The Next SSB Game Characters

Professor Mario said:
Drilbur said:
I shall critique your dream roster, Professor.
Professor Mario said:
Anyways, we need more villains and women (good idea)
King K. Rool (not impossible)
Ridley (seems too big to me)
Dark Samus (would work good as an alternate costume)
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario (I like this idea)
Ghirahim (which form?)
Demise replacing Ganondorf (No, but Demise could be an alternate costume)
Waluigi (In the Wario series) (but he's not part of the Wario series, and Bowser Jr. would be enough addition to the Mario series)
Kamek (In the Yoshi series) (Meh, would be a better assist trophy)
Krystal (See Bowser Jr. response)
Impa (Skyward Sword) (I haven't played Skyward Sword, but if she's major enough then I'm all for it)
The problem with not putting Demise as the normal form is that every other Zelda character will likely just be the current incarnation of the Zelda console titles, with Ganondorf being the stand-out since he technically wasn't in Skyward Sword. Besides, it'd give a chance to have him actually use his sword instead of being a Falcon clone. And trust me, Impa appears all over Skyward Sword with crazy ninja moves that make you fangasm at the epicness. Also, Dark Samus is VERY different from Samus. She's like how Luigi is to Mario. It can harness Phazon power and summon the Aurora Unit. And yes, I know Waluigi isn't a part of the Wario series, but I wouldn't mind an exception for his potential moveset. As for Kamek, I wouldn't mind either result, but I'd definitely love playing as a witch and cast magic spells and fly on a broom. Ridley can have his size adjusted like Bowser in every Mario game, and Ghirahim could just be in his normal form with his final being his Final Smash.
What if Ganondorf is kept, but his look is heavily based on Demise?

Drilbur said:
Professor Mario said:
Drilbur said:
I shall critique your dream roster, Professor.
Professor Mario said:
Anyways, we need more villains and women (good idea)
King K. Rool (not impossible)
Ridley (seems too big to me)
Dark Samus (would work good as an alternate costume)
Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario (I like this idea)
Ghirahim (which form?)
Demise replacing Ganondorf (No, but Demise could be an alternate costume)
Waluigi (In the Wario series) (but he's not part of the Wario series, and Bowser Jr. would be enough addition to the Mario series)
Kamek (In the Yoshi series) (Meh, would be a better assist trophy)
Krystal (See Bowser Jr. response)
Impa (Skyward Sword) (I haven't played Skyward Sword, but if she's major enough then I'm all for it)
The problem with not putting Demise as the normal form is that every other Zelda character will likely just be the current incarnation of the Zelda console titles, with Ganondorf being the stand-out since he technically wasn't in Skyward Sword. Besides, it'd give a chance to have him actually use his sword instead of being a Falcon clone. And trust me, Impa appears all over Skyward Sword with crazy ninja moves that make you fangasm at the epicness. Also, Dark Samus is VERY different from Samus. She's like how Luigi is to Mario. It can harness Phazon power and summon the Aurora Unit. And yes, I know Waluigi isn't a part of the Wario series, but I wouldn't mind an exception for his potential moveset. As for Kamek, I wouldn't mind either result, but I'd definitely love playing as a witch and cast magic spells and fly on a broom. Ridley can have his size adjusted like Bowser in every Mario game, and Ghirahim could just be in his normal form with his final being his Final Smash.
What if Ganondorf is kept, but his look is heavily based on Demise?
Were talking about a demon who doesn't have a shirt, has scales on his arms, a large ass sword, sharp teeth, and white skin with fire as hair. There is literally no way to put Demise references on him without him looking like some deformed freak of nature.

I posted this on another forum; however, this is my personal roster with reasons provided below: ;)

SSB4Roster.png

Super Mario Bros. series:

*Newcomer: Toad
- My reasoning for Toad is pretty much covered all in here (in the Toad Essay):
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12843555&postcount=2

Donkey Kong series:

*Newcomer: King K. Rool
- As the main villain for the first three successful Donkey Kong Country games, King K. Rool has played an important role in Nintendo's history. He has potential to being a very unique character and as well as being the main villain for the DK series (one of Nintendo's best selling franchises).

*Newcomer: Dixie Kong
- After some consideration, I do see that Dixie Kong herself is also an important character in the DK series and would complete the DK Country series main protagonists (Kiddy Kong is not as historic as Dixie is). I feel that the DK series is worth for two newcomers, so Dixie is a good choice after K. Rool himself.

