Oh PETA

I personally don't see what's wrong with PETA besides the fact they pretty much made this up (Mario gets the suit by touching a leaf).

Paper Yoshi said:
I personally don't see what's wrong with PETA besides the fact they pretty much made this up (Mario gets the suit by touching a leaf).

Actually thats just the raccoon tail. Theyre talking about the tanooki suit which you get from grabbing some tanooki thing that bounces around

What's kinda worse is that PETA does have followers that believe the sort of shit they report about. They won't ever disappear because of this and they'll go for some random popular thing to try to get it boycott if it at all seems like there's animal abuse. Even if it's not actual hurting real life animals.

It's just stupid that people still follow them after stunts like dressing up as the KKK to protest a dog show.

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
Paper Yoshi said:

Actually thats just the raccoon tail. Theyre talking about the tanooki suit which you get from grabbing some tanooki thing that bounces around
I see what you're talking about, but I was referring to Super Mario 3D Land. The Super Leaf replaced the Tanooki Suit.

I thought mentioning SM3DL instead of the 23-year-old Super Mario Bros. 3 would make more sense.

Paper Yoshi said:
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
Paper Yoshi said:

I see what you're talking about, but I was referring to Super Mario 3D Land. The Super Leaf replaced the Tanooki Suit.

I thought mentioning SM3DL instead of the 23-year-old Super Mario Bros. 3 would make more sense.

guess it does, i dont know much about sm3ds

Paper Yoshi said:
Propeller Toad said:
Let us not forget about the many creatures that were stomped underneath Mario's foot in SMB or mice that were blown up (SMB2). Wouldn't Donkey Kong's abuse from the original Donkey Kong arcade games be something to talk about as well? :P

So indeed, why now?
Exactly. PETA could've done this basically anytime since Donkey Kong was released. They must be out of items in their to-do list.

Mario4Ever said:
Nintendo: Abusing animals since 1981
Abusing mulberry trees since 1889

Screw PETA, they're incredibly hypocrites and do more harm to their own cause then good.

Also, why react now, when this has been known to the public since this summer?

I find it quite interesting that they do this right before the launch of the game in America. Perhaps they don't want the game or the 3DS to sell? I guess PETA aren't Nintendo fans, are they? :-\

Anyways, they had over 25 years to do something about Mario, and I agree that doing it now was just odd.

I agree with a lot of you, it'd be nice if PETA was actually doing something constructive like making an attempt to NOT kill all the animals they "rescue" instead of protesting an obviously harmless game.

Every post you make means PETA has won. They're not doing this because they honestly think that Mario advocates the torture of tanukis, they're doing this because any publicity is good publicity. And every time you post you are keeping this topic active and that means they're winning.

And as long as I'm making this post I might as well say that they actually did win when they got a response from Nintendo.

Well, Nintendo always is sensitive about these kinds of things and tries their hardest not to insight controversy. So while other gaming companies would brush off this kind of thing, it seems obvious that Nintendo will address it.

That said, I just realize how much it SUCKS that PETA is getting away with this shit. :mad:

I am a deep believer in other animal's rights as well, but I think this is just plain doo-doo. Do have anything other to do than to pick on a fictional game where no harm was intended? My answer: Probably not. How about Halloween? What are they going to do about that? Mario wearing a Tanooki Suit is more analogous to kids wearing costumes of other animals IMO

Their lack of imagination disturbs me.

Baby Luigi said:
I am a deep believer in other animal's rights as well, but I think this is just plain doo-doo. Do have anything other to do than to pick on a fictional game where no harm was intended? My answer: Probably not. How about Halloween? What are they going to do about that? Mario wearing a Tanooki Suit is more analogous to kids wearing costumes of other animals IMO

Their lack of imagination disturbs me.

I'm personally amused by their timing.

My reaction:

WAT.

This is as ridiculous as those religious zealots who think Pokemon is bad for you.

Ornithologist Mario said:
My reaction:

WAT.

This is as ridiculous as those religious zealots who think Pokemon is bad for you.

This.

Someone made a comic about those religious people. The kid plays with his blocks and builds stuff and the religion guy says its cute. he's playing minecraft and building stuff 5 years later and he says he's playing a demons game and that he should repent for being a sinner.

I lol'd

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
why are they wasting time doing stuff like this when theres some pretty crazy cruelty to farm animals

Offtopic, but have you seen the 'Farm to Fridge' documentary? That's some f'd up shite there.

This one guy claims that, through an e-mail with PETA, they don't really care about the Tanooki Suit:

http://www.screwattack.com/news/exclusive-peta-allegedly-just-pretending-care-about-tanooki-suit

"PETA doesn't actually care about the Tanooki suit in the game. We just want people to play our parody and learn about the fur issue. But in order to be legally allowed to make the parody, we have [to] say we care about the original game's message. It's all about getting the message out in any way possible."

Well, yeah, that's find learning about the fur issue, but leave Nintendo out of it, ESPECIALLY when you don't really have an issue with them! Seriously, it doesn't matter what message you're trying to present, if you use dirty tactics, then people are going to look down on you AND your goals.

Crackin355 said:
Someone made a comic about those religious people. The kid plays with his blocks and builds stuff and the religion guy says its cute. he's playing minecraft and building stuff 5 years later and he says he's playing a demons game and that he should repent for being a sinner.
Hypocritical religious guy. O:.

Back