Sony shamelessly rips of Smash Bros.

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
MarioWiki
SiFi
WHAAAAA?! WHAT IN THE WORLD?! I thought this was just a rumor... Jeez, they must have seen how popular SSB is, and decided to make thier own.

I'm not going to believe it until I see a reputable source, and I'm not going to care until, well, ever. A lot of companies have had crossover fighting games, and even if Nintendo was the only one ever to have done it it would be wrong to fault Sony for making one as well. If nobody ever used ideas other people already used there would never be any progress and a lot of good games would never have been made.

Yoshidude99 said:
Well no one minded when sega did it with Sonic the Fighters

1) Sonic the Fighters was released before Super Smash Bros..
2) Sonic the Fighters isn't too similar to Super Smash Bros.. Just because it's a fighting game, it doesn't make it a Super Smash Bros. ripoff.

Yoshidude99 said:
Then nintendo ripped of Sonic the Fighters first

No. The only thing similar about the two is that they're fighting games. *facepalm*

On topic: I wish I could say I was surprised, but I wasn't.

Meh, not really interested because Sony's lineup of franchises are not nearly as cherished as Nintendo's are. I might rent it sometime if there's at least one character that's worth playing as but otherwise. I don't think so

I don't see why everyone insults Sony sure they have some bad games but they made the Crash Bandicoot series with Naughty Dog and is awesome series

MCD said:
Yoshidude99 said:
Then nintendo ripped of Sonic the Fighters first

No. The only thing similar about the two is that they're fighting games. *facepalm*

On topic: I wish I could say I was surprised, but I wasn't.
coughNewPlaystationControllerscough

Northern Verve said:
Meh, not really interested because Sony's lineup of franchises are not nearly as cherished as Nintendo's are. I might rent it sometime if there's at least one character that's worth playing as but otherwise. I don't think so
Kratos might have been worthwile... If they hadn't already milked the hell out of him in Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.

1: http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=14566.0

2: As I said in the earlier thread, the original source doesn't seem reliable at all. never mind

3: lol @ fanboi rage.

It's kind of funny. Sony jeers at Nintendo while they secretly work on their own copy of Nintendo's successful product. Then they say that they had the idea before and that their game is better. It's disgusting.

I say we boycott Super Smash Bros. for ripping off Capcom; how dare Nintendo make a crossover fighting game when Capcom had already done that numerous times so many years before! It's not like it was a good idea that was crazy and exciting and fun and should be done more often! Honestly, the nerve of Nintendo; I mean, how unoriginal can you get? EVEN MORE REASON TO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS NOT INCLUDING HANAFUDA CARDS!

for a less stupid response:
Glowsquid said:
3: lol @ fanboi rage.
that, basically

The difference is that Sony doesn't really have any first party properties worth a damn. When SEGA made the SEGA Superstars games they were mostly focused on the Sonic series, because Sonic was pretty much the only series they had that the majority would be interested in. Does Sony even have that?

They have plenty of games to feature in a crossover fighting game. Barring differences in taste, they have Uncharted, InFamous, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, just to name a few. The people who say Sony have no franchises or that they aren't any good are clearly biased.

Well, sure Sony has a variety of franchises, but I've actually never seen any games that they actually developed. Also, I don't think a Sackboy would be suitable in a fighting game, but why not. :P.

VfMMx.jpg

Ned Kelly said:
They have plenty of games to feature in a crossover fighting game. Barring differences in taste, they have Uncharted, InFamous, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Twisted Metal, LittleBigPlanet, Valkyria Chronicles, just to name a few. The people who say Sony have no franchises or that they aren't any good are clearly biased.

Yes, but the casual gamers are still much more likely to pick up a game with Mario fighting Pikachu than they are a game with Sackboy fighting Daxter.

Seriously though, are people really being butthurt about a game company making a fighter game based off their characters? It's not like Nintendo's the first/only one to do it.

Pinkie Pie said:
Well, sure Sony has a variety of franchises, but I've actually never seen any games that they actually developed.
That's what first and second-party development teams are for!

Pinkie Pie said:
Also, I don't think a Sackboy would be suitable in a fighting game, but why not. :P.
I don't think R.O.B. would be suitable in a fighting game. I don't think Phoenix Wright would be suitable in a fighting game. But we did it anyway. And it was worth it.

SiFi said:
Yes, but the casual gamers are still much more likely to pick up a game with Mario fighting Pikachu than they are a game with Sackboy fighting Daxter.
Now you're just splitting hairs; I think you underestimate the popularity of Sony's franchises. Actually, what's your point again? Because I'm sure your actual point was stating that Sony were ripping off an idea from Nintendo that, by your logic, was ripping off Capcom.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
Seriously though, are people really being butthurt about a game company making a fighter game based off their characters? It's not like Nintendo's the first/only one to do it.
Exactly my point! Thank you so much.

Back