Yoshi series:
*Newcomer: None
- I'm fairly sure that Yoshi is the only needed representative for his own series.

Wario series:
- The Wario series could take a newcomer; however, I really only feel that Captain Syrup might have a chance (though we do not know how much Wario Land references to expect in the next game). Most WarioWare characters seem to be on the same level of importance as of now as well. Perhaps time or criticism might change my mind; however, I still feel Wario is only really needed.

Also if you were wondering about Wario's odd placement with the Zelda characters, this was because of a last minute decision of adding Dixie Kong into my roster. As I did not have a Zelda newcomer at the time, I just placed Wario here for the time being.

The Legend of Zelda series:
- While I do agree that the Zelda series is deserving for another character, I just am unsure with who can take that spot. Characters like Ghirahim are popular; however, it is difficult to see how vital he is to the entire Zelda series and whether or not he is another one shot like Midna was.

Tingle has his chances; however, he seems to have disappeared from the Zelda series in terms of actual appearances (he does have his own games; however, I still don't know how far that will take him for now). Impa is still a character I also feel unsure about as well. Then there is also Toon Zelda to consider as well. Perhaps in time, I might get an idea of who to add, but for now I will leave the Zelda series on hold for a newcomer.

Metroid series:
*Newcomer: Ridley
- I think it has been discussed enough that Ridley is the most deserving out of the remaining Metroid characters. He's the only Metroid character who I personally feel has a chance of making it in (despite his "size" issues).

Kid Icarus series:
*Newcomer: Palutena
- Palutena might not seem like a fighter in comparison to Medusa; however, she is extremely iconic and even important to the series. She seems to have a big role in Uprising, and I personally believe that if they could give Zelda a moveset pre-melee (when she never fought in a game before), then Palutena has a good chance of being in Smash herself as well.

Medusa is my close second pick for a Kid Icarus rep. I added Palutena for the reasons above instead of Medusa (who can also be interesting).

Punch-Out series: (New)
*Newcomer: Little Mac
- Little Mac and his series have been rather popular, and with his recent revival, I think that he has a decent shot of getting into SSB4. He is also capable of bringing in a unique style of fighting as well to Smash.

Kirby series:
*Newcomer: Bandanna Waddle Dee
- While the Kirby series is already rather complete with the main trio, Waddle Dee himself is also a rather notable character from the series. He has been featured as an important character in various games and has become even recognizable in the general Kirby media. Waddle Dee has also been featured as the next most recurring playable character after the main three. I also believe that his spear can bring in quite a lot of unique potential to Smash Bros.. He's not needed, but he would still be interesting to have.

Pikmin series:
- I think Olimar and the Pikmin satisfies the series so far. I would like to see another Louie appearance before I can consider him for now. Perhaps Pikmin 3 might change my mind, but for now Olimar and Pikmin seem enough to me at least.

Star Fox series:
- I personally think the Star Fox series already overindulged in the amount of characters it could receive in Brawl. Yes, the series does have interesting and developed characters; however, as of now we already have a more than satisfying roster. Perhaps a new Star Fox game might give more insight, but for now I think we have enough.

I considered Krystal slightly; however, I still do not think she is as worthy as the main three for now.

F-Zero series:
- I considered Goroh quite a bit; however, for now I did not add a newcomer. I think Falcon will suffice for now though a newcomer is inviteable. We'll see...

Xenoblade Chronicles: (New)
*Newcomer: Shulk
- Well he is a new Nintendo protagonist from a new series that has potential to become popular (which is what Sakurai wanted). I think he has a chance.

Pokemon series:
*Returning: Mewtwo
*Newcomer: Victini
- I personally believe Mewtwo has a strong chance of returning this time around. Sakurai seems to have worked with Mewtwo the most and many were disappointed with his absence. He still has relevance so I will say that he has a good chance of returning.
-Victini has become a rather recognizable Pokemon of the 5th generation and has become popular thanks to its two movies. I personally think that it would be interesting to see. I removed Lucario for a new gen rep; however, I still think he has his chances. Perhaps he might get added back in a future roster, but for now I see a new gen having more priority over the 4th.

