Wi-Fi

Should Mario Party 9 have online play?

• I say yes. I would use it.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I say no, but I won't mind having online.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I say yes, but I would not use it.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I say no, but if it was put in, I might use it.

• Either I don't want the game, or I don't care.

• Total voters

Mario Super Sluggers

The Baby Fan
I know that I should have posted this in the MP9 thread, but I thought a poll would be easier.

I don't plan on purchasing any Mario spin-off not named Mario Kart, so I wouldn't play MP9 with or without Wi-Fi.

I think the problem with Wi-Fi for a Mario Party game because unlike racing or a Smash Bros. fight. Mario Party games last quite a while. Not everybody has the free time to play a full 20-turn or longer game online.

EDIT: Also I'm sure that alot of games would not finish because they might ragequit after getting ripped off from something like Chance Time or when they realized they can't win. They might disconnect once they know who got the bonus stars.

Yes! This was a major issue with Mario Party 8 in my eyes.
Northern Verve said:
I think the problem with Wi-Fi for a Mario Party game because unlike racing or a Smash Bros. fight. Mario Party games last quite a while. Not everybody has the free time to play a full 20-turn or longer game online.
And unlike those games, Mario Party is turn-based so a game of Mario Party can easily be saved. This feature actually already exists in the games, I think.

As far as Mario Party goes, I remember it always being a party game, even more so than Mario Kart or Smash Bros. Those other games work online, because the focus of them is more the game, rather than the socialization.

Mario Party's strong suite has always been more the party aspect, bringing a group of friends or family members together to play, what more or less amounts to a board game, albeit with a host of wacky mini games.

Board games dont work well online, and online play takes away from the social positives that Mario Party represents.

I wouldnt use online play at all, and dont see a purpose for it in Mario Party. But I suppose someone who has no local friends or family and loads of free time might find a use for it.

Brock said:
I wouldnt use online play at all, and dont see a purpose for it in Mario Party. But I suppose someone who has no local friends or family and loads of free time might find a use for it.
That was just low. As if people can't have friends online or something.

Uniju said:
Brock said:
That was just low. As if people can't have friends online or something.

Not saying people cant have friends online, but I'll admit, it was an intentionally low blow. Just saying that I've always considered Mario Party more of a local social experience, like a board game, where as other online games are more suited to online play. People already call Mario Party boring. I can just imagine what they'd say if they were playing it online.

I say yes. I heard MPDS was planned to have Wi-Fi but was eventually dropped. Though the game length is a bit of a problem. How will the number of turns be chosen? I think they should keep it at 10 or 15. If a player needs to leave, they should be replaced by a normal-difficulty computer player.

DaisyCrazy14 said:
I say yes. I heard MPDS was planned to have Wi-Fi but was eventually dropped. Though the game length is a bit of a problem. How will the number of turns be chosen? I think they should keep it at 10 or 15. If a player needs to leave, they should be replaced by a normal-difficulty computer player.
Per and the like MKW they have a broad vote then they play it.

They could make Party Mode for only friends, while mini-games could be both worldwide/regional and friends. Why? Well, your friends are unlikely to (rage)quit. But knowing Nintendo, they probably wouldn't make it happen. :/ For mini-games, I could only see 4 player and battle mini-games being played, since it'd be complex to choose who'd be on whose team, etc.

I would agree on having WiFi as long as they don't put a blasted time limit for choosing players or no pausing in local multiplayer (yes, I'm looking at you Mario Kart 7). Since it's for a console game, it's highly unlikely.

I wouldn't use WiFi anyway, but having WiFi doesn't hurt.

I don't care for Wi-Fi, but there are some people that are die-hard Wi-Fi junkies.

Back