The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread

Dragon Ball Super is over. What did you think of it?

• Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disliked it

• Hated it

• Total voters
I like Battle of Gods more because it shakes up the formula moreso son that Resurrection F. While Freeza is phenomenal in that movie, it kinda feels like a standard Z film. BoG was a lot more fresh.

Then again, Piccolo has more to do in Resurrection F. At least he doesn't die unlike in the DBS version of the Freeza film where he dies for no reason and is wished back off screen.

So is Super any good? I've heard mixed things about it, like "zomg that SSG ascension scene is awesome" and "fucking hell they turned Beerus into a generic villain instead of a goofy catman with a mean streak". Idk what to make of it.

GalacticPetey said:
I like Battle of Gods more because it shakes up the formula moreso son that Resurrection F. While Freeza is phenomenal in that movie, it kinda feels like a standard Z film. BoG was a lot more fresh.

Then again, Piccolo has more to do in Resurrection F. At least he doesn't die unlike in the DBS version of the Freeza film where he dies for no reason and is wished back off screen.

idk i just really liked resurrection f, maybe because frieza is one of my favorite villains, but i felt like it had great moments. Both are great though and i do appreciate beerus and whiss quite a bit, great characters.

Dr. Alphys said:
So is Super any good? I've heard mixed things about it, like "zomg that SSG ascension scene is awesome" and "fucking hell they turned Beerus into a generic villain instead of a goofy catman with a mean streak". Idk what to make of it.
It's kinda hard to say.

It definitely has some flaws. Part of that comes from the first 27 episodes being retellings of the last two movies. There are definitely some big changes, mostly with how the fight with Beerus goes and a whole plot thread about Ginyu but it is basically a story we've already seen. Then there's the problem of the art and animation. Super is on a very rushed schedule and at times the characters can look really bad. I'm sure you've seen the stills from one of the earlier episodes. Should be easy to find if you haven't. The original show definitely had times where the characters looked off, but it made up for that with some pretty detailed character art at other times.

Some also take issue with the fact that it's kinda turning into the "Goku and Vegeta show", which was already kinda happening by the Boo saga. They're getting the most limelight and the rest are kinda cast to the side. It's especially annoying when you're favorite character is Piccolo. Power levels and scaling are also pretty inconsistent at times but that's not exactly new.

The show definitely has some good aspects though. The story gets much more engaging when the new content starts and the tournament arc is pretty fun, even if some characters are shafted pretty heavily in favor of the saiyans. The new characters are fun and the last battle of the tournament gets pretty fun. The current Trunks arc has been the most engaging so far. Black is fun villain so far, despite my initial distaste for the evil Goku concept.

If you're not super adamant about seeing everything I would say read up on the two arcs based on the movies to see what changed and then jump in at episode 28 when the new content starts. Go back and watch the earlier episodes if you're interested. Not sure how much you care but it's only subbed right now. For some people that's a turn off, so I just thought I'd mention it.

As for that remark about Beerus, I see where it's coming from. There were definitely times in the BoG arc where he was a bit harsher than how he was in the film. Honestly, it seems to be the opposite problem now. Sometimes it feels like Beerus and Whis are just there for comic relief and to gush over food. It's taking what was a character trait and turning it into their whole character.

I see. That sounds very disheartening considering my favorite character happens to be Piccolo.

I am accustomed to subbed anime, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I guess I'll give it a watch and see what it's all about.

Eh. As a Piccolo fan I've gotten used to the fact he hasn't been relevant since the Cell saga. At the very least he's still one of the smartest and insightful fighters so he can at still provide information as to what's going on as opposed to other characters who just sit and gape in awe at Goku's power.

Ok, so I tried watching the Battle of Gods saga and gave up somewhere around Beerus shooting a hole in Goku's chest because the pacing was pretty horrendous. So I just rewatched the movie (+ the Freeza one) and jumped ahead to episode 28.

The Champa saga was a lot better, with good, swift pacing and an interesting story, and I pretty much enjoyed it.

Two things though:

I don't really understand Beerus' point of bringing in Monaka. Like, I get the whole idea of introducing someone stronger to motivate Goku and Vegeta to improve, but... there already are people who serve that purpose: Beerus and Whis. The sayans don't really need a new guy because they've already been striving to surpass the characters that are already there. In light of that, entering Monaka in the tournament just comes off as Beerus sabotaging himself for no gain whatsoever.

And also: Hit's ability is just plain stupid. No, I don't mean the time leap one, that one is ok (initially). What I mean is his ability to just... decide to get stronger. Like, what the fuck. He's just like "until now I've never thought to get stronger, but now that you're kicking my ass, I guess it'd be a good idea", and suddenly his time leap ability is five times as potent. Dragon Ball has always been notorious for its character strength-escalation and power-ups for silly reasons, but this is honestly a whole new league of ridiculous. How do you even defeat a guy who can increase his power by deciding it is a good idea to have more power? I was into the fight until that nonsense happened, then I was pretty much just "yeah, please wrap this up already".

Other than that last point though, the saga was pretty good.

Except for Frost being revealed as an asshat, that one was kinda meh too.

Hit's ability is pretty dumb. The time skip itself is a cool ability but just getting stronger like that was dumb. The fight did give us Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-Ken which made me feel like a little kid again. Fun stuff.

Piccolo was also robbed of his victory. He was gonna win but Frost had to be a cheater. Then Vegeta kinda just tells him to stay out so he can fight Frost instead. Vegeta seems to be having some pent up aggression against Freeza's race as a whole

Speaking of Super Cyan + Kaioken times ten...

