Name any memories of Pokemon.

I always name my rival Liam because that was the kid that got me into Pokemon about 3-4 years ago.

Good times.

In the final boss of Pokemon Red, all but one of my Pokemon were down. The same was with my rival, so whoever's Pokemon fainted next lost. My last Pokemon was very weak, and would have fainted with one more shot. My rival's Pokemon attacked and... he missed. That allowed me to attack his Pokemon, and I defeated it. I would never have won the game at that time if that Pokemon didn't miss!

Mariomario64 said:
Don't you just love it when you come out and win for no reason like that?

It's times like that where you need to pay close attention to the accuracy of your Pokemon's attacks. Anything below 100% has the chance to miss, but certain items and moves can alter those odds.

Speaking of which, I've recalled using Zap Cannon 5 times in Pokemon Stadium 2, and ALL of them missed.

The problem with Pokemon Yellow is that Pikachu is your starter, and the first gym leader has all rock Pokemon. Well, when I first started Pokemon Yellow, my Pikachu was worthless for that reason (electric attacks do almost nothing on rock Pokemon). I had to rely on a weak Pidgey to defeat the rock Pokemon. The only reason I won was because I used sand attack on the Pokemon a lot, so those rock Pokemon could hardly ever hurt me!

Fawfulfury65 said:
The problem with Pokemon Yellow is that Pikachu is your starter, and the first gym leader has all rock Pokemon. Well, when I first started Pokemon Yellow, my Pikachu was worthless for that reason (electric attacks do almost nothing on rock Pokemon). I had to rely on a weak Pidgey to defeat the rock Pokemon. The only reason I won was because I used sand attack on the Pokemon a lot, so those rock Pokemon could hardly ever hurt me!

The truth is, however, the reason why Pikachu couldn't do much to the first gym leader is due to the fact that Brock's Rock-types were also part Ground-type. Rock-types take neutral damage from Electric-type attacks.

Defeating Brock in Pokemon Yellow was always one of the hardest parts in the game if you ask me. I remember that one would need to actually prepare a good team in order to defeat Brock as the only thing Pikachu can really do is either Tail Whip/Growl or use Quick Attack if you get the Pokemon to that high enough of a level.

I usually had Pikachu alongside Pidgey, Rattata, and the two Nidorans whenever I went against Brock. I would generally just have each of them do as much damage as they could. I remember that Nidoran's Horn Attack was very useful as it could actually do some decent damage (though Double Kick was even better).

I'm pretty sure that it was this battle that gave me a bigger respect for rock type Pokemon. Also MnSG, you say that they were part ground type? Very interesting as this is probably the reason why electric moves had no effect on Brock's Pokemon. I never realized this before...

Yes, Ground-types have always been immune to Electric-type attacks. If you use Thunderbolt on Aerodactyl, it will deal super effective damage to it, because the Rock-type is not immune to Electric-type moves; Rock x1, Flying x2. Whereas, a Thunderbolt on Quagsire will do absolutely nothing; Water x2, Ground x0.

Oddly, Larvitar and Pupitar are both immune to Electric-type attacks, while Tyranitar is not. However, Tyranitar is immune to Psychic-type attacks, which is something that Larvitar and Pupitar lack.

Remember, anything multiplied by zero is always zero.

Oh no, I am aware that ground types are immune to electric type moves. I just did not realize that Brock's Pokemon were part ground type in the original games.

I remember seeing Ho-Oh in the first episode of the anime and having no idea what it was until Silver, in which I never found Lugia.

Propeller Toad said:
Oh no, I am aware that ground types are immune to electric type moves. I just did not realize that Brock's Pokemon were part ground type in the original games.

Well, for a small hint, Water and Grass attacks do quadruple (x4) damage to Geodude and Onix. If they were pure Rock-types (like Sudowoodo), they'd only take doubled damage, but they'd not have an Electric-type immunity, and they'd be less resistant to Poison-type attacks.

MnSG said:
Fawfulfury65 said:

The truth is, however, the reason why Pikachu couldn't do much to the first gym leader is due to the fact that Brock's Rock-types were also part Ground-type. Rock-types take neutral damage from Electric-type attacks.
Oh. I guess I need to learn more about that kind of stuff.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Oh. I guess I need to learn more about that kind of stuff.

Don't worry about it. Most 1st generation Rock-types were part Ground-type, which may have lead to the confusion that Rock-types can't be harmed by Electric-type moves; even the anime made that incorrect statement during the 1st season. The only Rock-types that weren't part Ground-type were the fossil Pokemon, and oddly enough, all of the 1st generation fossil Pokemon were weak against Electric-type moves.

I remember always using a Butterfree on Brock in Yellow. Which, looking back, was still not a good choice because Rock is super effective, but Confusion was about the only move I could use at that point without it being not very effective.

Yoshidude99 said:
Mariomario64 said:
In Pokemon Gold a theif steals a pokemon and you have to battle him but you lose. Then you get to name him and I called him stupid
i believe you're talking about Silver?

140px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Silver.png

I called him Silver. But I called Barry in Diamond Gary.

I remember many things:

Playing pokemon blue with my brother and how happy I was when we caught mewtwo

I used to think flying was weak to fire

I used to memorize every pokemon themesong up until the second one in season four

My first pokemon card. A holofoil dragonite my brother gave to me. I still cherish it.

Making up over 1000 pokemon. I only wrote down 200 that were good, but when I was little... you know how birds are sometimes M's in the background? I drew an M like that with a thin v in the middle (the beak) and forget what I called it, but that was a bird pokemon I made up.

Back