Development for new Super Smash Bros. begins this month

...you really think that Toad would be in? Or is it more possible that he will appear as Peach's B move again.

I think that Toad actually has a strong chance of making it in this time. People are just underrating his chances. :P Look at the recent evidence we've had. Toad has essentially been revived in NSMB Wii (after all he was a playable character and that game will definitely receive representation in SSB4 considering how successful it is). Additionally, Toad is getting more important in the recent games as well (Mario 3D Land as well). He has also been confirmed in more games since.

Also look at the evidence. On the Melee Japanese poll, Toad was fourth in line for requested Mario characters (after Bowser, Peach, and Wario), and those three made it in by Brawl (Wario might have been considered a Mario rep so that is why we did not get another Mario character). In the Brawl poll, Toad was the second most requested. Also, we must note that Toad has been in the Mario series since the beginning, and is the only playable character from the mainstream Mario games to not be playable in Smash as of yet (2 games with possibly more coming).

As for Peach's B move arguement, there are many ways to get over that. Toadsworth, Perry the Parasol, Peachs's vibes, etc. can replace Toad as Peach is not in a desperate search to finding moves as she did at the time prior to Melee.

If you want to see my reasons for Toad's inclusion + moveset, see this thread. I will be updating it shortly:

http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=12714.0

New Super Mario said:
Can't wait! But 4 years? I'll be 16 or 17 by then

So? I'll be 22/23 then :lol:

And I'm fine with 4 years. As long as they use it to make one awesome game. Use all the time they can get (Though of course I wouldn't wish a Vapor ware length like Duke Nukem Forever suffered... but I don't think that will happen)

I would be 20/21 :P

Propeller Toad said:
...you really think that Toad would be in? Or is it more possible that he will appear as Peach's B move again.

I think that Toad actually has a strong chance of making it in this time. People are just underrating his chances. :P Look at the recent evidence we've had. Toad has essentially been revived in NSMB Wii (after all he was a playable character and that game will definitely receive representation in SSB4 considering how successful it is). Additionally, Toad is getting more important in the recent games as well (Mario 3D Land as well). He has also been confirmed in more games since.

Also look at the evidence. On the Melee Japanese poll, Toad was fourth in line for requested Mario characters (after Bowser, Peach, and Wario), and those three made it in by Brawl (Wario might have been considered a Mario rep so that is why we did not get another Mario character). In the Brawl poll, Toad was the second most requested. Also, we must note that Toad has been in the Mario series since the beginning, and is the only playable character from the mainstream Mario games to not be playable in Smash as of yet (2 games with possibly more coming).

As for Peach's B move arguement, there are many ways to get over that. Toadsworth, Perry the Parasol, Peachs's vibes, etc. can replace Toad as Peach is not in a desperate search to finding moves as she did at the time prior to Melee.

If you want to see my reasons for Toad's inclusion + moveset, see this thread. I will be updating it shortly:

http://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=12714.0

Or we can just use another Toad.

Brawl was announced during 2005 and released in 2008. I don't see why people are pissed off.

I'm not mad... I think it's reasonable to have a great game in development for at least 3 years.

I think the only problem for Brawl is that Nintendo revealed the game a bit too early. Brawl had probably only just started development along that time. Perhaps, if Nintendo had revealed it a year later, then the game would not have been so rushed. I think the "overhyped" fans (and their impatience) were one of the bigger reasons...

Propeller Toad said:
I think the only problem for Brawl is that Nintendo revealed the game a bit too early. Brawl had probably only just started development along that time. Perhaps, if Nintendo had revealed it a year later, then the game would not have been so rushed. I think the "overhyped" fans (and their impatience) were one of the bigger reasons...
Brawl was rushed in what way?

Let me guess: It didn't have Toad, right?

The fact that there were so many delays to the release date of Brawl tells me that they were not willing to rush.

No, not for Toad. :)

But, it seems that a lot was seemingly rushed. For example, we have 7 possible characters (including Mewtwo and Roy) who were cut out at the last moment (even though the two I mentioned that nearly complete files). There were several themes cut out, and some of the later added characters got cloned like movesets (look at Toon Link and to an extent Wolf - the last few added characters). Additionally, the adventure mode seems to have take a speedier ending near the middle (initially the story was deep, but then the entire story sped up). Additionally, I think the delays were there as Nintendo kept rushing the release date, so they had to keep pushing the date till later. That's my thought.

The fact that they had unused files doesn't necessarily mean that they were left behind, it's also possible that they simply scrapped them because they were just not worth the effort not needed.

The one thing I did find rushed in Brawl was that Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf had no appearances in the story. My guess is that they were introduced after the story was underway and it would take too much time to redo the entire story.

If anything I heard Melee was more rushed then Brawl. It still ended up a good game, but didn't it have something close to only 2 years of Development?

Well, just because it had less time doesn't mean it was more rushed. After all, it had less characters and no complicated cutscenes that had to be made.

The Gamecube had limits compared to the Wii, and maybe the technology at the time wasn't much advanced compared to the Wii, though.

I can't wait for the new Super Smash Bros.! I always loved the series, even Brawl, and I am so looking forward to it

NintenDude88 said:
Also, I am starting to hate Sora...
...for it's idea for SSB4.... levelling up characters? In SSB? No way!
I don't think that's such a bad idea... As long as it's only in the story mode. I'm kind of a geek for leveling-up systems.

"Levels" are already in use when describing a computers level...

Dr. Javelin said:
The one thing I did find rushed in Brawl was that Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf had no appearances in the story. My guess is that they were introduced after the story was underway and it would take too much time to redo the entire story.

Wolf is questionable. He could've had a nice little anti-hero role. As for Jigglypuff and Toon Link, well, plot-wise, after all, in the anime, it would just show up, sing, get mad, and draw on everyone's faces. Jigglypuff wouldn't be much help in the actual storyline/cutscenes. Also, I heard that Jigglypuff's shield break ability would allow it to skip several levels. And we already have one Link, did we really need a second Link?

They had Young Link in Melee. I think Toon Link replaced Young Link

IMO, 2015 sounds like a reasonable date.

"A bad game is bad forever. A delayed game is eventually good."

Ornithologist Mario said:
"A bad game is bad forever. A delayed game is eventually good."
Shigeru Miyamoto said that, and I believe it still holds true.

Of course, with DLC and patches, some game developers think they can get away with releasing bad and/or faulty games.

Back