I'm aware that power levels are kinda wonky and wibble wobble all over the place, but: In BoG, Beerus allegedly used 70% of his full power, and SSG Goku was able to reasonably keep up with him. I don't know how strong SSB is compared to SSG, but since afaik SSB is the equivalent of a SSG going super sayan, it's probably stronger.

By using the kaioken times ten, the user's power increases tenfold. So... if Goku can push Beerus to 70% while using an inferior form, then, using a stronger form together with that huge power multiplier, the SSB kaioken combo should logically make Goku stronger than Beerus.

Shenanigans?

You'd think they'd just stop attaching numerical values to their strength levels and techniques, since it only ever bites them in the ass in some form.

But nope.

Mrs. Briefs has eyes!?!?!?

Trunks' hair was always supposed to match Bulma's. She had violet hair in the manga and the anime turned it blue but Trunks got to keep it violet in Z. But I looked into this a little more and present Trunks is still violet? Man you could've just changed Bulma's hair color back and there'd be a little ruckus but it'd settle down reasonably quickly and then they'd have that kind of consistency going on for them.

They probably didn't want to retcon Bulma just because she's been in the anime longer than Trunks has. I would like to have her hair match her manga coloration but I guess it just made more sense to retcon Future Trunks rather than Bulma.

That does not explain Kid Trunks though. Unless this is just the result of timeline differences, which would be dumb.

Well, even with Bulma's hair being blue in the show, it wasn't really necessary to retcon Trunks. His and Dr. Brief's hair colors are fairly similar, so it could very well just have been the hair color leaping over one generation. It happens.

And the fact that the kid version and the future version aren't consistent is just kinda silly. Is one of them dyeing? And if so: Which one? Future Trunks is very pragmatic, he doesn't really seem the type. Although that would be funny (in a silly and really dumb way), him being on the run from an unstoppable villain bent on killing everyone he loves, but still finding the time to do his hair.

So maybe Kid Trunks is the one with the dye-job. But then again he already had the lavender hair when he was a baby and... aaaaahhh, I think I'm caught in a loop.

Wait, I got it! It's half-breed shenanigans! Turns out that being half-human really fucks up your sayan hair (which is supposed to be special) and makes it grow darker with age. Eventually, Trunks' head will turn into a black hole. That's how Black Goku will be defeated: He will be absorbed by Trunks' hair.

That kinda went off the rails.

you see when trunks are born its rng whether its blue or lavender

Sooo I was reading youtube comments earlier (and I think it gave me brain damage, and it gave me brain damage), but I also saw a question about reviving Grandpa Gohan with the Dragonballs and the one-year resurrection time limit was brought up.

And I remembered that, yeah, that was a thing. You can't revive someone who's been dead for longer than a year.

So how the hell did they revive Freeza? Did the time limit get removed when Dende took over?

From VegettoEX
This kind of wish is where a lot of misconceptions come from.

It seems that with the Shenlong we first see as created by the God of Earth, you can indeed wish back a large number of people. However, God specifically says:

"Why do you ask? Are you intending to bring back to life all the aliens killed in the past by Vegeta and co.? That should be possible too of course, but it would only be effective for those who died within one year."

Yeah, you can bring a whole bunch of people back, but it's going to be restricted to those who died within the last year. The common interpretation from here when you extrapolate that all out is that you can probably bring someone back to life if they died longer than a year ago, but your wish is going to need to be more specific and more focused than something so grand like the big one there.

A lot of people generally say that one of the rules is that you can't bring someone back if they've been dead longer than a year, but - as you can see - that's never explicitly stated.

From the sound of it:
Revive one person: No limit
Revive many people: One year limit

Grandpa Gohan said he doesn't want to be resurrected because there are lots of nice ladies in the afterlife. Shenlong can't do anything about people like that, as Goku demonstrated at the end of the Cell saga. There's also the fact that it was up to Freeza's minions to put him back together post-resurrection, so Gohan would probably come back as a squish or something.

I just re-read the part of the manga where Goku is brought back to life after the fight against Raditz. I did that because I could have sworn that Oolong or someone suggested wishing for the Sayans to be dealt with, but that they couldn't actually do that because then Goku's time would run out and he'd stay dead.

But it turns out that's not what happens. Shenlong just says he can't deal with the sayans because they're more powerful than him. Idk where I got the idea.

Dr. Alphys said:
I just re-read the part of the manga where Goku is brought back to life after the fight against Raditz. I did that because I could have sworn that Oolong or someone suggested wishing for the Sayans to be dealt with, but that they couldn't actually do that because then Goku's time would run out and he'd stay dead.
You're probably thinking of the King Piccolo saga, where the plan was "ask Shenlong to defeat Piccolo and wait another year to bring back Krillin" and Oolong was like "it'd be too late by then he'd be all decomposed" and Bulma's like "not if I put him in one of my handy science freezers that I haven't invented yet but will probably take half a minute ;D"

That is a fair point. When they resurrected Freeza, he came back in the condition his body was in when he died. Which was a bunch of little pieces. We can't have decomposed zombie Krillin, now can we? I think they even mention Chiaotzu getting a new body in the afterlife after he blew up. I guess Tenshinhan got a new hand as well.

GalacticPetey said:
Oh man, I can already taste the salt from the whiny Gohan fanboys after this past episode.

Kind of uncalled for, there.

Back