Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra

If you could choose what kind of Bender you'd be. What element would you choose?

• Waterbender

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Earthbender

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Firebender

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Airbender

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Non-Bender

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
Having just finished shotgunning all three books and all of book four that's up, I'm feeling good about the series as a whole.

The whole Korrasami thing seemed a tad more on the nose than in previous seasons. Probably to help drive home that it's been three years and everyone is older.

Not too much happened in this episode but we did get some great Toph and Korra moments. Also more of Hitle- I mean Kuvira. Looks like she means business.

i fucking love toph

don't really get what kovira was doing at the coronation though. like "leaders are bad. that's why i'm going to usurp the throne and be a leader. so there are no more leaders". i'm confused??? also why are we bringing the anti-leader plot back again...

also why did she ask wu to give a speech if her intention was to usurp the throne anyway. like, what if he said no. would she not have done it? goddammit wu.

Toph continues to be the same old awesome Toph we know and love her parts ere hands-down the best pars of the episode, although the Eska scene was fun too. Asami was conspicuously absent from the episode, tho, but there wasn't much for her to have done anyway so w/e.

Kuvira is railing against hereditary leaders only (i.e. she should have no problem with Raiko). She's saying that the leaders should be leaders because of their abilities and accomplishments, not just because they're related to the preceding leaders. And she does have a point: if she wasn't so villainously ruthless (and now dipping into evil spirit voodoo science or whatever the glowing root's all about), it'd be easy to agree that she'd be a much better leader for the Earth "Kingdom" than Wu. Granted, he'd have advisers or whatever pulling the real strings for him, but that makes you wonder why a figurehead king would be necessary at all: at best it's a waste of money, at worst it's an invitation for another Dai Lee situation.

i guess that's all the toph we're getting this season.

so today we got... what felt like a filler episode, really. focusing on tenzin's kids.

hooray.

honestly i just don't like any of them. i don't get why jinora, who can usually find people's auras or whatever in a second, is suddenly having trouble. just because korra's physically disconnected from the world doesn't mean her spirit should disappear, but whatever

Sometimes the little details in this show are distracting.
Toph saying something important?
Sorry, distracted by the frog with bull horns in the foreground. Cause, you know...it's a bullfrog.

Nabber said:
i guess that's all the toph we're getting this season.

so today we got... what felt like a filler episode, really. focusing on tenzin's kids.

hooray.

honestly i just don't like any of them. i don't get why jinora, who can usually find people's auras or whatever in a second, is suddenly having trouble. just because korra's physically disconnected from the world doesn't mean her spirit should disappear, but whatever

please start closing your spoiler tags at the end, jesus

also

she probably couldn't detect Korra because of the location she was in + her lack of expression of spiritual energy up until the great tree or whatever?

also toph was awesome in this episode so like

Liked this episode. Great to see some development for the kids. Toph is also great. I don't think we've seen the last of her yet.

Nooo Toph, don't go... Although I AM looking forward to Korra reuniting with her friends, so it's not a total loss. I also didn't mind Tenzen's kids in this one, and it was actually a bit of a nice break from all the grown-up/political drama. Part of me wants to say that Korra's disconnect resolved a bit suddenly, but on the other hand, the season's only got a limited number of episodes so they couldn't stretch it out too long, and just because she's got the Mercury out (wonder if Toph catching it in the rock will come back into play somehow) and can enter the Avatar state again doesn't necessarily mean she's completely past her demons. Looking forward to the next episode, as always.

Ghost Jam said:
Sometimes the little details in this show are distracting.
Toph saying something important?
Sorry, distracted by the frog with bull horns in the foreground. Cause, you know...it's a bullfrog.
I totally got distracted by the frog too.

Yeah, I liked the development they gave Ikki and Meelo. Finally, they have actual personalities.

Ok, so the takeaways from the latest episode are that Zaofu is the last city that has not been integrated into the Earth Empire, Suyin presumably wants Kuvira dead, Bolin and Varrick discover the truth about Kuvira's ruthlessness, and Zhu Li decides to devote her life to Kuvira instead of to Varrick. Oh, and we see Asami's dad for the first time since Book 1.

This was a good episode. Good development with Asami and Hiroshi. Also, Kuvira is showing shades of Azula now.

Oh and Zhu Li. Really awesome to see more of her.