Fire Emblem series:
- Fire Emblem is very similar to Zelda in this case for a newcomer choice. At this point of time, I am unsure of who will be more likely to be added. Roy has a good chance of returning as he still has worldwide recognition thanks to Melee and was a protagonist of his own game. Then there is also Krom who we know very little about. There are others like Lyn, Caeda; however, it starts to get iffy after this. So far, I feel Marth and Ike will likely return; however, the newcomer I am not sure about. Perhaps some suggestions might help though I am waiting to see until the new FE game is released.

Note that I will add a FE character in time (sees the active topic of FE character); however, so far I am unsure of who to add.

Mother series:
- I feel that the Mother series is satisfied with the amount of reps it has for now. Though I think Lucas has the potential of getting more unique Mother 3 moves (my opinion).

Golden Sun series: (New)
*Newcomer: Issac
- The Golden Sun series has become recognized especially after Brawl, and I think Issac is a notable character to add considering his appearances and his cameo in Brawl. He would be interesting to see.

Retro Game series:
*Newcomer: Lip
*Newcomer: Balloon Fighter
- I feel that criticism will occur from here on out. For Lip's inclusion, I feel that she is a worthy character who can rep Nintendo's puzzle games which have been long lived. She isn't exactly retro; however, she still does have a history as well as a potential unique fighting style. Her appearance can also surprise quite a few people as well.
- Balloon Fighter is very much one of the more recognizable retro characters who has yet to be in Smash. I am well aware that Sakurai shot down the idea of the Balloon Fighter in the pre-melee days; however, that does not mean that he is completely out of the picture. He still has a chance for a unique moveset, and there are ways to get around his balloon popping problem. I still think he has a chance and his retro appearance would be matching to that of the ICs and possibly ROB.

Third Party:
*Newcomer: Megaman
*Newcomer: Slime
- I think Megaman is self explanatory. He had a long history with Nintendo and I think he will be the best rep for Capcom as a result of this as well as his mascot like status.
- I know that Slime will probably be the most criticized character in my roster; however, I do feel that in spite of his limbless body and simpleness, that he actually has a stronger chance than most of us think. Square has had a very strong relation with Nintendo as of recently and with games like Itadaki Street DS, Mario Hoops, MSM, Fortune Street, etc, we could very well get a Square-Enix rep. The DQ series has also had a strong relationship with Nintendo especially and with Slime being the mascot of that series along with his own games, he could very well be playable. He proved to being able to play sports in MSM and is also very popular in Japan. Indeed, he has a chance.

Considered characters:
*A Zelda rep
*Medusa (either her or Palutena though I decided with the latter for now)
*A FE rep (either Roy or Krom)
*Mii (I understand the demand for it; however, I just was not sure if whether adding the Miis were a good choice or not).

In the scenario that we do end up with 60 characters (excluding transformations), I did input the following roster...

SSB4Roster2.png

I still want General Zelgius/The Black Knight from Fire Emblem to be playable, but that'll probably never happen.

I do definitely support Goroh and Dark Samus being in, though. The Metroid and F-Zero series really need more characters in the SSB series.

MnSG said:
In the scenario that we do end up with 60 characters (excluding transformations), I did input the following roster...

SSB4Roster2.png

Who's the dude below Skull Kid?

As for the list itself, replace Tails with Snake and I'm fine if that's the roster for the new game. (as much as I like Tails, I feel that Snake deserves to come back) Plenty of good choices, though I would rather have Toad or Waluigi over Rosalina. (but then again, I dislike Rosalina) And Chibi Robo is an interesting choice, though it could work.

Matlock said:
I think Bomberman would make a cool assist trophy

Bomberman would be cool, yes. Especially if he was playable. I'd take him over a Final Fantasy character.

50 might too much, actually.

I'd go with that list, but minus Rosalina, Skull Kid, that other guy below Skull Kid, Black Shadow, Stafy, Leon, Palutena, Chibi, the guy from Xenoblade, and Ray MKII (?). And replace Tails with Snake and possibly Black Mage with Bomberman.

Smasher said:
50 might too much, actually.

I'd go with that list, but minus Rosalina, Skull Kid, that other guy below Skull Kid, Black Shadow, Stafy, Leon, Palutena, Chibi, the guy from Xenoblade, and Ray MKII (?). And replace Tails with Snake and possibly Black Mage with Bomberman.
They should put Majora in it...also Waddle Dee might be a little to weak for a smash bros game

Majora? Maybe.

