I just beat __

Super Mario Odyssey

Collected every power moon and bought every regular (non-special) outfit. I'll consider that a 100%.

Mario Tennis Aces (Switch)

Beat Adventure Mode, with all missions completed except for the ones on the Island of Trials (which I plan to do soon). I actually broke Lucien before the final battle, and yet somehow he came back. It was pretty easy save for a few missions, but the Island of Trials should pose more of a challenge when I get around to playing it.

Fate/Extra

thank god for save states and x2 speed. It was a nice game but very slow and the gameplay was just... who really thought Rock-Paper-Scissors is an okay battle system. It was more of a pain because I chose Caster who has low defense and died after 3 mistakes. By the end of the game enemy skills would just OHKO her, although there were stuns and skills I could use to avoid those. I think using save states to get perfect rounds and avoid ohko's was more fun than what the actual game would have been.

It was nice of Buddha to show up and be the final boss. real cool of him to do that.

Kid Icarus: Uprising. I started that savefile after I got the game as a Christmas present in 2014, so it was about time I actually finished it. Great fun, love the characters and the humour. I struggled with the first stages of the final boss but the later stages traded the difficulty for sheer epicness, so beating it was immenseley satisfying.

Yooka-Laylee

100% completed the following worlds...

1: Tribalstack Tropics
2: Moodymaze Marsh

I also managed to defeat I.N.E.P.T. (the game's fourth boss), whom from what I've heard, received an infamous reputation for being a rather cruel boss to deal with.

header.jpg

Circuits

This premise of the game is simple: a music track is played, and you need to place samples of music into empty slots so that the music matches the played track. While it certainly sounds simple, the game gets a bit more complex later, where there is even an option to loop a sample or later on, select a branched track and loop a series of samples. Fortunately there is one point in the game where you can switch between layers, which would make identifying the samples easier. Later levels however, removed this feature because I guess it would have been pretty easy otherwise. The game however, has a pretty good hint system because some samples sound to similar to one another, and the checking system allows one to identify the mistakes more easily.

While this game is designed for headphones, being essentially a musical matching game, I didn't use the headphones so I wasn't able to get the intricacies of the music track.

There's nothing much that could be said about this game, since it's pretty simple so nothing much else goes on with it (and it's short).

Thank you for reading.

The original Super Mario Bros. (Virtual Console on 3DS). I played this game SO much during my childhood but it's still great. Since one can make savepoints on the virtual console I didn't play it one sitting, but still more condensed over a shorter span of time than I usually play games, which was pretty neat. The worlds feel cohesive and offered some variety even though each level on its own isn't the most memorable as far as Super Mario levels go. I don't know whether the difficulty notably goes up around world 5 or if it's just because I usually made it to around world 4 when I played as a kid, but I was actually surprised by just how effortless the first four worlds felt for me this time around until that point where it became considerably more of a challenge. Anyhow, it's always a joy to play and this was the first time I played all of the game from beginning to end on my own, so that felt satisfying too.

the first 3 spyros

YPn7v0d.png

id say 1 > 2 > 3 because fuck skateboarding in 3 and fuck the camera in 2

Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, although I would never in a million years have been able to do it without some... generous use of the savepoint function. Even so it was challenging, but a lot of fun and very satisfying to finish. I didn't use any warp pipe so I got the ninth world too, which I adored so much I went through it twice in a row.

Kligma said:
Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels, although I would never in a million years have been able to do it without some... generous use of the savepoint function. Even so it was challenging, but a lot of fun and very satisfying to finish. I didn't use any warp pipe so I got the ninth world too, which I adored so much I went through it twice in a row.
Good luck beating the game seven more times...

King Dedede said:
Kligma said:

Yeah nah, that's never gonna happen. I called it a day and watched playthroughs of those worlds on Youtube instead.

King Dedede said:
Kligma said:

This is probably why the Super Mario All-Stars version is not quite as difficult as the original Famicom version; you only have to do one full playthrough to reach worlds A-D.

MnSG said:
King Dedede said:
Kligma said:

This is probably why the Super Mario All-Stars version is not quite as difficult as the original Famicom version; you only have to do one full playthrough to reach worlds A-D.
I'm thinking the change was made for Japanese players of the original so they didn't have to beat the game eight more times after already doing so on the original, whereas for Western players who couldn't have played the original, it made the unlock method for Worlds A-D much more forgiving.

Kirby Star Allies

Completed the Infernal Crisis difficulty in The Ultimate Choice. I was using Daroach, and my allies were Susie, King Dedede, and Adeleine.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate's Classic Mode on 9.9 with Peach and King K. Rool and gained at least 2 million points with both. Now I just have Donkey Kong and Piranha Plant left.

Super Mario Bros. (Switch)

Beat this game at long last. The game was quite difficult, especially with World 7 and its cheap level designs. I did not warp, save scum, or use a 1-Up trick of any kind. I did, however, use the secret continue function. As in, I very heavily relied on it. Even with that, though, completing this game was no small feat. Besides, even though I relied on the secret continue feature so much, I finally saw why the life system is outdated. I had to endure many cheap and difficult levels, only to immediately encounter another cheap or difficult level, die on it, and be forced to redo the first one. I'll complete the game again in Hard Mode under the same conditions, and after that I'll try it on Normal Mode with warping but without continues.

Kirby Star Allies

I've recently conquered the Soul Melter difficulty in The Ultimate Choice, and it was my first attempt as well. I was playing as Susie, and my allies were Daroach, King Dedede, and Adeleine.

