ahahaha, we've been cited by an academic paper.

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
A guy on an IRC channel messaged me to say we've been cited as a source in an academic paper about the NP-hardness of Nintendo's franchise that was published by students of the Cornell University.

Screencap in case you don't want to download the PDF:

mariowikipaper.png

By itself, it doesn't mean much (it's pretty hard to vouch for the credibility of a paper that use The Spriters Ressource as a source), but I find it a cute reminder of how far the wiki has come along since its err, humble beginning in 2005. Your thoughts?

Wait, so they cited Wikia for Donkey Kong but not for an article on Metroid that has admittedly not had much work done on anything but the plot yet? That's very surprising.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see we're known as a good source of information.

Thats good because MarioWiki knows a lot about mario Series

my bad spelling

Wow. All but one of the wiki sources are NIWA members. At least the people who did this paper have taste.

That's awesome. Another reminder how we all well known now (the first is that usually, mariowiki always comes up first when you try searching for anything Mario-related online).

Oh neat, that's awesome.

N64Dude said:
my bad spelling

...I'm sorry, what?

We're already kinda famous. I looked up "Ultraluigi" and I got five results! It's a start. Now all Porple needs to do is win a Nobel Prize for wikis.

Cap'n Falcon said:
We're already kinda famous. I looked up "Ultraluigi" and I got five results! It's a start. Now all Porple needs to do is win a Nobel Prize for wikis.
I would look up New Super Mario, but it has so many games with it in so it's not worth it.

Cap'n Falcon said:

Actually, on google, you have about 26,200. Though most of those aren't wiki-related.

Loganofan20 said:
Cap'n Falcon said:

Actually, on google, you have about 26,200. Though most of those aren't wiki-related.
Really? I wonder how many people there are named Ultraluigi...

Cap'n Falcon said:
Loganofan20 said:
Cap'n Falcon said:

I got about 8,300.

Loganofan20 said:
Cap'n Falcon said:
Loganofan20 said:
Cap'n Falcon said:

I got about 8,300.
Then there must be other people with the name Toad85.

Now let's convince Wikipedia to let us have our own article.

My school proxy filters out the Mario wiki as "games". Bleh. What if I need to research on the Mario games?

School does get boring at times, and if I wanted to make a point about the Mario series, Wikipedia is far from adequate.

Good thing we have specialized wikis.

Ornithologist Mario said:
My school proxy filters out the Mario wiki as "games". Bleh. What if I need to research on the Mario games?
You wanna know how easy it is to get around this problem at my school?
Just add an 's' onto the end of the 'http' to make 'https'
it's so easy it's not even funny

on-topic: We got cited on an official paper? Awesome.

Back