Advertisements

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
MarioWiki
SiFi
Recently (Or maybe I've only recently noticed), there have been advertisements on the wiki placed between the navigation-type boxes and the article. This may just be due to my laptop's low screen resolution, but to me it just looks like a mess. Do you think it could be placed somewhere more convenient?

Why do Google want to mess up our articles.

*Facepalm*
It's Porple's choice to display Ads anywhere he likes, not Google.
Porple gets money from these Ads.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
*Facepalm*
It's Porple's choice to display Ads anywhere he likes, not Google.
Porple gets money from these Ads.
I hope you're facepalming at NSY's comment, not SiFi's.

SiFi: If the ads are breaking pages on your screen, I think you should maybe tell someone like Porple and give details like your screen resolution and web browser.

Yes, I facepalm'd NSY, not SiFi.

Sorry but Porple needs to put the ads where the article could look as it should be.

I noticed the same thing too, actually. It's not that it's a computer problem, it just looks sloppy, I guess.

But as long as we don't sell our souls to Wikia and have pop-up advertisements, I'm cool with it.

>>New Super Yoshi
MediaWiki (the Wiki) is based on PHP, so changing 1 file makes changes to every single article, no matter what article.

>>Dr. Javelin
What does Wikia have to do with MarioWiki?

To me it looks like a mess. Thankfully, I'll download an ad-blocking add-on to get around the problem

...sounds like a conspiracy of blue and red mixed together with a replaced vowel in an array of all shapes and sizes to me. but i agree i get same problems

WagNak said:
...sounds like a conspiracy of blue and red mixed together with a replaced vowel in an array of all shapes and sizes to me. but i agree i get same problems
WagNak you are just the best.

If you use FireFox, I suggest that you get AdBlock Plus. You can right click the ad, block the image, add a filter, and you're all set.

Epic Nitwit said:
Whenever I click the link to the forum from the wiki, some ad pops up in another window.
I don't know why.
Yeah. Just now it happened. I was going to make a thread about it but it fits under this catagory. I use the wiki's link to the forums to get here.

PokemonMaster said:
Epic Nitwit said:
Whenever I click the link to the forum from the wiki, some ad pops up in another window.
I don't know why.
Yeah. Just now it happened. I was going to make a thread about it but it fits under this catagory. I use the wiki's link to the forums to get here.

Yeah, I use the wiki link, too. It's really annoying.

I'm always going here through my bookmarks, so I basically skip the Wiki.

While I understand us regular users have no (direct) control over the wiki's ads, I have a complaint. The left-side ad banner makes reading The 'Shroom tricky, requiring constant sideways scrolling (at least for me).

I haven't accessed other articles there, so I can't say for sure this happens with all the pages.

Chris Martin said:
While I understand us regular users have no (direct) control over the wiki's ads, I have a complaint. The left-side ad banner makes reading The 'Shroom tricky, requiring constant sideways scrolling (at least for me).

I haven't accessed other articles there, so I can't say for sure this happens with all the pages.

I did have to scroll sideways with the 'Shroom, but I just opened it, and it was normal.

Knife said:
The ads should go away if you log in or make an account.
Oh, that's good to know. I thought my Adblock was malfunctioning when I tried to whitelist Mario Wiki.

I'll go ahead and rewhitelist it since the ads on the forums don't bother me. I suggest everyone else does the same if the ads help the website have money to stay online.

EDIT: To further ad to my confusion, I had to whitelist both mariowiki.com and marioboards.com since it's two domain names now.

These are 2 domain names, as "forum.mariowiki.com" and "www.mariowiki.com" are still 2 URL's.

PokemonMaster said:
Epic Nitwit said:
I don't know why.
Or you could try this.

Back