You've got a point about Waddle Dee, but his spear could help make him a pretty good fighter. I'd say he has potential. Though all of the guys on M&SG's list could be good choices IMO. (except Roslina. I honestly don't see how she would be good in a Smash Bros game)

Chibi Robo is kind of a weak choice too, yes. And I think Ray MKII and Stafy should just stay as assist trophies.

MnSG said:

SSB4Roster2.png

I'm a bit iffy on some of the characters (Only talking about Newcomers. Of course I'd be ok with all the characters that are already in Brawl) on the bottom 3 rows. King K. Rool, Goroh, Krystal, Black Mage, and Megaman are A-OK

But I feel Bandana Waddle Dee, Leon, Rosalina, Skull Kid, and Palutena are just too minor. And other then Little Mac I feel like there's no need to turn all those Brawl Assist Trophies into Characters in the next game. I'd prefer spots be taken by other characters. Also as much as I would LOVE Tails to be in the game (Like if he were in the game I'd be just about as happy as I was with Sonic when he made it into Brawl) he shouldn't replace Snake.

Also I have no idea who's the guy below Ice Climbers and top of Little Mac.

Northern Verve said:
Also I have no idea who's the guy below Ice Climbers and top of Little Mac.

A character from Xenoblade Chronicles, I think.

I would guess that Nameless-Not-Marth-I-Guess from Fire Emblem: Awakening would be in (judging by how Roy and Ike were in Melee and Brawl respectively since they were in the newest FE games at the time).

Also, Magnus would be pretty awesome and I can't think of any other Kid Icarus characters that would work.

Personally, I think a character should be in Brawl if they played a MAJOR part in their respective game...

I think Star Fox has enough characters as of Brawl. They're all pretty much the same anyways with just a few tweaks.

I definitely want to see Waluigi. Personally, I think he should be part of the Wario series, but he hasn't appeared in a Wario game...yet. Who knows what'll happen? My guess is that this game won't be hitting stores till late 2013-2014.

Let's see...
Mario has enough characters, but considering the Wii U's higher capacity, I think one more wouldn't kill them. DK definitely needs K. Rool. Dixie...not so much...

Personally, I think Zelda is find the way it is, although replacing Toon/Young Link with someone new would be the best option.

Metroid needs 1-2 more characters. Personally, I'd like to see Ridley as an assisst trophy rather than a brawler. Dark Samus could work, and maybe, somehow, an antagonist. I haven't played many Metroids aside from the the 3 Primes and Fusion, so my knowledge is terrible.

F-Zero definitely needs more. Goroh should be a no brainer.

I'd like to see Kirby with another character, but I just don't really see Bandana Dee working. Prince Fluff can work, though. He would have a different moveset than the other three and had a major part in KEY.

Pokemon doesn't need 6 brawlers. Take out Mewtwo or Lucario, essentially the same moveset.

I feel that Mother needs one more character. Personally, I'd like to see Jeff or Duster since they wouldn't have the same moveset as Lucas or NEss (lack of PSI).

Pikmin...well, I'd like another character, but their moveset might be, well, too similar. Maybe the third game will bring someone new.

Fire Emblem is a pretty big series, so another memorable character wouldn't hurt anyone.

I feel that Pit is enough for Kid Icarus right now, but with the new game coming out in about 3 weeks, that might change.

Ice Climbers is pretty self explanatory, having only like one (technically two) main character. '_'

Other obscure/less known Nintendo titles: I have nothin'

Then third parties:
Snake and Sonic should stay. Banjo and Kazooie should be included.

I agree with Prince Fluff, Gamefreak.

I'd like to see Pacman. I mean he's a classic, and one of the top most recognized video game characters along with Mario

Prince Fluff is unlikely IMO. If Midna didn't get into Brawl, I think the chances are low for characters in already established series like Kirby to get a character that only appeared in one game. Technically Roy got in Melee despite not having his game he's from come out yet.

Also ever since Pac-Man hasn't head a serious mainstream game in years. I think of Pac-Man's chances of being lower then even say Rayman or Crash Bandicoot. However I did hear that Sega, Capcom, and Namco are creating some sort of Crossover game for the 3DS. Who knows if as a side thing they decide to all head over to Nintendo (Sega to reaffirm Sonic, Megaman from Capcom, and who knows who from Namco) to assist with SSB4?

Back