Woot, steampunkish mecha fight: blurring the lines between Avatar and anime even more. But yeah, the Zhu Li was definitely the best aspect of the episode; I'm really hoping she's just playing Kuvira with this loyalty pledge. Things are definitely getting nice and complicated - it's hard to say what's going to happen next...

...Didn't really speak about it much before. But the parallels between Kuvira and Hitler are just increasing with every episode.

The only thing they don't really have is (understandably so given the target audience) prejudice against a certain ethnic group. (And well, the murders/genocide that the Nazis did in general)

okay

so varrick suddenly has feelings, since the plot calls for it. okay.

i suddenly realize how much asami's father looks like hayao miyazaki. "you're my greatest creation" well isn't that original

okay kuvira is crazy. her fiancee is crazy.

a+ bo lin speech.

"we'll take this city by force" didn't you just say taking the city by force sends the wrong message?? you didn't even try. what a literal ass

"re-education camp" oh my fucking god

why do they need bo lin in the first place? like if they were planning to attack the city anyway and they figured bo lin might give in to opal it wasn't a really good idea...

alright. korra is literally aang now

why is varrick the first person bo lin confronts

and now for a PACIFIC RIM BATTLE

zhu li/kuvira otp

so uh episode was alright i guess. kuvira is seriously scary

Nabber said:
okay

i suddenly realize how much asami's father looks like hayao miyazaki. "you're my greatest creation" well isn't that original

okay kuvira is crazy. her fiancee is crazy.

a+ bo lin speech.

"we'll take this city by force" didn't you just say taking the city by force sends the wrong message?? you didn't even try. what a literal ass

"re-education camp" oh my fucking god

why do they need bo lin in the first place? like if they were planning to attack the city anyway and they figured bo lin might give in to opal it wasn't a really good idea...

alright. korra is literally aang now

and now for a PACIFIC RIM BATTLE

zhu li/kuvira otp

so uh episode was alright i guess. kuvira is seriously scary

Sometimes people change their perspectives when they are in situations in which they realize they are in over their heads.

It's about as original as everything else in the entire franchise.

She did try. She sent Bolin in there to try and get Suyin to agree to consolidate Zaofu into the empire. That didn't work. Accomplishing her goals and sending the wrong message is more important to her than not accomplishing her goals at all. She made sure she was prepared for what she probably thought was the more likely outcome. What would you have her do, find out that Suyin said no, just say "oh well" and turn around? Failure is not in Kuvira's vocabulary. Failure is something she sees Suyin as doing for failing to step up after the fall of the queen.

She was just covering her bases.

Because Varrick is the only person traveling with Kuvira who he knows.

Calling it now, Zhu Li is just pretending with the whole loyalty thing. I mean, Varrick just saved her life beforehand!

And crap, Kuvira really IS trying to make a superweapon. Guys, superweapons are NEVER a good idea. They'll most likely backfire on you.

Actually, that's one of the rules of the Avatar universe. Don't mess with the spirits. They will end you. Like in TLA Season 1.

I don't know, they got along with Unalaq, and it's technically because of him they have more places in which to live.

Mario4Ever said:
I don't know, they got along with Unalaq, and it's technically because of him they have more places in which to live.
That's because he became friends with Spirit Satan.

Purple Yoshi said:
Calling it now, Zhu Li is just pretending with the whole loyalty thing. I mean, Varrick just saved her life beforehand!

And crap, Kuvira really IS trying to make a superweapon. Guys, superweapons are NEVER a good idea. They'll most likely backfire on you.

Actually, that's one of the rules of the Avatar universe. Don't mess with the spirits. They will end you. Like in TLA Season 1.

I am almost certain Zhu Li is lying. She's playing into Kuvira's ego and is trying to find a way to get rid of that spirit weapon.

Also, it's cool that the vine has the same sound effect as Vaatu's eye beam.

it's most likely that zhu li is lying. but she did have a little eye twitch during that PACIFIC RIM BATTLE

i dunno. i kinda don't want her to be with varrick anyway because he's still... a pretty big jerk, even if he does seem to be improving.

Well, if she fools Kuvira and stops the superweapon and helps to save Varrick, she could use that to get more respect and gratitude. Or she could get a heroic death and force more character development on him that way.

Back