Those characters have not appeared since Mario Super Sluggers.

Recent Mario spin-offs have disappointment for me at all.
Mario Sports Mix, Mario & Sonic 2012 (No new characters), Mario Kart 7, Fortune Street (Not enough roster), Mario Party 9 (Loss some of characters, Toadette wasn't in at all), Mario Tennis Open (Weird unlockable characters).
I wish good roster in next spin-offs.

Double Post.

This topic of first page updated.
*Mario Party 9 with adding Luma (Rosalina or Luma; random choice)
*Better Mario Tennis Open roster
*Replacing QR characters from Mario Tennis Open

Lumin Blade said:
Recent Mario spin-offs have disappointment for me at all.
Mario Sports Mix, Mario & Sonic 2012 (No new characters), Mario Kart 7, Fortune Street (Not enough roster), Mario Party 9 (Loss some of characters, Toadette wasn't in at all), Mario Tennis Open (Weird unlockable characters).
I wish good roster in next spin-offs.
I guess we will need to just wait and see.
Also, you will be able to change their own posts.

Honestly, I think some people get too high expectations for a Mario Spin-Off game roster. I don't care how much one person or another wants Petey Piranha to be playable more often or wishes something else took the place of a character they didn't like get in the game. It's not that big of a deal.

I judge Mario spin-off games by the gameplay. The roster could be a repeat of the relatively small roster that was the MK64 one for all I care. If the game is good enough and I have the interest of playing it alot for a while, I'll go buy it. I always assume that the cast is just going to have the MK64 cast/"The Big 8" (Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Bowser, Toad, Yoshi, and Wario) plus a little more anyway. In my eyes it just needs most of those 8 and the roster's good enough already.

I think I've said this before. But some people here make out Mario spin-off rosters as if they're about as important as the next Smash Bros. roster. When it's obvious to both Nintendo and a majority of fans that it's not the case. For SSB, it's far different because it's taking reps from all of Nintendo (Plus a few 3rd parties in the case of Brawl and presumably SSB4) and gives a sort of status of importance if they're selected in. AND it's quite obvious popularity does effect the Smash Bros. roster because of Sonic's (Most requested 3rd party) and King Dedede's (#1 in the Japanese Smash Poll) inclusion. That isn't the case for the Mario spin-off games other then obviously the characters that are practically guaranteed to return in every game (Most of, if not all of the Big 8 that is). No other character has that much importance, and popularity isn't something that affects anything in a Mario spin-off game because it doesn't actually matter that much for those games. I don't think popularity added Queen Bee/Honey Queen, Lakitu, and Metal Mario to Mario Kart 7 and as much as people were happy with this I don't think Kamek being chosen for Mario Party 9 was all popularity either. (And also had nothing to do with Waluigi being left out of the former or Toadette in the latter)

NSY said:
Clam down now, MTO's roster way better than Mario Kart 7's (Waluigi, Bowser Jr. And Diddy) although may think Luma and Baby Peach should have not appeared (agree with Baby Peacb).
If you compare the MTO with the previous Tennis in GC, I don't see too much progress. And The lack of main characters is a nature for rotation.

Northern Verve said:
I judge Mario spin-off games by the gameplay. The roster could be a repeat of the relatively small roster that was the MK64 one for all I care. If the game is good enough and I have the interest of playing it alot for a while, I'll go buy it. I always assume that the cast is just going to have the MK64 cast/"The Big 8" (Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK, Bowser, Toad, Yoshi, and Wario) plus a little more anyway. In my eyes it just needs most of those 8 and the roster's good enough already.

No other character has that much importance, and popularity isn't something that affects anything in a Mario spin-off game because it doesn't actually matter that much for those games. I don't think popularity added Queen Bee/Honey Queen, Lakitu, and Metal Mario to Mario Kart 7 and as much as people were happy with this I don't think Kamek being chosen for Mario Party 9 was all popularity either. (And also had nothing to do with Waluigi being left out of the former or Toadette in the latter)
In reality the protagonists are defined by the mainstream SMB series, that are Mario bros, Bowser and princesses. While we have problem with "spinoff regulars", there are still some main characters that didn't appear (or haven't) in Mario Kart 64. The biggest problem is that current rosters with mostly 15 seats don't afford many "musthaves".
Popluarity isn't a good thing to hear, since it's the staff who is in charge of balancing characters.

Large rosters add polish to the game. I mean, large rosters in say like, Super Sluggers or Mario Kart Wii where at least some effort was put in characters (voices, animations, crap). They aren't necessary to have, but they make a great game even better. So yes, some people do take rosters seriously. Sometimes, who is playable can influence the game's sales, and can even judge if the people think if it's worth their money. A lot of Mario games sell because it has Mario in the title and that his friends are there.

Of course, there is no denying that character roster importance in Mario spin-offs are way less necessary than in Super Smash Bros., but in my opinion, they're comparable to music and graphics in the game, which both aren't necessary, but can help improve the game's overall score.

[quote author=Tempest Tales]
Replacing QRs
Blue Yoshi -> Koopa Troopa
Cyan Yoshi -> Baby Luigi
Yellow Yoshi -> Petey Piranha
Pink Yoshi -> Rosalina
Red Yoshi -> Shy Guy
Black Yoshi -> Birdo
White Yoshi -> Dry Bones (I don't understand Dry Bowser is playable and Dry Bomes isn't in at all.)
I'm fine with Metal Mario.
[/quote]
Wow uh I like the Yoshis though. And it's Light Blue Yoshi, not Cyan Yoshi

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
Replacing QRs
Cyan Yoshi -> Baby Luigi
Pink Yoshi -> Rosalina
Red Yoshi -> Shy Guy
Black Yoshi -> Birdo
White Yoshi -> Dry Bones (I don't understand Dry Bowser is playable and Dry Bomes isn't in at all.)
[/quote]
So you like bland clones of already existing characters? Fun. Also, Cyan and Light Blue are the same thing.

Ghost Nappa said:
Replacing QRs
Cyan Yoshi -> Baby Luigi
Pink Yoshi -> Rosalina
Red Yoshi -> Shy Guy
Black Yoshi -> Birdo
So you like bland clones of already existing characters? Fun. Also, Cyan and Light Blue are the same thing.
[/quote]
Cyan Yoshi has never been declared an official name, thus a long time ago, I started a Talk Page Proposal to move it to the correct title, Light Blue Yoshi.

Replacing QRs
Cyan Yoshi -> Baby Luigi
Pink Yoshi -> Rosalina
Red Yoshi -> Shy Guy
Black Yoshi -> Birdo
[/quote]

You can play as Green Yoshi, then.

While I would rather have my Baby Luigi over Light Blue Yoshi.

Back