Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra

If you could choose what kind of Bender you'd be. What element would you choose?

• Waterbender

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Earthbender

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Firebender

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Airbender

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Non-Bender

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
I liked it aside from Zaheer going all screaming Scooby-Doo villain once everything was ruined for him. It was completely out of character. A couple side notes. It was nice seeing Kuvira again (a minor character, but one voiced by Zelda Williams). I was unsurprised by the fact that RC's mayor continues to be a dick ("Who will protect us while the Avatar is in a wheelchair?"), but I was surprised by Bolin's lavabending. It wasn't foreshadowed, since his interest was in metalbending, and it being a result of desperation akin to Korra's airbending doesn't make sense. Jinora did look like Aang. I think that was an intentional throwback/parallel (since both deeply care and have taken charge for the Air Nation). I can't wait to find out what everyone will face in book 4.

If you noticed, the theme that played when Jinora got the twister going echoed the original ATLA theme.

In addition, this episode was the 100th of Avatar as a whole. One hundred episodes after Aang's debut, we have a re-emergence of his theme and the emergence of a descendant that looks like the spitting image of him? Not a coincidence.

Contra(dictory) said:
If you noticed, the theme that played when Jinora got the twister going echoed the original ATLA theme.

In addition, this episode was the 100th of Avatar as a whole. One hundred episodes after Aang's debut, we have a re-emergence of his theme and the emergence of a descendant that looks like the spitting image of him? Not a coincidence.
Okay, that's awesome.

So I didn't watch this latest season of TLoK. After last season, I kind of stopped caring after it basically became about Jinora.

Is this season still about Jinora or is it actually worth watching?

Yeah.

Jinora's still a main support character, but it didn't feel nearly as OP or creator's-pet as Season 2, with other characters like Lin getting a nice share of the limelight. Asami was also a properly central character this time, like Mako and Bolin, so that's a major plus too.

GalacticPetey said:
oy vey

Isn't that kind of bad news though? As in Nickelodeon's like "let's get this shit over with" news? Which is kind of what the "lol we're gonna put it online" was anyway.

Now they have time for ~quality programming~ that only sheeple care about such as their stupid live action show about a superhero who washes underwear.

It is kind of bittersweet. More Korra is always a good thing though.

This is gonna be the last season of Korra and the last season of anything Avatar related for a long time. Whether the creators decide to come back to the series later remains to be seen.

jinora plays a big role yet still manages to have no personality

is it going to be like last book where the title has almost nothing to do with the season

Was the entire air nation returning, the city of Ba Sing Se crumbling into chaos, and a secret society of anti-white lotus people not enough change for you?

GalacticPetey said:
Was the entire air nation returning, the city of Ba Sing Se crumbling into chaos, and a secret society of anti-white lotus people not enough change for you?
air nation - an unexplained plot device that didn't really go anywhere
ba sing se - would have been nice if they had any sort of resolution to that plotline? honestly i still don't understand how the death of the queen and the destruction of the walls results in chaos
red lotus - that's not even a change. they've been there for years. that really has nothing to do with change

of course, at the end of the day, the only thing they focused on was the air nation, and that plotline was really just "airbenders are suddenly appearing and we assembled them!" and that was it

You're dealing with a severely opposed civilization that have lived in fear for a lot of their life. If there's no government, there's no control. The people are finally free and they're gonna go nuts. Besides, the issue will probably be dealt with in Book 4. Isn;t that something you had wanted? Plot points carrying over to the next book.

GalacticPetey said:
You're dealing with a severely opposed civilization that have lived in fear for a lot of their life. If there's no government, there's no control. The people are finally free and they're gonna go nuts. Besides, the issue will probably be dealt with in Book 4. Isn;t that something you had wanted? Plot points carrying over to the next book.
I'm reminded of when I pointed out that the Equalist movement shouldn't have dispersed just because Amon died, and someone told me they'd probably deal with it in Book 2.

Plot points carrying over to the next book would be good, but I'm much more concerned with having, you know, well-written arcs with proper conclusions. It's pretty clear by this point that every season is supposed to be self-contained, so I don't think that's going to suddenly change for the last season of the show.

