Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra

If you could choose what kind of Bender you'd be. What element would you choose?

• Waterbender

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Earthbender

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Firebender

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Airbender

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Non-Bender

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
So I watched Legend of Korra season 1 back then and pretty much liked it, aside from the ending which felt a bit rushed and deus ex machina-y, and the love triangle which was just awkward. But the rest was neat, especially Lin Beifong who is like, the best character.

Some time after that I watched season 2 and for some reason I couldn't get into that one at all, apart from the two-parter in the middle about the origin of the Avatar spirit, which was neat. The bad aftertaste kind of turned me away from the series as a whole.

Just now I watched season 3 and it was amazing. Blows the second one right out of the water and might even surpass the first one. The story was good, the pacing was good, the villains were good, and generally I was hooked the whole time. Awesome.

I hope the fourth one is gonna be as good as this one.

personally i thought zaheer was the worst villain we've gotten so far

i just found him really bland and boring

the fourth season is the best so far in my opinion, so maybe other people share that sentiment

Well, he's not the best villain in the series. I guess in regards to backstory, season 1 probably had the best one.

For me it's mostly a context kind of thing. Season one and two both had some elements to them that disappointed me, and that didn't happen this season, so I'm able to see the entire thing as good as a whole. The wholesome enjoyment I got out of everything in this elevated the villain for me.

That was great. Turns out, as some people thought, that Zhu Li's been trying to sabotage Kuvira (didn't work too well), we got to see Toph interact with the family (we find out that Lin's dad is named Kanto) and kick some ass, and Republic City's got two weeks before Kuvira attacks. Should be exciting, since the spirits don't want to be exploited like they were during the last attack on the city. Speaking of last attack, I liked Toph's reference to it: "Don't tell Korra, but my back is killing me now. This is why you didn't see Katara messing with that civil war nonsense. At some point, you gotta leave it to the kids."

"The attack is in two weeks." That's handy, cause that's how many weeks worth of episodes we have left.

This episode was great. Seeing Toph with her family was great and we finally learned who Lin's dad is. There was no Toph/Kuvira showdown but it was still great.

Zhu Li was obviously a double agent. Anyone could have seen that coming.

Wooo Zhu Li. Wooooo Toph. I also really liked that dragonish spirit - he had a cool design and made some good points about the spirits not wanting to be weapons, although Korra's cooperation beliefs aren't unreasonable either. Overall, great episode. Good action, good humour, good pacing, and the family drama wasn't heavy-handed.

"at some point you gotta leave it to the kids" didn't stop the original bumi

Walkazo said:
He didn't have any kids to leave it to.
that's because he's better than toph

still pissed that lin's father wasn't sokka

though didn't su have a different father? i can't remember

Yeah, we only know that Kanto is Lin's father. I don't think we know who Suyin's is.

Nabber said:
Walkazo said:
He didn't have any kids to leave it to.
that's because he's better than toph

still pissed that lin's father wasn't sokka

though didn't su have a different father? i can't remember
I don't like the idea of Sokka being Lin's father because that would make Tenzin and Lin cousins, and they dated at one point.

Goddammit ninja'd. Ah well, not rewriting what I said.

I've often wondered if Suyin's dad could be Sokka - she is of a more watertribe-like complexion than her mom or Lin.

Also, Lin couldn't be Sokka's kid because then she and Tenzen would be first-cousins and them dating would have been incestuous, and no way would Nickelodeon go there (much less their parents in-universe). Hell, that's probably why Nick said who it was, just to shut people up.

Walkazo said:

I've often wondered if Suyin's dad could be Sokka - she is of a more watertribe-like complexion than her mom or Lin.

Also, Lin couldn't be Sokka's kid because then she and Tenzen would be first-cousins and them dating would have been incestuous, and no way would Nickelodeon go there (much less their parents in-universe). Hell, that's probably why Nick said who it was, just to shut people up.

Well, it could be a case of slipping crap past the radar. Nickelodeon licences rather have a tradition of slipping in junk that would normally not be allowed, then either letting people who get it laugh or explaining it later, after they can't be punished. So, yeah, I assume they are first cousins, it won't be said in show, but offhandedly mentioned indirectly in another $30 graphic novel a year or two following the end of Korra.

Ghost Jam said:
Walkazo said:

Well, it could be a case of slipping crap past the radar. Nickelodeon licences rather have a tradition of slipping in junk that would normally not be allowed, then either letting people who get it laugh or explaining it later, after they can't be punished. So, yeah, I assume they are first cousins, it won't be said in show, but offhandedly mentioned indirectly in another $30 graphic novel a year or two following the end of Korra.
But then Toph would be lying when she said Lin's dad was some random guy, and it didn't feel like a lie. But you do have a point about them sneaking stuff in. Like all the heaping piles of Korrasami this season, oh yeah. And also Sokka getting lei'd back in the first series - that was amazing.

Walkazo said:
Ghost Jam said:
Walkazo said:

But then Toph would be lying when she said Lin's dad was some random guy, and it didn't feel like a lie. But you do have a point about them sneaking stuff in. Like all the heaping piles of Korrasami this season, oh yeah. And also Sokka getting lei'd back in the first series - that was amazing.

New theory, via the fandom:
http://cheezburger.com/8395329280

It's possible, given that
Toph and Satoru form a partnership at the end of The Rift, which means they have an excuse to spend time together. We'll have to see if and how their relationship changes or advances in the next set of comics.

This episode. My god. Kuvira is literally Hitler.

Did not expect that massive mech. That was quite the oh shit moment. It was also cool to see cameo from older characters. So hyped for the finale.

Baatar Jr. made the most adorbz faces as Korra threatened his happily ever after. Too bad Kuvira's just like "puh-leaz, true evil love is SO last season" - but then too bad for her that she underestimated her ability to kill her erstwhile partner, because he's totes gonna survive and help take down her Bokurano/Pacific Rim/Iron Giant mech (which my bro thinks is made of the Zao Fu dome metal - and I agree).

I liked how Wu continues to be not useless, and the reunion between Zhu Li and Varrick was great: I'm glad it didn't turn into a sappy love reunion because that'd be rather OOC for him, but nope, same ol' Varrick. And nice to see/hear General Iroh again, and the other little cameos were fun.

wu's character development.... feels really forced

it's kinda like "hey, i'm still an asshole, but i kinda know how to lead a country sometimes", and i still find it hard to like him

Oh god, how I hate cliffhangers.

Good to see that Toph is still awesome.

I have to disagree with that bird-dragon spirit thingamabober though: There's a major difference between how Kuvira is doing things and how Korra is doing things. The former harvests spirit energy by force, while the latter actually asks the spirits for their aid, respecting their free will and right of choice. Her request also isn't unreasonable. The spirits are living in the city with the humans not bothering them, so asking them for help with defending their shared home is entirely justified. This makes the spirit's reasoning pretty flimsy and their refusal to get involved comes off as kind of petty.

It's also nice to see Korra getting more moments of being savvy. Her getting into Baatar's head and getting him to break down with psychology was a nice feat.

For some reason I really seem to dislike Meelo this season though. That ego trip he's been on is really annoying and in the earlier season 4 episodes he was in I wanted to strangle him. It sucks that he hasn't gotten any sort of comeuppance for that shit either, and it's probably too late by now.

As for the question of who Suyin's father is, why, it's obviously...
...a man named Johto.

Back