Some of the bosses did threaten my remaining health, but at least Adeleine's Al Fresco helped to restore health so that I didn't have to resort to using the small tomatoes at the rest area; I had to try to save them until I've reached the Soul Melter version of Void Termina.

220px-Wario%27s_Woods_NES.jpg

Wario's Woods (NES) via NES - Nintendo Switch Online

The condition that I have beaten this game is to beat every level from 1 - 99 in both Round Game A and Round Game B, and also getting Gold in Time Race.
Dx3LyFTUYAAuU1_.jpg
Dx3LyFVU0AAJvni.jpg
Dx3LyFUUwAAqri7.jpg

The basic gist is that all are single player, with something to set each other apart:
  • Round Game A: Basic round game where you clear all the monsters each round.
  • Round Game B: Similar to Round Game A, except every round that ends with a "9" is a boss battle where you use line explosions to defeat bosses.
  • Time Race: Clear the level as fast as you can between multiple rounds, and you get a rank (Gold, Silver, Bronze, none) depending on the accumulated time.

So if you don't know about this game, the fundamental gameplay of Wario's Woods is that you destroy coloured monsters with 3+ in a row (horizontal, vertical and diagonal) with like-coloured bombs, as long as you have a bomb in the line. It's basically like Dr. Mario in this respect as viruses need a like-coloured vitamin to be cleared. The big difference is that you are controlling a character in a grid, so said character have to move around and carry the monsters/bombs so that lines can be formed. Oh, and Toad is the sole playable character in this game.

The game is not that easy, though. At the start of the round, Birdo will be present, representing a round of peace. In this case, only bombs will fall, which means that it's a matter of blasting the monsters. However, the gauge will slowly fill, and once it's filled, Wario runs the show. This is the tough part because when Wario's around, monsters will fall in addition to bombs, and because of that, the screen fills faster. To make things worse, Wario will occasionally cause the play field to be reduced, which makes it more likely for the player to lose. This lasts until the gauge is filled, making Birdo the focus again. To combat this, chaining is encouraged, as they reduce the gauge during Birdo's round while increasing it in Wario's round.

There are several difference between the NES and the SNES version, but if you ask me, the SNES version is better by a mile. Besides the improved graphical quality and the sound quality, the SNES version has a VS Com mode, which is pretty fun. Moreover, the Round Game (matching Round Game A in the NES version) allows you to continue from levels past 100, which is really good because level 100 is very difficult, compared to a few rounds after that. In terms of a fundamental gameplay change, diamonds cannot be carried around. Diamonds basically clear all monsters of that colour if you line it up, so the SNES version is naturally more fluid in its gameplay. The only thing the NES version has over the SNES is the Round Game B, with its unique take on boss battles. The unfortunate thing is that the superior version has never had a rerelease, nor is the gameplay of Wario's Woods replicated in its entirety (Brain Age: Concentration Training is the closest, but it's very different due to a lack of an on-screen character and its usage of touch screen).

I do wish we have a new game of this vein though, as I felt this is a very fun game marred by its lack of reiteration, unlike Dr Mario and Puzzle League. Heck, even Yoshi's Cookie has a reiteration on Nintendo Puzzle Collection! I am OK if it's not called Wario's Woods as long as the game is still the same. The game could even be named after Captain Toad for all I care, which would fit him since there's no jumping (except running on walls), and there are diamonds which Captain Toad likes to collect.

Thank you for reading.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

I beat World Of Light, but not in my save file. I was playing in my little brother's account, because he has the most progress (I mean he has Greninja, who's now my #1 main). So I got the bad ending where Galleem redestoys everything. I googled the Darkhon bad ending, and it's pretty creepy. I also saw how I get the good ending. If you don't wanna get spoiled, then immediately close the spoiler tag.

In the last map, you can help Darkhon or Galleem. But if you balance the amount of light and dark spirits you fight, there will be a passage in the middle and you'll fight both Darkhon and Galleem and then get the good ending.

But I will attempt to get every character before getting THE ending.

Kirby Star Allies

Recently completed Heroes in Another Dimension, with 103/120 hearts collected. The boss fights sure were more intimidating than what The Ultimate Choice's Soul Melter difficulty level offered.

winstein said:
The condition that I have beaten this game is to beat every level from 1 - 99 in both Round Game A and Round Game B, and also getting Gold in Time Race.

Hey what times did you get?

My save sits at 4:23 for bronze, 8:09 for silver and 15:24 for gold

I feel like I've completely finished this game because I once played through rounds 100-200 and began to recognize the way the matches started was on a 20 round loop

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
winstein said:

Hey what times did you get?

My save sits at 4:23 for bronze, 8:09 for silver and 15:24 for gold

I feel like I've completely finished this game because I once played through rounds 100-200 and began to recognize the way the matches started was on a 20 round loop

I got 4:10 for Easy, 8:06 for Normal and 14:43 for Hard. Granted, I used Suspend Points between rounds, so maybe it's not reflective of a real player's skill.

Thank you for reading.

Kirby Star Allies

Completed Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! as The Three Mage-Sisters, and fully completed Heroes in Another Dimension; all 120 hearts have been found.

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam (Nintendo 3DS)

It's been a couple of years since my first playthrough of Paper Jam and I think I enjoyed it a little bit more this time, considering that my save file for this current run has Mario, Luigi and Paper Mario all at level 41 whereas my first save file had them all at level 30 when I defeated Shiny RoboBowser. The bosses were pretty easy the second time around, though I'm still not the biggest fan of the Papercraft battles.

Back