And yeah, if there's no government there's no control, yada yada yada. But let's face it, there's a government already. And of course the Dai Lee. Once the queen dies, the rest of the government would continue acting as they did before she died until they can properly appoint a new leader. Either that, or the Dai Lee would take control of the city. Either way, considering what has happened in the past seasons of this show (and in Avatar), the fall of Ba Sing Se (...again?) doesn't really seem like any more of a change than anything else that has happened.

Maybe the Equalists will turn out to have joined the Red Lotus in season 4. Their goals aren't completely incompatible: they just everyone to be equal and unruled by anyone else, be they benders or the government. Or maybe the Equalists will take the opportunity to pop back up and do their own thing for extra pain-in-the-assery for Korra & co. Who knows.

Nabber said:
air nation - an unexplained plot device that didn't really go anywhere
ba sing se - would have been nice if they had any sort of resolution to that plotline? honestly i still don't understand how the death of the queen and the destruction of the walls results in chaos
red lotus - that's not even a change. they've been there for years. that really has nothing to do with change

of course, at the end of the day, the only thing they focused on was the air nation, and that plotline was really just "airbenders are suddenly appearing and we assembled them!" and that was it
It's easier to see change than to not see change, even without going into in-depth analysis mode: like, it's one of the most generic themes you can have, and it's literally everywhere. You're pretty much actively ignoring it just so you can complain, since that's what you do:

Nabber said:
Mario4Ever said:
You're just finding things to complain about now.
you're right, honestly. complaining about this show is the only thing keeping me interested in it

And in hindsight, I really don't know why I even bothered to type up a response, but whatever, it's done and I'm posting anyway:

Air nation explanation: The opening of the bridge between the spirits (where powers came from) and the material world allowed for the imbalance caused by the genocide of one of the four types of bending to sort itself out. You can actually see this happen in ecological communities after disturbances, although they usually oscillate for a while until the equilibria get reached again, but magic works faster than RL biological processes (surprisingly).

Where does the air nation plot go: people suddenly having powers (pretty big change for them, btw) is not actually 100% a great thing: it's a wild card event that causes problems for folks, most notably when Zaheer can suddenly bend and escapes and sets all the Red Lotus stuff in motion (they've been inactive/lying low/underground for a while, but that's changed now) - and is eventually stopped by a group of the new airbenders working together. Plus, the airbenders will now be nomads again, instead of being temple-dwellers so even within the change of having an air nation again, there's a change from what the old air nation was like (and Tenzen had to change his rigid views on what the air nation should be like, so personal change related to the overall air nation stuff happened there too).

I thought the air nation plot actually fit in with Red Lotus plot pretty smoothly. Plus it allows for an eventual happy ending for the air nation, so I can see why they'd want to do it in the fist place. (While one family could restart it, it'd take a while and any in-nation marriages would always have an incest stigma. Yeah, once you get past first cousins there's not any genetic reasons to avoid inbreeding and royals do it all the time, but still, this is a kids' franchise, and the little kiddies will still think it's weird that descendents of Aang are canoodling should the series ever be renewed for another generation. This way, the writers won't be pigeonholed for that or for having no airbenders in general to work with besides Aang's descendents: it's always a good idea to keep your options open.)

The "Balance" title seems appropriate considering they're wrapping the series up and that's always been the goal of the Avatar and whatnot.

The Equalists still wanted government, they just didn't want bending to be a thing. I feel the Red Lotus would have gone after Amon as well.

Holy shit, I want to watch Amon fight Zaheer now.

GalacticPetey said:
Holy shit, I want to watch Amon fight Zaheer now.

Better yet, why not a Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra fighting game?

If Licensed Games didn't have such a bad track record. This would be so cool (Albeit Legend of Korra I hear is getting a video game for the Xbox One & PS4. No Wii U version though)

Korra is getting a beat-em up developed by Platinum Games (killer devs, by the way) as a downloadable title for PS3, PS4, X360, Xbox One and PC.

Contra(dictory) said:
Korra is getting a beat-em up developed by Platinum Games (killer devs, by the way) as a downloadable title for PS3, PS4, X360, Xbox One and PC.

wow i posted that like

pages ago

and nobody noticed.

heh, oh well yeah that's pretty cool tho

???? ? ?

what is even with the release of these seasons

is this going to be played on nick or are we going to have to watch online again

Back