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
*steals nsm's idea* How do you pronounce various words?

First off, Appalachian is pronounced "App-a-latch-in" not "App-a-laytch-in".

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
'3K said:

Pretty sure they're both correct.

Also potato tomato.

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
I say "milk" as "malk". (not really, but it does make for some interesting scenarios)

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
I spell Appalachian "Appuh-lay-tee-un"

Also "coffee" is "cowah-fee," thanks to New Jersey.

Brawl Mario

Super Smash Bros.'s most fearsome plumber
How do you pronounce "phlegm"?

Brawl Mario

^Huh, that's what I thought too.

I hate how people (French learners) pronounce "montagne" "Mont-tahg-nee". Yeah, it's a french word, but it sounds so ugly when they pronounce it like that. -_-

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
California has this test called CAHSEE and it annoys me to no end that people pronounce it "Kasey" even though the AH is present

I pronounce CAH SEE

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
Yes, glad someone got the reference. (also, I love Julian Smith's videos, but that might just be me)

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Kosciuszko is pronounced 'coh-sthoosh-ko', not 'kozzy-oz-ko'. Silly Australians and their lazy pronunciations of European words.

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
[quote author=the video description]
No use crying over spilled milk. Violence, however, solves everything.
[/quote]

^that YT video in a nutshell.

Alternatively, I've also pronounced "milk" as "molk" in some cases.

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
Ornithologist Mario said:

I hate how people (French learners) pronounce "montagne" "Mont-tahg-nee". Yeah, it's a french word, but it sounds so ugly when they pronounce it like that. -_-
Too few people actually make an effort at pronouncing the words correctly, even after they realize that the pronunciation standards between languages differ.

schmutz

welcome to the hotel waluigi
'3K said:

Are you sure? Because I live in the Appalachian mountains and absolutely everyone says "app-a-laysh-in."

Also, caramel: "car-mel," not "care-a-mell," although I think that one is just personal preference.

It really irritates me, too, when people in French class don't even try. I understand if they can't pronounce some special sounds, like the French r, but some of them I swear do it on purpose.

Brawl Mario

schmutz said:
It really irritates me, too, when people in French class don't even try. I understand if they can't pronounce some special sounds, like the French r, but some of them I swear do it on purpose.
I've been living with a fluent French speaker and when the kids mispronounce French, it shows.

Like, "sœur" or "cheveux", they pronounce it as "sewer" and "chuhvoh".

My reading sometimes slips when I see "alright" instead of the correct "all right." I don't know how, but I sometimes see it for a split second as "ail-right."

Uniju

Hazukashii serifu kinshi
I say /kɑɹməl/. Also, using a legitimate phonetic transcription would be smart for a thread about pronunciation.

Ornithologist Mario said:

Oh God. I live in Louisiana, pronounced Loosyana (yes, like the Popeyes commercial) , and everything has French names. I don't even know them all.