The Value of 3D

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
I wanted to know, what do you think of 3D? I think it's wonderful, and I find it hard to play without it anymore. It really adds depth, and Super Mario 3D Land looks like it's going to be amazing in 3D.

Its fine to me but I never really use it (to save batteries). I never really bought the 3DS for the 3D graphics but for the new games. But it's really cool though, when I use it I only put it on by at least 50%.

What does 3D even add to the experience that a 2D plane doesn't already offer? You know, aside from clipped visuals and sore eyes.

You have a better view of how far away things are. It makes more sense when you actually see it for yourself. It's pretty cool. I think some games have a better 3D effect than others, and I think OoT 3D looks great in 3D.

3D doesn't hurt my eyes unless they are tired. I'll play with the 3D on the first playthrough of the games, but after that I occasionally turn it off because it gets annoying (because of how you have to hold it in front of you a certain way to get the effect).

I no longer play in 3D, because I can't even move my head or the 3DS by 1 millimeter because of 3D.
And for the people wondering how Super Mario 3D Land is in 3D, some parts of that game even require you to play in 3D, as you'll not clearly see on what platform a coin is, for example.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
I no longer play in 3D, because I can't even move my head or the 3DS by 1 millimeter because of 3D.
And for the people wondering how Super Mario 3D Land is in 3D, some parts of that game even require you to play in 3D, as you'll not clearly see on what platform a coin is, for example.
People don't give it enough credit. It's not that hard to maintain a good view. And for SM3DL, there's a button that changes the view so that you can see better.

It still doesn't make any difference, as the 3D platforms still look flat without 3D turned on.

Meh. It's not like those sections are so important... it's just Star Coins.

They could have a nice use, like they had in the New Super Mario Bros.-series, so I don't think they're not so important.

I think 3D is mostly hype, but I think it adds a nice, subtle effect to the game. It gets annoying how you have to hold it at a certain distance to achieve the desired effect, though.

3D is overrated, but it is a pretty nice aesthetics effect. I can totally live with it.

Baby Luigi said:
3D is overrated, but it is a pretty nice aesthetics effect. I can totally live with it.
That's the problem. Have you seen those commercials for the Evo 3D? How they take a video that makes the viewer think that the ball is coming out of the screen? That stuff is BS. It totally wouldn't work and is completely stupid. 3D is to add depth, not for special effects.
That said, I really like stuff popping out of the screen.

I don't think it's really 3D anyway. It's more of a depth enhancer. Real 3D would be like holograms.

Ornithologist Mario said:
I don't think it's really 3D anyway. It's more of a depth enhancer. Real 3D would be like holograms.
I think it's just that when you're playing you don't notice it that much. If you go over to the "Activity Log" The green pencil pops out a lot

Or you do, but you don't realize it.

I haven't played 3DS games much, so I don't know how well the "3D" effects show.

I actually went online to a 3D Games Image site - they had images of all these upcoming games. I think it was called Vektor 3D or something - well, that game, it REALL pops out at you. I mean, the tank you play as stays really far out of the screen.

Back